What is the astronomical event, which touched you the most?

Let's see your reports!
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What is the astronomical event, which touched you the most?

Post by messier 111 »

as i can see here, several are talking about the solar eclipse of 2117.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen this phenomenon, but I put the 2024 eclipse on my agenda.
I am thinking of going to Mazatlán Mexico.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

another memory comes to my mind, many here have talked about it. the aurora borealis.
I remember 1989 in March in the middle of the month.

a magnetic storm hits Quebec in its entirety, its happening overnight so no one knows yet. in the morning no one has electricity.

electricity comes back little by little in the evening.
suddenly I look at the sky and the show begins, shapes of all colors appear, green, blue, mauve, red.

it was by far the most beautiful spectacle of the northern lights that I have seen for life.
I remembered this while re-reading passages from this thread.

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Seeing the Double Cluster through a neighbor's 10" Cave reflector, also Jupiter and the Orion Nebula through the same scope.

Second would be seeing Hale-Bopp as a brilliant naked eye object in the 90's.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

I remember seeing Mercury, naked eye, in the spring at dawn not long ago in the S.E. It was with Jupiter or Venus. Only time I ever saw it.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

For me the one that started my fascination with space as a 14 year old - that old moon landing in 1969.

The second early 1970, my dad managed to find Saturn with our newly purchased Prinz refractor (Xmas present for me)

Much more recently, my next second light of Saturn this time I was older than my Dad was at the first viewing. Dad passed in 1991, and for some odd reason Saturn became blurry for a while.

Nostalgia can hit you between the eyes sometimes.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

The landing on the Moon.
The splashdown of Apollo 13.
Seeing the Milky Way at the Humphreys basin (It cast a shadow!).
The 2017 solar eclipse (Mostly the event of getting there, otherwise, meh).
Every stargazing/astrophotography/hiking/camping trip to the Sierras.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

It's hard to narrow it down to one event.

First view of Saturn through my Tasco at age 12. :)
The total solar eclipse of 1972 (Tuktoyaktuk) that my parents wouldn't let me go to. :(
The total solar eclipse of 1979 (Moose Jaw) that was right in my back yard, except that the air force sent me on a course, so I missed it. :(
A random backpacking trip in the Rocky Mountains: getting up in the middle of the night to answer the call of nature and seeing a Bortle 0 sky for the first time ever. :eek:
Comet Hyakutake in 1996. Wow, that thing was BIG!!! :Astronomer1:
Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997. My first astrophotography. :D

If I had to narrow it down, it would be Hale-Bopp.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Nice thread. I’m enjoying reading everyone’s memories. Many of your favorites are on my list.

A few odds and ends I remember with pleasure: the first time I saw a lunar eclipse as a kid, using my Dad’s old 7 x 35 binoculars. Comet Hale-Bopp. The partial solar eclipse in 1996, when I discovered that the gaps in the leaves of a tree acted as lenses to create hundreds of little eclipse images on the ground. The transit of Mercury last year (2019). The one time a few years ago here on my patio in Mexico that I saw color in M42. Subtle pink, maroon, and teal green. I spent a couple hours that night with different eyepieces observing the nebula, making the most of something I knew I would probably never see again.

The Northern lights on a late summer evening in 2016. I had a pact with my sister that we would call one another if we saw the aurora. I was out with my telescope that night, and called her, and she came down. She died the following summer; I’m glad we got to watch the lights in the sky together that night.

Finally, showing my Mom Saturn through my 8” Meade SCT when she visited me in PA from Michigan. It was a night of very good seeing. My Mom was entranced. Years later, she would say how she could not get over looking into my scope and there was Saturn, just hanging there in the sky.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

For me, like most, I cannot limit it to simply one event. Each was different and triggered differing reactions. Ultimately all of them elicit strong emotional memories for me that make me who I am as an observer.

1) Stepping out of my back door in March 1976 and seeing Comet West in the pre-dawn sky. No need for optical aid, as it was extremely large and bright, with a huge fanned tail arcing upward from just above the horizon. That was truly an emotional moment for me.

2) The first time I ever saw Messier 51 through my new Coulter Odyssey II 17.5 inch dob in the spring of 1980. I had observed it in much smaller apertures until that point, and we lived in the country in southern Indiana, so LP was not significant. I would guess conditions were likely Bortle 2 based on my recollection. It was photographic in appearance, with brightly sweeping spiral arms and mottled structure. It was so stunningly beautiful that in that emotional moment, I became a dedicated galaxy hunter for the rest of my life.

3) Like several others, the 2017 total solar eclipse. It was our first total and we drove to Kentucky from Virginia to witness it. I set up my AR127 and ED80 on the Twilight-II mount in a Walmart packing lot in Russellville, Ky and we shared the experience with about eight other folks who had collected around us. There were several such clusters of folks strewn around. I finally understood those that say "go total or go home." The visual treat of the solar eclipse was a truly visceral experience for us. From the anticipation and lead up, to the point where I could pull the filters off the refractors to view the totality, witnessing Bailey's Beads, the corona, Helmet Streamers and a fine prominence. Another aspect was the eerie light around us during totality - unlike anything we'd experienced before. We are looking forward to 2024, though April can be problematic due to spring weather. The path of totality goes through our home county in southern Indiana and we plan to be there.

4) The memories of the summer Milky Way when we lived in the countryside of southern Indiana in the late 70s and early 80s. Fortunately we can relive this feeling at our second house in the mountains of western Virginia at an elevation of nearly 2,800 ft ASL. It is typically a Bortle 3 and at times Bortle 2. The summer MW is stunningly bright, well structured horizon to horizon and awe inspiring. Not only that, but the winter MW is also easily discerned as a much subdued, though still easy, band of pale light wafting overhead in the cold air of winter. So we have the opportunity to enjoy that view over and over again by simply stepping out the door. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

Comet Hale-Bopp
2017 total solar eclipse from Wyoming
Numerous all-sky auroras
2001 Leonid Meteor Shower
Bortle 1 skies from high, remote locations
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Comet Hale-Bopp. I was working in Cleveland, Ohio. and living in Lakewood. In the evening and early night I would go out for walks and viewed it often over Lake Erie.

(That is my "event" because it was transient: it occurred and I witnessed it. Reading through the other responses, I have to add my first view of Saturn through a telescope the summer that I was nine. Others added astronautic events and under that rubric, I put my first Shuttle launch: STS-95. I was working as a clerk for NASA Exchange at KSC.)
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Like others, impossible to narrow 50+ years into one event.

1969 Man's first landing on the Moon, we were sent home from school and I watched it on TV from home that afternoon.
1974 My first solar eclipse, partial from home.
1978 First total lunar eclipse, really got committed to astronomy
1980 First light through my hand made 6" f7 reflector
1981 Working on a project on a smaller 16" telescope at Siding Spring Observatory, the late Tom Cragg, Chief Night Assistant,
gave us a walk around of the outside catwalk at the base of the dome of the 4m AAT telescope with the central Milky
Way overhead and extending to north and south horizons. These space walks are now banned due to WHS risk management.
1984 Two nights in April and May when seeing was perfect, magnification was only limited by the optics not the atmosphere.
Mars, Saturn and Jupiter at opposition.
1986 Halley's Comet
1994 First total solar eclipse from Bolivia
2001 Total eclipse in Kapini village, Zambia. 1000 villagers singing, dancing, celebrating around us.
2001 Leonid Meteor shower from western Queensland - great fireball display.
2007 Comet McNaught - the only "great" comet since the early 70's. (50 degree naked eye tail)
2011 Death of my teenage astronomy mentor, Arthur Page.
2015 Bright auroral display (Kp5) from Norway then total solar eclipse from the high Arctic (80N)
2018 Watching the Jan 31 lunar eclipse with my terminally ill friend and long-time solar eclipse observing partner - our last
eclipse together. The finality of our adventures together and the impending loss really hit me and the waterworks
started flowing while I was packing up that night.

cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

For me it was comet Hale–Bopp. We were living in an apartment then and were fortunately to live on the side to see it :) I bought a pair of Bushnell 10x50 binoculars.

What was significant about this is that it started me on the road to my astronomy hobby. A couple of years later we bought a house and soon after getting settled I bought my first scope. And as they say, the rest is history :D

Abb
Last edited by AbbN on Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Hale-Bopp as well. By Far.

These days - anytime I see Saturn and/or Jupiter - they are still stunning no matter how many times I observe them.

Any Galaxy is up there too.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Getting to watch Shoemaker-Levy 9 assault Jupiter (Live) is something I'll never forget.:)

Next, might not qualify. However, as former pilot, the greatest job of flying I've ever seen was when Neil Armstrong touched the Lunar Module down on the moon.

https://youtu.be/nOcDftgR5UQ
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I found another one. follow the soubresaut of Betelgeuse.
Will she transform into a supernova, several questions are raised with this episode.
it was very pleasant to see it change magnitudes and return to normal.

I remember there was an excitement in the scientific world.
many people don't want her to become a supernova, they say orion will never be the same again.
no Orion is going to be different and that's fine.

― Isaac Asimov