Let's see your reports!
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

What a few clear nights can achieve

Post by Greenman »

So, I will begin at the beginning on Wednesday night I had the first clear night for ages, but it was a work night. Well work is work, but clear nights are precious in the UK.. :D

I started of by aligning to Polaris by eye and finder scope (more on this later) , pointing the AVX north using polar scope align pro on the AVX saddle and then manual moving the mount in RA and latitude (not handset). When I then went for two star align vega sat nicely in my finder scope, but just outside the main scopes view, centred, aligned. Second star in main scope view. I added 4 calibration stars and didn’t bother with all star alignment. This gave me the best alignment I have had. Not in the, manual, but pragmatically it worked.

Now for a quick tour, I’m gong for galaxies, M31 spot on; a hazy large blob, why not Bode’s - once again seen with normal and even stronger with averted vision. OK, the first galaxy sightings off the list. Now to image Mars! Found Mars, centred moved from 25mm to 12mm centred, added 2x Barlow centred. Now for the ASI 224, hunt the thimble time, eventually located. Clear that the image was affected by heat turbulence but ran off a 640 by 480 video anyway. Waited a while, refound the planet and bumped off another capture. Mars still pretty small so ran a couple of 320 x 240 videos, then the clouds rolled in.

Packed away wondering about a RACI that was illuminated as centring the finder accurately is a bit hit and miss against a star... And that would really help the don't the thimble process. Anyway, tomorrow I process the Mars stuff.

Process & process, detail lacks and Mars seems an odd shape. I know the images should be better... Read up, think. One word - Collimation I have never checked this, but the small planet, higher magnification, and yes the slight fuzziness I saw on Saturn was worse than on Jupiter. Have a look at examples, ran across a post with an 8SE and the improvement he got in planetary.

OK, this scope has not been collimated, ever as far as I know. I believe that this was used in a project for my company sometime before I joined in 2014. My ex-boss gave this to me just before he left the company as they were going to scrap it.

Night arrived an here I am armed with a screwdriver and an impending sense of doom as I approached the business end of my scope. Trial turn of the screw that needed adjustment, and nothing, just a bit stuck thinks I. Nope, this was not inclined to move, tried the second and third... Ah, this was not going to be straightforward. So, I get my garage keys, now my eyes are dark-adapted, so I feel alone the bench and find the tip of a suitably sharp chisel, damn! A bit further along I find the can of WD 40.

As I wander back to the scope I wonder about spraying WD 40 at the front of my scope. Nah, I can do this... And I could, a couple of seconds later the screws we're lubricated, and each one was moveable. So I return to the eyepiece to gaze at the Airey disk, I now notice the stars are all attractive little arrows in the sky. Ah, now I’m sure it is not collimated, perhaps the screws we're a bit more sensitive than I expected?

A bit worried I tried to correct my heavy-handedness. After 45 minutes things looked good.

Swing the scope to Mars, with - perfect disk focussed well with discernable features. Now to buy myself some Bob’s knobs!

In the meantime, a good offer on an Orion RACI illuminated has appeared online. Snaffled, and added to the scope. Now that is one nice 9 x 50 and it fits straight into my Baader mount sweet. Tried it out and it is a star. Imaging Mars tonight and hope to have something worth posting. :telescopewink:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What a few clear nights can achieve

Post by Shabadoo »

I hope you have a fantastic adventure with your new collimating.
Scared me when you said wd40 and telescope are same time.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Shabadoo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:40 pm I hope you have a fantastic adventure with your new collimating.
Scared me when you said wd40 and telescope are same time.
Yeah, not the best option, but all I had to hand... That’s the reason for Bob's knobs a repetition is pushing things with WD 40 to the max.
Cheers,

Tony.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

What a relief that you succeeded!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congratulations Tony on winning the VROD for today (9-14-2021). A bit of persistence definitely paid off for you.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Nice report Tony!

Congratulations on the award!

Man, you can see Bodes naked eye! Wow!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Whew - twists and turns abound!

Glad everything seems to be coming together.

Congrats on the VROD!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Congratulations Tony on the VROD.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Good that everything worked fine after all.
Congrats on the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Tony. A very nice observing report from you. And despite the need for the WD40, you still came away with a nice session. Thanks for your fun read report Tony, and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I was a bit confused, why Tony is trying to image Mars now? But then realized that this is a trip back in time complements of Michael. :) Congrats on the VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

A blast from the past, and congrats Tony on the VROD.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

:observer: Wow, great to get a VROD, unanticipated and a reminder of my my misspent adventures in astronomy. :Astronomer1:
Cheers,

Tony.

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

helicon wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:31 pm Congratulations Tony on winning the VROD for today (9-14-2021). A bit of persistence definitely paid off for you.
Thanks Michael, much appreciated.
Cheers,

Tony.