First night out with Nexus II

Let's see your reports!
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

First night out with Nexus II

Post by KingNothing13 »

I was exhausted last night, and being a work night, I didn't plan on staying out for too long, but I wanted to try my new Nexus II. Really want to try. And the sky cooperated - very clear. Of course the moon was blinding, so I did not worry about dark adaptation so much.

I also think my secondary has gone - wonky - for lack of a better term. I need to figure out how to fix it - none of my EP's would come to focus - they all had to be moved up in the focuser tube slightly to achieve focus. Bleh.

But on to the report and the Nexus II.

I was only out for about an hour, just enough to test it (and log a new to me Messier, a new to me H400, and a new to me Carbon Star) but it was great and worth it.

I aligned the device and went to a familiar object first - the Nexus II put me spot on to all objects.

M11 (Wild Duck Cluster) - A beautiful patch of stars - if washed out a bit from the moon. Very nice to gaze upon though. One really bright star at about the center of the cluster. it was dim enough and I didn't spend long enough to really appreciate it tonight. But it is still a nice one.

M69 - New to me Messier. Been hunting for this one for a while now, and thought I was going to have to wait until next year at this point due to placement in the sky, houses and trees. Figured I'd try with the Nexus II now - and there it was - between a house and a tree. very, VERY dim - but there. Only observed with the 18mm as it was going to disappear behind said house quickly. Had a bright star leading it to the NW-ish area.

S Scuti - Carbon Star - Wow - a gorgeous red color - I would almost say bordering on red/copper/orange. Many brighter stars to the east and north, but thats about it.

NGC 7686 - (H400) - A weird small smattering of stars. In an a box with long handle or pointer arrow type configuration, pointing roughly W/NW. There is a bright orange star in the middle of the box/arrow that I suspect is not part of the cluster.

I then turned to Jupiter and the Moon - Watched Io approach Jupiter to start a transit, but did not watch the transit or the shadow transit as they were going to happen too late.

The moon was incredibly gorgeous - if VERY bright. The mountainous South was spectacular, as well as the crater filled west.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: First night out with Nexus II

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Some nice views and good to hear the Nexus is working well for you :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Nice report.
Thank you for sharing you first light with us.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

KingNothing13 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:55 pm [...] it was great and worth it.
Ain't that the truth? :) I love mine.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:50 pm
KingNothing13 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:55 pm [...] it was great and worth it.
Ain't that the truth? :) I love mine.
Very much the truth!

Now I just need to fix my secondary! :lol:
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Brett. A very good report from you. and the Nexus II. I am glad that you are very happy with this instrument, and you caught a lot of DSO targets, planets, and the moon too. Thanks for your excellent first light report Brett, and keep looking up. :telescopewink:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice catches there Brett!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255