Another bino night

Let's see your reports!
rocdoc
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Another bino night

Post by rocdoc »

This is a delayed report, these days I find it easier to grab binoculars and look than to right about sessions.
I am finding that the way I get my satisfaction out of this hobby has changed quite a bit. Some has to do with the stupid pandemic, which takes away my favorite activity – sharing the views, and spontaneous outreach. So, left with having to turn inwards to derive pleasure out of the observing itself, I have gravitated away from aiming for the most detailed views, or trying to get the most obscure targets, towards learning more about more accessible targets, and just enjoying and relaxing more under the stars. Hence the switch to a lot more binocular observation, grab-and-go style, and doing a lot more reading and learning.

This particular session was a few nights ago, with the Oberwerk 10x50 Ultra. I am liking this instrument more and more. It took some getting used to, and a big part of that is that individual focus when hand holding is quite annoying. But on the positive side, once set I have been able to do additional sessions without having to fiddle with the focus again. Very well built, solid instrument. Pulls out targets nicely in the horribly light polluted location I have to use them in.

I explored the bit of sky available on my deck, which stretches from a bit West of the NCP to ESE (just past Altair).
So, first off, I was very happy to actually see the Engagement Ring, the nice ring asterism around Polaris, with it starring as the gem of that ring.
Cassiopeia is now mostly climbing above the houses in front, so I hunted for stuff there. First, I learned the Eddie’s Coaster needs a bit darker skies, or higher altitude. Can’t dig out the relevant magnitude low as it is, I’m barely starting to guess at the Eastern end. I hope to see this soon, I’ve only recently learned about it.
But I still tried for ambitious targets close to the horizon, so I started between Ruchbach and Segin, and managed to dig out M 103, which was a direct vision nebulosity with a couple of individual stars visible in it. I caught a minimal glimpse of NGC 663 too, forming a wide triangle with the two stars mentioned above.
Moving West and South, I star hopped to Lambda And and found NGC 7686 NW of it. This is a nice open cluster seen for the first time in binos this size. Appeared as the two brightest stars, with a slight bit of nebulosity around them.
I looked for NGC 457, the Owl Cluster (although it's more ET to my eyes), but only ET's winking eyes (Phi Cas and HD 7902) were visible.
And since I was in Andromeda, with M 31 now up, I took several good looks, seeing more of it as it was climbing higher. This is required viewing when it’s up, of course.
Moved up into Cygnus, and saw M 39. This is a beautiful bino target, if you only expect dim fuzzies you may miss this one, as its main members are bright and more spread out. Lovely.
Then I went on to split 79 Cyg, a widely separated uneven pair, and 61 Cyg, a tighter (32”) pair of twins, a good test for binos, and this one does a good job splitting them clean.

And that’s all she wrote, folks. Looking forward to the next clear night (and one with less moonlight than the coming days will have) to go play again, and follow the other goodies slowly rising in my home corner of sky.
Properly collimated cornea-lens-vitreous optical apparatus, projecting on retinal sensor slightly limited by deuteranomaly, feeding through stock optic nerves into functional primary cortex, processed through frequently misfiring and buggy integrative cortex.
Other instruments: Skyline 8" Dobsonian, on a dob pod; Celestron Omni XLT 120 w GSO crayford focuser and Meade 5000 diagonal on Stellarvue M2C mount and Meade LX70 tripod; Oberwerk Binos: 25x100 Deluxe IF on Benro tripod with Oberwerk 5000 head or Farpoint parallelogram; 10x50 Ultra, usually on 3 Legged Thing Punks Trent monopod with Dolica trigger grip head; 8x42 Sport ED hand held. Main EPs: ES 82º 24mm and 11mm, Celestron Luminos 19mm and 10mm, Meade UWA 14mm, Meade HD-60 6.5mm. Filters: UHC, 13%, blue. Finders: RACI, Telrad, RDF, reticle.
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Another bino night

Post by Shabadoo »

Thank you for your awesome reports! I really enjoy them.
I like how you work pretty much by constellations. I’m looking forward to recreating your “Cygnus report” and “Ophychious report.”
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Nice session.
That is the kind of bino-session I always do too.
Very enjoyable report.Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very nice binoc report RD. I'll have to take a look at Eddie's Coaster through my binoculars once Cass is suitable placed high above the northern horizon.

Haven't been observing for the past few weeks, hence this delayed reply.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session Rocdoc! Casual or in-depth, I like them all. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257