Looked for Neowise, ended up turning clockwise...

Let's see your reports!
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Looked for Neowise, ended up turning clockwise...

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

This will be short and sweet, because there isn't a ton of new stuff to report. However, as I scanned the sky this morning hoping to see C2020 Neowise, I decided to try to find M31 and M33 again. M31 was a cinch. I have seen it a few times now. Too much glare from the Moon to find M33 again however.

Well next, I go back to the Triangulum constellation to try and navigate to M33 regardless, maybe I can find it anyway, in spite of the glare. I go up and scan above Triangulum....
Like the goldrush guy in Rudoloph The Rednose Reindeer said: "Nothing!"

Wait! What did I see? I see a galaxy up and to the east a bit. It turns out as I study the situation with Sky Safari, I realize I was in Perseus, and I unexpectedly found M34 nearby! Yes! My fourth Messier by binos. :D

So then I go more easterly and find the true Triangulum constellation, but nope. Too much moonlight. I did lower the binos and go to my left and found Pleiades, low to the horizon. At precisely 2:10 am, I saw what I am sure was the ISS. I am going to check my ISS data to confirm. If it was the ISS (easy to know it is the space station, once you have seen it a few times), then it was the 4th time I have seen it.

Well that was exciting to bag a new Messier! Oh yeah, Jupiter and the major moons were awesome as well. Got a few looks at it, Saturn and Mars too. Talk to you all later.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Looked for Neowise, ended up turning clockwise...

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Good session.... but Comet NEOWISE is now a post sundown object. Try then?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:27 am Good session.... but Comet NEOWISE is now a post sundown object. Try then?

Yeah, I found out reading that just a short while ago, after the fact. Yup, maybe tonight after work. I only work until 11:30 - ish. I will try then.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

According to the Heavens Above app, the ISS was over my head at 2:09 am local time, and I sighted it at 2:10, as it flew into my view of M45 in the east. Confirmed.
~Eric
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Thanks for the report and congrats for bagging your 4th Messier with binocs, Eric!

I'm also having fun bagging Messiers (and other bright non-Messier DSOs) with 50mm glass, but using monoculars (telescopes). Had a nice session two days ago which I've yet to report.

Hope to catch a glimpse of the comet soon. Will be good to see a bright comet for a change - PanStarrs was a real pain and I had to resort to my biggest 150mm or 6" scopes just to catch a fleeting glimpse of it for a second (or two).
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Have you been able to see M31's companions? M110 may be a little difficult in the binoculars - but should still be do able.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

terrynak wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:40 am Thanks for the report and congrats for bagging your 4th Messier with binocs, Eric!

I'm also having fun bagging Messiers (and other bright non-Messier DSOs) with 50mm glass, but using monoculars (telescopes). Had a nice session two days ago which I've yet to report.

Hope to catch a glimpse of the comet soon. Will be good to see a bright comet for a change - PanStarrs was a real pain and I had to resort to my biggest 150mm or 6" scopes just to catch a fleeting glimpse of it for a second (or two).

Thanks, Terry. :)

KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm Have you been able to see M31's companions? M110 may be a little difficult in the binoculars - but should still be do able.
Thanks, Brett. :) Ummm, well I have looked for M31's companions, but given my LP conditions, I have seen neither. I did see them when I had my 10" dob though, but I didn't log any Messiers back then (2016).
Last edited by Buckethead 2.0 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Eric
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Nice report, Eric. BTW Neowise is a morning AND evening object around here for the next few days.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

bobharmony wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:27 pm Nice report, Eric. BTW Neowise is a morning AND evening object around here for the next few days.

Bob

Thanks for the info, Bob. I figured it was possible in the morning hours too, according to info I have, but there are trees in the northeast that require any current attempts to take place after 4 am - to even have half a chance - and by then the Moon is bright and high, and dawn knocking on the door.

I think I am going to try nFA's suggestion and try it in the evening tonight, if it is clear. Failing that, I will likely move on.
~Eric
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

Great!

As far as Neowise, perhaps this will help you and anyone else. Here, it's still hidden behind the houses :(

Comet Location.jpg
Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

AbbN wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 pm Great!

As far as Neowise, perhaps this will help you and anyone else. Here, it's still hidden behind the houses :(

Comet Location.jpg

Abb

That is a nice graphic Abb, thank you very much. It looks like as the next two weeks evolve, I will have a better chance as it will appear higher in the evening and so it will be clearer to see atmospherically-speaking, as well as at a good declination (read "above any stupid trees") as well.
~Eric
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I'm checking for it every night until the 23rd. Foggy last night so no chance.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

According to my book, M103 is at +7.6 magnitude in Cassiopeia, is that doable in 10x50 binos and orange zone Bortle skies? What about M76 in Perseus? Is that way too dim for my situation to try?
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

As for my confusing the Triangulum constellation with stars in Perseus, I know what happened now...

With naked eye I saw Algol, Gorgonea Tertia, and 12 Per in a triangle, much like the shape of the smaller triangle of the Triangulum constellation.

By moving up and right from 12 Per (thinking I was moving away from Triangulum, and toward M33) I saw M34, which was up and right of 12 Per in Perseus.

I won't make that mistake again. :lol:
~Eric

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

AbbN wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 pm Great!

Abb
NIce Abb, thanks. Gives me hope that I will be able see it from my driveway at some point - I cannot see it from my normal observing spot in my yard due to a big tree (and houses).
-- Brett

List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Up until a few weeks ago, I only observed from my yard. What a difference just a hundred yards makes: across the street is a small park with no fences, so I just sit on benches over there, and this allows me to see a much bigger part of the sky.

Better yet, I am going on a short vacation the first few days in August to attend to a musical instrument purchase. And to get away for a couple days and enjoy the summer a bit.

I will be going to Acadia Natl Park (and to Cadillac Mountain ultimately) as well. It is the first point in the US to see sunlight each day.

But it also allows incredible night time views. I can't wait!
Last edited by Buckethead 2.0 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Eric

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:19 pm I will be going to Acadia Natl Park (and to Cadillac Mountain ultimately) as well. It is the first point in the US to see sunlight each day.
We have a trip up there planned for September. Currently we are still planning it - but that could change between now and then.

I am not bringing my 10" - but I will likely bring my smaller "TravelScope" to see what I can see from the house we are renting. And maybe drive up Cadillac, if they allow it, after sunset.

(And it's the first point on the Continental US - there are territories that are further east - Guam, USVI that see sunlight before :D)
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:19 pm I will be going to Acadia Natl Park (and to Cadillac Mountain ultimately) as well. It is the first point in the US to see sunlight each day.
We have a trip up there planned for September. Currently we are still planning it - but that could change between now and then.

I am not bringing my 10" - but I will likely bring my smaller "TravelScope" to see what I can see from the house we are renting. And maybe drive up Cadillac, if they allow it, after sunset.

I believe you can, which is my plan too. I've been a couple dozen times or more, but I can't remember the rules concerning going up Cadillac after sunset. I always went up during the day in the past.

However, each year there is a star party up there, so I imagine after hours access is possible, given that fact.
~Eric
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:43 pm According to my book, M103 is at +7.6 magnitude in Cassiopeia, is that doable in 10x50 binos and orange zone Bortle skies? What about M76 in Perseus? Is that way too dim for my situation to try?
Nice session Eric! Yes, both targets are doable with 10x50 binos. M76 is a challenging target, it will look like a faint fuzzy blinking star: nothing with direct vision, popping with averted vision.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:35 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:43 pm According to my book, M103 is at +7.6 magnitude in Cassiopeia, is that doable in 10x50 binos and orange zone Bortle skies? What about M76 in Perseus? Is that way too dim for my situation to try?
Nice session Eric! Yes, both targets are doable with 10x50 binos. M76 is a challenging target, it will look like a faint fuzzy blinking star: nothing with direct vision, popping with averted vision.
Thank you, Bigzmey. :D
~Eric