John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

10 and 11 july, Heavens from the city.

Post by John Baars »

It were actually two sessions: the first with my 6 inch f/5 achromat and the second with the 4,7 inch f/7.5 apo. On two different nights.
I observed most of the objects several times with both instruments. Partially for making a decision on which one to take along to my dark holiday location. I know, I did that all before and again and again, but I can't stop playing..... it is just so much fun..

When it was not dark enough yet I played with some double stars, like Epsilon Lyrae, the other double double, Delta Cygni. Seeing was OK, as well as transparency. Open clusters M11, NGC 6940, globular cluster M71.
After darkness fell , I turned to my UHC filter , admired M27 and looked at the Crescent NGC6888, even some nebulosity could be revealed. The Veil nebula was studied and I was happy to see that apart from the Eastern part NGC 6995 and 6992, the Western part showed some nebulosity too. Very nice for a city-observer. I thanked the transparency of the moment.

Jupiter and Saturn became visible above far- away buildings and trees. On both I used the 6 inch achro the first night and the 4.7 apo with ADC the second one. Differences are really obvious. On a transparent night the 6 inch achromat easily shows the details of a good 90-95mm, maybe slightly more. Quite satisfying if you are able to live with some CA. ( I don't blink my eyes, when I see it) .

Because a F/5 instrument is quite critical on focussing, I use a helical focusser on top of my prism. This way I am able to focus quite precisely, less than 0,01 mm, like a micrometer. Amazing how much difference that makes! It surpasses the 1:10 TS focusser.

When the APO ( with an extra added helical too) and the ADC ( Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector) come in it is like a fine woven net curtain is opened. More contrast, no more dispersion, all colors come together at the same right spot; more details! It is amazing how many details become visible in the belts for instance and how tack sharp Saturn looks. What beauties! I just sat there and enjoyed. Could have been sitting there for another hour.

At 2.00 hrs local time I realised there was a comet too! In order to observe that one I had to go to the North side of the house. Pity there are all kind of houses and trees over there. So I knew I had to go to the former room of my youngest son, one level higher with a big window on the North. I stored my telescope and went up the stairs with 7X50 and 15X70 binoculars.

Window wide open. Left of Capella, hmmm. A bit of searching. There it was! A stunning sight in my 7X50 already, only visible with the naked eye here under LP skies if you knew where to look. Nice bright core, and a long tail which seemed to have a dark lane in the middle on the first night. The view in the 15X70 was even more nice. a bit darker. A classical comet! Like the ones I saw on the pictures in the old days! The tail seemed to be over 3 degrees in the 7X50. Very pleased to see it. I knew comet West 1975 must have been looking like this, only double as bright. Never had the opportunity to have a good look of that, pity. I stood there for at least half an hour. This was the first bright naked eye comet in...a quarter of a century? Since Hale Bopp and Hyakutake.

Several nebulae, open clusters, double stars, stunning view of the planets and a comet. What could I possibly want more as a simple city observer?
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: 10 and 11 july, Heavens from the city.

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Excellent report, John! Very informative too, the comparison between the two different scopes, the heliacal focusser advantage, etc. Congrats on seeing the comet!
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Congratulations on some nice sessions. Interesting your use of the ADC!

Congratulations too on the comet. The contrast detail of the tail being brighter near the edges and less bright in the center corresponds well with what I saw at early the same time.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very nice sessions - city observing can be a good thing John! Didn't realize myself how much you could see even in heavily LP skies, as long as the skies are clear.

I should get a helical focuser for use with some of my scopes as well - need fine focusing for the planets.

Hope to see the comet soon...
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice John, two great sessions in a row :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Some quality time there and the comet on top. Congrats John!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255