Let's see your reports!
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Planets and DSOs (Three Sessions)

Post by terrynak »

7-8-20 (early morning)

Got out the Meade 127NT for some planetary viewing shortly after midnight. Used the NexStar mount:

Initially struggled with the focusing as the seeing varied. Used 162x and 171x. Since my views are “upside down”, directions reported are the reverse of what I’m seeing.
  • Jupiter – initially only Ganymede, Callisto, and Io was visible to the left of the planet. Soon Europa was visible as a dot sitting on the western limb – first time I’ve seen anything like this. Eventually Europa was fully out in the open and in line with the other moons.
  • Saturn – interesting to see Rhea and Titan below the planet in a vertical line.
  • Mars – again, the south polar cap was prominent, with some darker marking just above it. A very pleasing view.
7-8-20 (early evening)

Later that evening, got out the Galileoscope on the NexStar for some deep-sky work. Went from the heaviest to the lightest scope for this mount:

Not good for overhead targets because it’s a straight-through scope, but my other slow 50mm (Tasco 66TE) doesn’t have a dovetail bar for the mount.
  • M13 – high overhead, so I was craning my neck to see this (16x).
  • M5 – visible with direct vision at 16x, despite not being so high up in the sky.
  • M4 – FAIL; could not see this.
  • M80 – able to see at 29x.
  • M11 – visible at 29x with a few stars popping in/out of view, but could only view for a few seconds because it was tough on my neck being placed so high up.
  • M27 – just visible at 29x; more striking with broadband filter.
  • M39 – very nice OC; got the bug and sketched this cluster (29x).
Pleased with what DSOs I could see with the 2" despite my aperture and LP limitations.

7-9-20 (early morning)

Around midnight it was time for some planetary viewing, so next it was the Meade Polaris 70 on the NexStar:

Used 143x and 150x.
  • Jupiter – shadow transit of Callisto visible near the western limb just above the northern equatorial belt; was able to catch Callisto appearing as a dot on the same limb. First time I’ve seen both moon and its shadow just before transit.

Also a tiny brown spot was visible on the southern equatorial belt just south of the shadow transit; don’t think it was the GRS because it was so small.
Unfortunately, clouds came in from the east (inland) before I could get to Saturn or Mars.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: Planets and DSOs (Three Sessions)

Post by Peter802 »

Nice report Terry.
Thank you for sharing.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Bravo, Terry! Another fine performance and very well-written report. Thanks for sharing. I always learn something from your reports. Keep up the great work. I mean, play.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Peter802 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:14 am Nice report Terry.
Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, you're welcome Peter.

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:36 am Bravo, Terry! Another fine performance and very well-written report. Thanks for sharing. I always learn something from your reports. Keep up the great work. I mean, play.

Thanks, you're welcome Eric!

This is all new to me - looking at transits of Jupiter's moons, splitting double stars with 50/60mm scopes, studying the features of the Moon, and using 50/60mm scopes to find DSOs from city skies. A different way to enjoy astronomy, something which was unthinkable one or two years ago.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

terrynak wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:55 am
Peter802 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:14 am Nice report Terry.
Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, you're welcome Peter.

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:36 am Bravo, Terry! Another fine performance and very well-written report. Thanks for sharing. I always learn something from your reports. Keep up the great work. I mean, play.

Thanks, you're welcome Eric!

This is all new to me - looking at transits of Jupiter's moons, splitting double stars with 50/60mm scopes, studying the features of the Moon, and using 50/60mm scopes to find DSOs from city skies. A different way to enjoy astronomy, something which was unthinkable one or two years ago.
Your go get 'em attitude is infectious! I might have to go to the pharmacy and see if they have something for it, if you keep it up. :lol: Thanks again for the inspiration, Terry.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Nice Terry - thanks for sharing.

I am amazed at what you can see through the smaller scopes - great job.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nicely done Terry, keep them coming! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:24 pm Nice Terry - thanks for sharing.

I am amazed at what you can see through the smaller scopes - great job.

Thanks Brett, you're welcome.

I'm pleasantly surprised myself - given the LP in my city skies as well.

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:44 pm Nicely done Terry, keep them coming! :D

Thanks Andrey!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice Terry :)
Are you missing the dovetail for the 50mm?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:27 am Very nice Terry :)
Are you missing the dovetail for the 50mm?

Thanks Gabrielle!

Except for the Galileoscope, none of my long focal length 50/60mm refractors come with dovetail bar. They are on a fork mount or a mount with a clamshell. Would rather use these scopes because they all use a star diagonal. But my three shorter focal length 50/60mm 'fracs do come with a dovetail bar AND a star diagonal.

Also like your article on small aperture, long focal length refractors.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I thought it may be a lack of tube clamps which is quite common with these older refractors.
Canon makes lens rings that can be adapted for tube clamps then mounted on a dovetail plate.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:53 am I thought it may be a lack of tube clamps which is quite common with these older refractors.
Canon makes lens rings that can be adapted for tube clamps then mounted on a dovetail plate.

Actually the Galileoscope and my 3 other faster 50/60mm scopes don't come with a dovetail bar, but have a ¼-20 mounting nut on the bottom so that a Celestron dovetail bar adapter can be attached to the bottom of the scopes:

These originally came with the standalone version of the Celestron Astromaster alt-azimuth mount, which are no longer sold in this manner.

The point of all this is that I would rather use my 50/60mm scopes on a GOTO mount if I want to seek out Messiers and other bright DSOs quickly and efficiently, since star-hopping from heavily LP skies is time consuming (and difficult at times). To do this, the scopes need to have a dovetail bar attached. The best chance of success in spotting them is when they are high overhead, which requires a star diagonal. I guess I could use my 3 faster 50/60mm scopes (F/7.0, F/6.7, F/5.8) - all of which use star diagonals unlike the Galileoscope - with higher mag. EPs. Impossible to see anything through a straight-through scope like the Galileoscope if the target is at or near the zenith.

I could get a pair of tube rings (and dovetail plate) for my 60mm scopes originally on a fork or clamshell mount, so that I have the option of using them on the NexStar. But low on my list of telescope equipment priorities.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have used these in the past for smaller diameter refractors and after showing my set up to Bryan he uses a set with his 60mm refractor.
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_nkw=T ... 3364761856

They do come in various sizes down to 50mm. Mount them on a dovetail bar and you are ready to observe :)
Gabrielle
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:48 pm I have used these in the past for smaller diameter refractors and after showing my set up to Bryan he uses a set with his 60mm refractor.
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_nkw=T ... 3364761856

They do come in various sizes down to 50mm. Mount them on a dovetail bar and you are ready to observe :)

Thanks for the info and link Gabrielle!
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Outstanding Jupiter observations!
Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.