Let's see your reports!
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Double Solar System Session

Post by terrynak »

7-2-20

Partially cloudy, but still good enough for some lunar observing. Clouds were continuously moving in from the coast eastward (marine layer).
With the moon lower down the horizon, the straight-through 50mm F/10 Galileoscope seemed like an appropriate choice, mounted on a sturdy Celestron Astromaster alt-az mount:

Used 56x (9mm Orion Expanse), occasionally going up to 83x (6mm Orion Expanse). With the moon close to full, surface features were very bright.
  • 12-day Moon – the seas and the rays (especially from Tycho) are prominent now. The most notable craters are 45m Aristarchus to the north with its bright reflectivity, and the massive 200+m Schickard to the south near the terminator, with its smooth floor. Other highlights include Gassendi in the middle with its low mountain ring and peaks in the center and smaller crater bordering the top wall; Schroter’s U-shaped valley next to Aristarchus; Kepler with its bright ray; edge-wise view of Phocylides on the terminator next to Schickard; and the triplet of equal-sized craters Zuchius, Bettinus, and Kircher a little to the south of Schickard and Phocylides.

There are a ton of smaller craters and features near the terminator well worth exploring.
Clouds kept moving from west to east, making the moon dark, then bright, then dark again.

7-3-20

At about 1 AM, went back outside and the skies were now calm and clear; Jupiter and Saturn were on the southern horizon so out I went again with the Galileoscope. The first time I’m seeing the gas planets and Mars this year.

This time I used my 7.5mm Orion Sirius Plossl (67x) and 6.3mm Orion Sirius Plossl (79x) EPs, thinking they might provide sharper views than my workhorse Expanse EPs, despite their narrower FOV.
  • Moon – re-observed the features described above with the Plossl EPs. Excellent views despite the smaller FOV.
  • Jupiter – crisp with the equatorial bands prominent and all four Galilean moons in line (two to the left and two to the right of the planet).
  • Saturn – beautiful, with a hint of the Cassini Division visible because of the calm air. Titan in view as well.
  • Mars – visible lower down the south-eastern horizon. Despite this, dark markings were evident on the tiny red-orange gibbous disk.
Overall, a very satisfying view of the Moon and planets through the Galileoscope. Excellent seeing conditions helped on the planets.

Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Double Solar System Session

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A couple of nice sessions Terry, thank you for sharing them :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Nice Terry - thanks for sharing!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Two great sessions Terry. Congrats!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Hello terrynak:

Great night out. I will be taking my first observation of Mars tomorrow morning. Your post has me really excited.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:26 pm A couple of nice sessions Terry, thank you for sharing them :)

Thanks, you're welcome Gabrielle. :)

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37 pm Nice Terry - thanks for sharing!

Thanks, you're welcome Eric!

helicon wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:47 pm Two great sessions Terry. Congrats!

Thanks Michael - hope you're having a nice time away from the city!

Refractordude wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:54 pm Hello terrynak:

Great night out. I will be taking my first observation of Mars tomorrow morning. Your post has me really excited.

Thanks, wasn't expecting these planets to be out this early, my first time viewing them in 2020. But surprised that Mars looked this good with the detail visible, even though it was low down the eastern horizon and through a 2" scope! Should look really good in your new 6" 'frac. Will try to get another look tonight of all the planets, despite the fireworks!
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice sessions.
The instrument remembers me of the ones I used to read about in the early seventies, including the observations. Very nice!
Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

John Baars wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:13 pm Very nice sessions.
The instrument remembers me of the ones I used to read about in the early seventies, including the observations. Very nice!
Thanks!

Thanks John, you're welcome!

The Galileoscope was mass-produced for the Year of Astronomy 2009. When you purchase the kit, you assemble all the parts yourself. It comes with a high quality doublet objective and if you replace the plastic eyepiece lens with regular 1.25" glass EPs, the views through the scope are quality.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Glad that you managed to catch some nice planetary views Terry!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:44 am Glad that you managed to catch some nice planetary views Terry!

Thanks Andrey! Might try again tonight despite the fireworks because of the clear skies. Want to see the full moon up close.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Your views of the Moon are inspiring to me, Terry. On nights when the Moon is so bright I will have to make it a focused target (pun intended). And finally you got to see Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn this year! Excellent report, thank you. :D
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:06 pm Your views of the Moon are inspiring to me, Terry. On nights when the Moon is so bright I will have to make it a focused target (pun intended). And finally you got to see Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn this year! Excellent report, thank you. :D

Thanks Eric, the moon is becoming the highlight of my observing (when its out), after being ignored for so long. It's a new area for me.

It was pretty exciting to finally see these planets. They require larger scopes, but pleased with the views I got from my 2" 'frac.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

You sure get some mileage out of these smaller scopes, that's awesome! Congrats on Jupiter and Saturn, too!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:37 pm You sure get some mileage out of these smaller scopes, that's awesome! Congrats on Jupiter and Saturn, too!

All the best,

Thanks Mark! It was good to finally see the gas planets, even through a 2" 'frac.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congratulations Terry on winning the VROD of the day, an award we didn't have last year, otherwise your report would have been a fine candidate! So we advance the clock exactly one year to the day since last summer.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Terry on the VROD!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello Terry. This is a great observing report from you with the 50mm F/10 Galileoscope. Lots of nice lunar and planetary finds in your report. And, even with my large collection of 1.25" eyepieces, I still use many of those that you used for your session. Thanks for a very nice observing report Terry, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Congrats on the VROD Terry!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Thanks for the report, Terry! :) However, with you using a refractor instead of a long reflector, my whole universe seems a bit surrealistic right now! ;)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very inspiring Terry, thanks for sharing.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D