My binos, me and M33...

Let's see your reports!
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: My binos, me and M33...

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:20 pm Good for you Eric! M33; that's a target that's elusive from here, especially with the weather lately. Nicely done, especially with bino's :D Jupiter as well, at least you got to see all the viewable-from-here Moons.By the time my bladder woke me there were only three Moons visible...
And another one, M33, for your Messier list as well!

Happy fathers day and all the best,
Yep, my third Messier. I am logging them for my M35 Award eventually. It won't be accomplished by binoculars only though. I will never live that long. :lol:

And Happy Father's Day to you as well, Mark. :D And get those ribs healed. Let someone get the remote for you. ;)
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congrats Eric. Most of the time I can't see M33 at home, even though it is actually easier to see in binos than in a telescope. I did manage a great view a couple of years back with my 15x70's from a dark sky location. I looked at the triangle, aimed, and there it was - a bright blob with hints of the upper spiral arm visible. I have never had such a good view again.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

helicon wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:26 pm Congrats Eric. Most of the time I can't see M33 at home, even though it is actually easier to see in binos than in a telescope. I did manage a great view a couple of years back with my 15x70's from a dark sky location. I looked at the triangle, aimed, and there it was - a bright blob with hints of the upper spiral arm visible. I have never had such a good view again.
Well, you can tell from my description that it was very faint here as well. So much so, I had to revisit it 3 or more times in the same session, by checking it's location compared to stars I could easily identify. Between the Sky Safari app (in Night Mode, of course), nearby stars to compare it too, and relative distances as compared to my sky charts when I came inside, I'm sure I nailed it. Especially after nFA's post. It was as he said. But still, very, very faint. My eyes are not 100%, so that is always a factor as well.
~Eric
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Spent the last two nights at two dark sites in southern Illinois, but spent all my time in Scorpius and Sagittarius. 😁
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:27 pm Spent the last two nights at two dark sites in southern Illinois, but spent all my time in Scorpius and Sagittarius. 😁
Nice! Do you have a report for us?
~Eric
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on catching M33 Eric! Well done. I like simplicity and tranquility of bino sessions and one can see a lot with experience.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:21 pm Congrats on catching M33 Eric! Well done. I like simplicity and tranquility of bino sessions and one can see a lot with experience.
Thank you, Bigzmey :D
~Eric