Observing Report for 15 January 2021 - the bonus round

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 15 January 2021 - the bonus round

Post by kt4hx »

This is a report that certainly wasn’t expected as we had planned to head home on Friday the 15th. But since it was snowing in the morning and we had no pressing need to return that day, we decided to stick around. When I checked the forecast on a whim, I was surprised to see a forecast of clearing in the early evening, around 1900. However, fog settled into the valley in the late afternoon and though the forecast remained as is, I was doubtful.

I kept sticking my head out the front door to check and finally about 2130 the fog had settled and the sky was mostly clear. I hurriedly layered up, went to the garage and starting moving stuff out to my normal observing spot. Just on the off chance I might be able to get out, I had shoveled the snow in that area and though there was only about one inch of snow, I preferred not to set my stuff up in that.

So when all was said and done, I was up and running by about 2200. This was later than I had hoped to start, but the weather makes those decisions for us. The temperature was around 25° (F) but at least there was no wind. Humidity was high, so I put my dew heating straps on the RACI and Rigel QF finders. Scope and finders were aligned, ES 82° 18mm in the focuser and the Ethos 13mm in the right coat pocket and XW 10mm in the left. The XW 7mm remained in the case ready to go as needed. It was time to get started to see how long I would last under a cold winter sky.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
ES 82 18mm (110x, 0.7° TFOV, 4.0mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

(Treasure found)

The first order of business was to revisit a field from the previous evening, north of mag 4.0 Mu Eridani. During that session I observed NGC 1653, 1654 in Eridanus and NGC 1661 just over the border into Orion. However, when organizing my notes, I noticed in Uranometria (but not the IDSA) a galaxy plotted between NGC 1654 and 1661, NGC 1657 just inside Eridanus. I did not notice it at the time so I headed back to study the field specifically for this object.

NGC 1657 (Eridanus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.2’x0.8’, SBr=13.5):
Quickly locating Mu Eri northwest of Rigel, I nudged north easily picking up NGC 1653 as with the previous outing. Slipping further north I then spotted NGC 1654 and then bumped east to NGC 1661 passing over a 9th mag field star that lay just inside Orion. This was a repeat of the previous session to put me where I needed to be. I studied the field between NGC 1654 and the 9th mag field star most closely. As my eye relaxed and adjusted to the field, I spotted my quarry with some difficulty at 110x as nothing more than a small and very dim dust mote. Using 152x it was easier but still a very weak homogenous oval. With 199x it had a little more contrast in the field, but still weaker than NGC 1654 in the same FOV about 5’ to the west. Mission accomplished! (New)

NGC 2024 (Orion, reflection nebula, size=30.0’x30.0’):
I next quickly took a look at the famous Flame Nebula northeast of Alnitak, the eastern-most belt star. With 110x and no filter it was quite apparent, as two sections separated by a very apparent dark lane. Both sections displayed ragged uneven edges, with smaller, intrusive dark lanes piercing their structure. They also exhibited varying brightness and density levels within their respective structures. Dropping in the DGM NPB filter, the view became even more entrancing. The filter significantly boosted the contrast and with it, the depth of the details already noted. Not as gloriously bright to the eye as M42, it was nonetheless a beautiful and memorable delicate structure.

IC 421 (Orion, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=3.3’x2.9’, SBr=16.4):
About 2.5° SSW of the Orion Nebula complex, I went in search of this dim low surface brightness galaxy. Studying the field just east of a 10th mag field star, it took me a few moments to latch onto its very dim homogeneous out of round oval glow using 110x. Viewing with both 152x and 199x, though it was still ghostly in appearance, I didn’t find it difficult to see. However, if one was not looking for it specifically, it would be easy to pass over its low surface brightness glow. (New)

Messier 46 / NGC 2437 (Puppis, open cluster, mag=6.1, size=20.0’, class= III2m):
I now skipped over Canis Major and slipped into Puppis. This is one of the most beautiful open clusters in the sky and I stopped by briefly to take a quick look. At 110x it did not disappoint, as it dominated the field of view with myriad stars dazzling the eye. I have always been partial to more concentrated and rich clusters like this one as opposed to more “open” and scattered ones. Plus this one has a unique bonus.

NGC 2438 (Puppis, planetary nebula, mag=10.8, size=1.3’, SBr=11.1):
The fine planetary is the unique bonus when one observes M46. A foreground object, it was quite prominent floating among the stars of the cluster near its northern side. At 110x without a filter it presented a large (for a planetary) round whitish orb that was clearly uneven in illumination. I did not push the magnification nor use a filter this time to glimpse its annularity. Its central star at mag 17.7 was clearly out of reach, though it does have a couple of brighter foreground stars involved.

NGC 2501 (Puppis, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.4’x1.0’, SBr=13.5):
Moving east from the previous objects, I located the field for this dim lenticular. Using 110x I just barely perceived it in the field of view as a small non-stellar pip. At 152x it presented a small and dim oval that was homogeneous to the eye. Moving to 199x, I caught glimpses of an intermittent stellar core, but overall the galaxy remained small and dim in the field. (New)

MCG -2-21-1 (Puppis, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.0’x0.9’, SBr=13.4):
About 8.5’ northwest of the previous object I searched for this galaxy with 110x but could not located it. Moving to 152x it was only a suspected dim dust bunny just west of a small diamond of four field stars (12th and 13th mag). Dropping in the XW 10mm (199x), I confirmed its presence in the field as a small and very dim round homogenous fluff of light. Going ahead up to 283x it was more obvious yet remained a weak presence in the field. (New)

NGC 2525 (Puppis, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.6, size=3.0’x2.0’, SBr=13.3):
While I was in the area, I stopped by this previously viewed galaxy at the Puppis-Monoceros border. I last saw it in February of 2018 when pursuing the Type-Ia supernova SN 2018gv which had appeared in the galaxy. This time around, sans supernova, it was easily seen at 110x as a slightly large and somewhat bright homogenous thick oval. Also viewed at 152x and 199x it was quick obvious within the field of view, lying almost halfway between two stars of 8th and 9th magnitude.

MCG -2-22-5 (Puppis, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=2.0’x0.4’, SBr=13.3):
Just over 4° east of the last object and next to the Puppis-Hydra border, I pinned down this with some difficulty. Not seen at 110x, and only suspected at 152x, it was confirmed using 199x. It presented as a very dim, thin homogenous flattened oval. A 13th mag field star was noted just at its eastern tip. (New)

NGC 2504 (Canis Minor, peculiar galaxy, mag=13.3, size=0.5’x0.4’, SBr=11.3):
I now moved into the little dog to pick up some additional galaxies in the area east and northeast of Procyon near the border with Cancer and Hydra. Its glow was just picked up at 110x, using 152x and revealed a small and dim rounded glow. Going ahead up to 199x I picked up a fleeting stellar core within its still small and dim disk. (New)

NGC 2470 (Canis Minor, spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=2.0’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
Picked up at 110x, this small and thin oval was slightly bright to the eye. Evenly illuminated across its disk, it was obvious at 199x lying just south of a 13th mag field star. It also displayed an elongated broadly bright interior along the major axis. (New)

UGC 4203 (Canis Minor, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.6’x0.6’, SBr=12.2):
Just over 1° ESE of NGC 2504 I picked up this small homogenous oval that appeared marginally bright to my eye at 110x. Also viewed with 152x and 199x it was an obvious presence in the field as a small and diffuse oval. (New)

UGC 4228 (Canis Minor, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=2.0’x1.3’, SBr=13.3):
Just 42’ ENE of the last object I picked up my next galaxy. This small oval was slightly bright and homogenous to the eye at 110x. Viewing with 152x it was an obvious presence in the corner of a right angle asterism of eight field stars ranging from 11th to 13th magnitude. There were four stars on either side of the galaxy as it served as the hinge point of the asterism, which made for an interesting field. Then at 199x a non-stellar core brightness was detected in this nice galaxy. (New)

IC 498 (Canis Minor, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.9’x0.8’, SBr=13.2):
About another 40.5’ east of UGC 4228 I just barely detected this small and very dim dust mote using 110x. Also observed using 152x and 199x it was more obvious in the field, but still remained a pretty dim and small homogenous round disk. (New)

NGC 2538 (Canis Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.5’x1.2’, SBr=13.0):
Over 1.5° to the SSE and right at the border with Hydra I swept up this small but somewhat bright thick oval. Homogenous in appearance, it was not difficult at 110x. Viewed at 152x and 199x it was an obvious object within the field and now displayed a broadly brighter core region. (New)

NGC 2499 (Canis Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=12.7):
Moving back to the northwest and just under 1° west of the border with Cancer, I notched my final object of the evening. After arriving at the correct field, its presence was only a fleeting suspicion at 110x. Though confirmed at 152x it was quite weak, Going up to 199x, while more apparent, it remained weak within the field as a dim and small homogenous oval. (New)

It was nearly midnight and the shroud on the scope was frosting up significantly (the finders remained clear though), my feet were getting cold despite the boots, and I was simply tired in general. So I moved my gear back to the garage and went inside to some pleasing warmth and relaxation. Checking the temperature, it was now 22° (F) outside. Still clear but I was done! Thanks for shivering along with me.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 15 January 2021 - the bonus round

Post by Juno16 »

Great report Alan and congratulations on so many new observations!

It is amazing how much is up there if you have dark skies and the right equipment (big). Thanks for sharing some of this fine vastness with us!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks for sharing Alan, another fine and detailed observing report.
Ivan
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for sharing.
I particularly liked the description of M 46 and its planetary guest.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

What a great haul of galaxies Alan! Messier 46 / NGC 2438 is one of my favorite combos as well.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:45 pm Great report Alan and congratulations on so many new observations!

It is amazing how much is up there if you have dark skies and the right equipment (big). Thanks for sharing some of this fine vastness with us!
Thank you Jim. Indeed, there is far more up there than than meets the eye under typical conditions. Galaxies of course are far and away the most prolific DSO type, so with the right conditions and aperture there is an unending supply of them. Granted galaxy hunting is not everyone's cup of tea, and I get that. In the vast majority of cases what one sees is not visually impressive. However, as I am fond of saying, I observe not only with my eyes, but also my mind. I contemplate what it is I am seeing, and the vast time and distance that small amount of light has traveled to reach my eye in that moment.
NGC 1365 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:13 pm Thanks for sharing Alan, another fine and detailed observing report.
Thank you Ivan, I appreciate you taking the time to read the report and travel along with me.
John Baars wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:37 pm Thanks for sharing.
I particularly liked the description of M 46 and its planetary guest.
Thank you John. M46 and NGC 2468 are indeed a marvelous duo. I find there is something special about having two types of DSOs within the same view.
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:56 pm What a great haul of galaxies Alan! Messier 46 / NGC 2438 is one of my favorite combos as well.
Thank you Andrey. It was an unexpected happy surprise that I got an extra observing session in while we were there.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
patrickdives
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by patrickdives »

Alan, Thank you for such interesting and detailed reports of your observations. For new folks like me, it give me some future ideas for observation sessions.
Equipment: Obsession Classic 15, Televue Ethos (13, 21, 6) Televue Nagler (22, 31), Explore Scientific (6.7, 18),

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

patrickdives wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:11 pm Alan, Thank you for such interesting and detailed reports of your observations. For new folks like me, it give me some future ideas for observation sessions.
Thanks Patrick. As you can see by the three reports in January (and most of my reports actually), my favorite objects are galaxies. I became a devoted galaxy hunter back in the late 1970s when I observed Messier 51 through my then new Coulter 17.5 inch dob for the first time. The mirrors from that scope still live on in the truss scope you see in my avatar, though the primary was re-figured and re-coated about 11 years ago. :)
Alan

patrickdives
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by patrickdives »

I totally understand. Galaxies are amazing to see. How long it takes them to get to us is always on my mind during my observation.

That is very cool about the mirrors. Your old scope's heart beats on.
Equipment: Obsession Classic 15, Televue Ethos (13, 21, 6) Televue Nagler (22, 31), Explore Scientific (6.7, 18),
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Sorry to come in so late. Another great observing report from you with a large cache of celestial treasures. The temperatures here have risen recently, but we still have 90% humidity and fog the last couple of days. However, the weather prognosis is for better skies in the next few days, so I may get a chance to grab some of the wonders that you described in your report. Thanks for you latest installment Alan, and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

as always very instructive , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 pm Hi Alan. Sorry to come in so late. Another great observing report from you with a large cache of celestial treasures. The temperatures here have risen recently, but we still have 90% humidity and fog the last couple of days. However, the weather prognosis is for better skies in the next few days, so I may get a chance to grab some of the wonders that you described in your report. Thanks for you latest installment Alan, and keep looking up.
Thanks Marshall. Humidity and fog can certainly wreak havoc with the sky. Hopefully things will even out for you in the near term.
messier 111 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:56 pm as always very instructive , thx .
Thank you Jean-Yves. Appreciate you taking the time to read my reports.
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan and it is featured as today's VROD.

The reason being M46 and NGC 2438 are well-positioned for viewing currently and forum members are encouraged to track them down in the same field of view. Congratulations on the award and for your bevy of successful observations from last winter.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Congratulations on getting out at all, and thank you for the fine report of a successful night observing. I'm just sitting here at my keyboard pouting that I have snow on the ground, snow in the forecast, and my dome is still covered for the winter.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

After re-reading the first part it occurred to me that the finding of NGC 1657 reads like a thrilling book!
Good work, well done!
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session and report, Alan! We had a group from the Culpeper Astronomy Club over to Morning Calm Observatory (MCO) on Wednesday night, and M46 and it's hosted Planetary was one of the objects...viewed through Don's 20 inch Obsession (the 30 inch Obsession has been temporarily retired). Always a great capture!!

Congrats on the VROD.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

VROD 👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

That was fantastic !! 👏🏻
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Congrats on the NGC 1657 and the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.