Observing Report for 03 December 2021 - Pereus Galaxy Cluster + a few other things

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 03 December 2021 - Pereus Galaxy Cluster + a few other things

Post by kt4hx »

An opportunity to take a trip over to the dark site house presented itself so I took advantage while I could. I didn’t get left as early as I had initially planned so my arrival came after 1830 and the sky was already in astronomical darkness. After the requisite unloading of the truck and calling Mary to let her know I had arrived safely, I started moving stuff out of the garage. I noticed I had forgotten my “long johns” and with the temps in the lower 40s into the upper 30s, I was sure I was going to start getting chilled eventually. After doing initial collimation of the scope in the garage I rolled it out and tweaked it once it was into its position for the outing. I then aligned my unity and optical finders. Spreading my Interstellarum (IDSA) and Uranometria out on the table, and selecting the eyepieces for the evening, I swung the scope toward Perseus.

To settle in I would visit a previously observed cluster that is featured in the current edition of the TSS Monthly DSO Challenge – NGC 1582. Then my main thrust for the evening would be to delve into the Perseus Galaxy Cluster (Abell 426). I would then visit Messier 1 for the umpteenth time as it is also in this month’s Challenge, then wrap up chasing down a few galaxies in Auriga once it gained a bit of elevation. All in all by the time I was ready to go, it was pushing toward 2000 hours. So let’s get started.

(Equipment Used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
XW 5mm (397x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.1mm exit pupil)
Orion O-III filter

NGC 1582 (Perseus, open cluster, mag=7.0, size=24.0’, class= IV2p):
Aiming the scope at Epsilon Persei (mag 2.9) I star hopped eastward to pick up firs 52 Per (mag 4.7) then 58 Per (mag 4.2) and then nudged north to find the mag 6.1 double star 57 Per (companion HD 28693 is mag 6.8). Nearly a degree NNW of this pair I could see the brightest stars of the cluster in the 8x50 RACI optical finder. Moving to the eyepiece (152x) the scalene triangle near the center of the cluster field dominated the view. Trailing off to the southwest were two parallel lines of stars, while a very low stellar density void extended from the triangle to the south and SSW. A pretty scatter of stars lay northeast of the triangle, adding more character to the view. Without being too aggressive about it, I easily counted upwards of 50 stars strewn across the field. It was fairly well detached from the general field and a bit coarse in structure. Still a pretty cluster all in all.

Abell 426 (Perseus, galaxy cluster, # of members=500+, size=190.4’):
After allowing my eyes to adjust to the night environment and warming up my observing eye by re-visiting NGC 1582 (last observed five years ago), I felt I was ready to tackle my primary goal for the evening. So I aimed the scope at Algol (Beta Per) and slipped 3° east to a group of stars that looked like a miniature, crooked kite-shaped “Bootes.” To this group’s NNW is a tiny northward pointed triangle of stars. I used the bottom of this triangle to point my way into the heart of Abell 426, where I easily picked up the primary pair of galaxies at the heart of the cluster, surrounded my multiple little fuzzy glows. Here are the fuzzy fruits I was able to pluck from the cluster field.

NGC 1275 (Perseus, peculiar galaxy, mag=11.9, size=2.3’x1.6’, SBr=13.1):
I observed this galaxy about five years ago from our then Bortle 5 backyard using my 12 inch. This Seyfert 1.5 galaxy, along with NGC 1272 is the dominant feature of the cluster. Also known as the radio source Perseus A, it is in turmoil because of strong interaction with a second galaxy. Visually, this disruption was not seen. But at 152x it was a bright and small thick oval glow that displayed a stellar core.

NGC 1272 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.8, size=2.2’x2.0’, SBr=13.1):
Just 5’ WSW of NGC 1275 was another right rounded glow that likewise contained a stellar core at 152x. I also observed this one about five years ago. This pair dominated the view of the central part of the cluster field, like a pair of eyes staring back at me with many smaller and dimmer diffuse eyes scattered in the periphery.

NGC 1273 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=12.3):
Forming a triangle with the two main galaxies, just to their north, was this dimmer lenticular. At 152x it presented a dim and fairly small homogeneous rounded glow. Viewed at 199x a stellar core was detected within the center of the diffuse glow, which was more than likely attributed to a 9.4 mag field star imposed on its disk. It remained dim, but not difficult at all. (New)

NGC 1274 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=12.4):
Only 2.5’ east of the previous object and in the same FOV, I picked up this very small and very dim non-stellar diffuse pip at 152x. It was a little more apparent at 199x though it remained dim and evenly illuminated. Even at 283x it was a weak player in the field. (New)

MCG 7-7-61 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.2, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=13.6):
Mislabeled as IC 1907 in Uranometria (chart A4), this elliptical was picked up at 152x just over 2’ NNW of the previous object and formed a triangle with it and NGC 1273. At 152x it was dim and small, slightly oval in shape and evenly illuminated. Though it remained dim at 199x and 283x it was not difficult. (New)

NGC 1277 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=12.3):
About 3.5’ NNE of NGC 1275 and within the FOV with it, I found a pair of galaxies. The northern of the duo was this small lenticular. At 152x it presented a dim homogeneous oval glow, small in visual extent. Using 199x a stellar core was picked up and though the galaxy remained slightly dim, it was not difficult to discern. (New)

NGC 1278 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.5’x1.3’, SBr=13.2):
Immediately SSE of the previous object and nearly in contact with it, this slightly bright thick oval was easily seen at 152x. It was clearly the brightest of the pair. An intermittent stellar core was noted, which became a steady presence at 199x. (New)

NGC 1281 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.3, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=12.9):
Just a few minutes NNE of the previous duo, I picked up this little elongated piece of light immediate adjacent to a 9th mag field star. The star was problematic at times initially at 152x the galaxy was fairly dim to the eye. I was able with study to tease out an intermittent stellar core. Easier at 199x the adjacent field star still caused some problems. Taking a look at 283x the stellar core was very obvious. (New)

NGC 1282 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.4’x1.1’, SBr=13.4):
Then about 9’ southeast of the main pair, I found another pair of galaxies. Brighter than its field mate, this elliptical was still slightly dim. A small oval at 152x with a stellar core was seen. At 199x, it was more obvious to the eye. (New)

NGC 1283 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
Just 2’ north of the previous object I easily picked up this fairly small rounded glow at 152x. Dimmer than its partner, it was nonetheless an easy homogenous dust bunny. Then at 199x I picked up a stellar core pinned to the center of its small diffuse disk. (New)

NGC 1293 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=13.4):
Nearly 15.5’ east of NGCs 1282/1283, I spotted another galaxy duo. The northern of the pair was this small faint glow. At 152x it appeared round and evenly illuminated. Though dim, it was easily seen. It remained homogenous at 199x while 283x elicited a stellar core from its depths. (New)

NGC 1294 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.3’x1.1’, SBr=13.3):
Only 2’ SSE of the previous object and in the same FOV was this dim and small oval. As with its field mate it was easily seen at 152x as a smooth even disk as well as 199x. Only at 283x did a stellar core finally become apparent. (New)

NGC 1270 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.2’x1.1’, SBr=13.2):
Just WSW of NGC 1272 and in the view with it I spotted this readily apparent small homogeneous rounded dust bunny at 152x. It remained a smooth featureless disk at 199x as well. (New)

NGC 1268 (Perseus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=12.5):
In the same field with and west of the previous galaxy I noticed a north-south pair. The northern of the two was this spiral. At 152x it was dim and small, oval in shape and evenly illuminated. Its envelope remained homogeneous at 199x, and while clearly dimmer than NGC 1270, it was easy nonetheless. (New)

NGC 1267 (Perseus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=12.8):
Immediately south of the previous galaxy, and in the same field, I noticed this dim glow with an obvious stellar core that made the disk slightly difficult at 152x. The core overpowered the galaxy’s halo, making it challenging to see well even at 199x and 283x. (New)

NGC 1264 (Perseus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.0’x0.7’, SBr=13.6):
I used a small triangle of three 11th mag field stars about 12.5’ west of the previous galaxy to locate my next target. Just 5’ northeast of the stars I picked up this small and dim oval glow at 152x. A little difficult initially, at 199x it continued to display a dim ghostly appearance. Though small and still visually weak at 283x it was not difficult. (New)

NGC 1260 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.1’x0.5’, SBr=12.4):
Moving southwest of the triangle of stars I spotted a pair of galaxies using 152x. First was this lenticular, which presented a small and slightly dim (though obvious) homogeneous oval. It remained a smooth and even disk at 199x and 283x. (New)

NGC 1259 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.7’x0.7’, SBr=13.3):
In the same FOV just southwest of NGC 1260 I also picked up this very small and round dim glow at 152x with slight difficulty. Initially homogeneous in appearance, at 199x and 283x a stellar core was revealed within its disk. (New)

IC 310 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=12.8):
Nudging slightly more to the southwest I encountered this slightly bright rounded homogeneous glow at 152x. Viewing with 199x a stellar core was glimpsed intermittently in the center of the disk. (New)

MCG 7-7-44 (Perseus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.3’x0.2’, SBr=12.1):
Just over 3’ northwest of the triangle of 11th mag stars, adjacent to a 10th mag star, I located this spiral. At 152x the galaxy was difficult visually as a slender diffuse glow next to the star. At 199x and 283x it a little more obvious but remained a weak homogeneous finger of diffuse light bothered by the presence of the star. On the Uranometria chart I was using, A4 (Perseus Galaxy Cluster), this galaxy is misidentified as NGC 1257 (as it is in the RNGC). The general consensus is that NGC 1257 is nothing more than a dim pair of stars. (New)

NGC 1250 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=2.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.2):
Next up was this lenticular, located 16’ southwest of the previous object. Found using 152x it presented a small and subtly dim smooth oval disk. With 199x, a stellar core came into play. (New)

NGC 1224 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.3’x1.1’, SBr=13.3):
Moving to the western edge of the cluster field I easily swept up this small and subtly dim rounded glow at 152x. It remained a smoothly even disk at 199x, and was obvious within the field. (New)

IC 293 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.0, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=13.2):
About 14’ SSW of the last object I located this small and dim homogenous rounded glow with 152x. Viewed at 199x it remained dim and even, but was not difficult. (New)

IC 316 (Perseus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=1.2’x0.7’, SBr=13.9:
Moving back to the dominant pair of galaxies at the center I the cluster, I shifted northeast about 38’ to pull down this curious little object. Actually this is two spirals (PGCs 12576 & 12578) in the process of merging. However, the individual components were not resolved, only the collective light of the pair engaged in their tug of war. At 152x I noted a dim and small oval glow that was smoothly illuminated. Even at 199x and 283x it remained similar in appearance though slightly more obvious to the eye. (New)

At this point the field for the Perseus Cluster was gaining a lot of altitude and making scope movement more challenging. Also, because I now had to use a step stool (something I don’t particularly enjoy), I decided to break it off to pursue a few other things before bringing my evening to a close.

Messier 1 / NGC 1952 (Taurus, supernova remnant, mag=8.4, size=8.0’x4.0’, SBr=11.9):
Now with Taurus up a little more, I decided to stop by this object, also in this month’s TSS DSO Challenge. With the 13mm (152x) in the focuser, I aimed the scope at mag 2.9 Zeta Tauri; I used the very wide pair of stars to its north ( mag 6.4 and 7.0) as my pointers to the nebula. Eyeballing it in the RACI optical finder I placed M1 almost dead center in the field when I moved to the eyepiece. This SNR was large and very bright. I found Steve Gottlieb’s comment of it having a “potato shape” interesting by very accurate to the visual presentation. Its light distribution was very uneven. I noticed an uptick in brightness in the northwestern portion, and ragged edges around its periphery. Observing with 199x and 283x with an O-III filter, it became very uneven in visual texture. Some weak filamentary structure was seen, but in general the light distribution across its surface seemed hectic and highly variable.

After taking a break from galaxy hunting to enjoy Messier 1 for a few minutes, I returned to my favorite pastime. Before calling it an evening I decided to sweep up a few more galaxies before calling it an evening. For this I headed to Auriga and consulted the IDSA chart 24. Aiming the scope at mag 1.9 Beta Aurigae (Menkalinan) I star hopped eastward to a north-south flow of bright field stars along the Auriga-Lynx border to begin my home stretch run for the night.

NGC 2303 (Auriga, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.5’x1.5’, SBr=13.4):
Swept up at 152x, this little round dust bunny was subtly bright and easy to find. Its smoothly even disk was obvious in the star field. It remained homogeneous at 199x and very obvious within the view. (New)

UGC 3554 (Auriga, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.1’x0.6’, SBr=13.2):
Locating the field for this barred spiral, I caught only a suspicion of its presence at 152x. I was certain I was picking up a very small and very dim oval puff of light, but had to go to 199x to confirm this. Even at 283x it remained a weak visual target, diffuse and ghostly in appearance. (New)

NGC 2281 (Auriga, open cluster, mag=5.4, size=25.0’, class=I3p):
I happened to be just north of this object while observing the previous galaxy and noticed the cluster in the optical finder. Though I’d observed it previously I decided to stop by for a moment. At 152x I found it a pretty cluster to the eye. It presented as a large round coarse scatter of stars, the majority of which seemed to be of similar brightness. While very well detached from the general field, it was not compressed, and I didn’t notice any clumps or knots of stars within. Overall it presented various loops and strings of stars within its field.

UGC 3596 (Auriga, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=12.8):
Moving on now, I found this galaxy southeast of NGC 2281. Swept up with 152x it presented a small and round subtly bright rounded glow. A stellar core was noted in its center, which became very apparent at 199x. Overall it was an easy object, readily apparent in the field. (New)

NGC 2208 (Auriga, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.7’x1.0’, SBr=13.2):
I move back north now, to the northwest of Menkalinan for my final galaxy in Auriga for this outing. Easily located using 152x, I found it slightly bright, small and oval in shape. At 199x it remained homogeneous to the eye and obvious within the field. (New)

NGC 2333 (Gemini, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.0’x0.7’, SBr=12.7):
For some reason I turned to IDSA chart 36 looking to see if there were any brighter galaxies in southern Auriga. Instead I noticed this one just inside Gemini. So aiming the scope at Alpha Geminorum (Castor) I quickly moved to a checkmark pattern of 5th and 6th mag field stars to its northwest. From there it was only a quick nudge to the north and I located this small spiral. It was oval in shape and dim, though not difficult, presenting a smooth disk at 152x. Viewed at 199x it was obvious within the field, and now displayed a stellar core. (New)

It was now about 2300 hours and frankly I was tired after a long day, and starting to get chilled. The local temperature was about 39°, which for early December was not bad, but I don’t deal with the cold as well as I used to. So, it was time to pack it in, have a snack and get some rest. I plan to be out again tomorrow evening before heading home on Sunday. I hope to see you out there then! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 03 December 2021 - Pereus Galaxy Cluster + a few other things

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan and a big haul of galaxies in Perseus, Auriga, and Gemini. Very impressive and well worth the VROD award of the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 03 December 2021 - Pereus Galaxy Cluster + a few other things

Post by John Donne »

Yes indeed !
I enjoyed the outing Alan.
VROD 👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice haul of galaxies Alan! I have logged some off your list and will keep an eye for others when I go back to Perseus.

With cold nights and winter weather I have hanged my galaxy hat until spring and switched to LP-friendly targets. I may have an observing window tonight before clouds and fog come back.

I am curious when your look through a frac last time? :) I remember reading your travel reports with ED80, but what about AR127?

Congrats on the VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:16 pm Great report Alan and a big haul of galaxies in Perseus, Auriga, and Gemini. Very impressive and well worth the VROD award of the day!

Thank you Michael, very much appreciated my friend.

John Donne wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:24 pm Yes indeed !
I enjoyed the outing Alan.
VROD 👍

Thank you Mark, happy you had a good time!

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:02 pm Nice haul of galaxies Alan! I have logged some off your list and will keep an eye for others when I go back to Perseus.

With cold nights and winter weather I have hanged my galaxy hat until spring and switched to LP-friendly targets. I may have an observing window tonight before clouds and fog come back.

I am curious when your look through a frac last time? :) I remember reading your travel reports with ED80, but what about AR127?

Congrats on the VROD!

Thank you Andrey. Fully understand why you would suspend your dark sky galaxy activities during the winter since you have to camp out. We are fortunate in that we have a house there where we have all the necessities and creature comforts of home. If I get too cold I can simply go in and sit back in a recliner and warm up!

Actually I look through a refractor every time I observe - the RACI optical finder! :lol: But I know what you mean. I last used the ED80 in 2019. I am now fully retired and will not be making those trips any longer. I sent the ED80 to ES this fall for inspection, cleaning and collimation since it was subjected to 3+ years of world travel and varying environments. I have not tested it out yet. It indeed has been a long time since I used the AR127. I have considered taking both over to the dark site at some point to play around with. I also have a 6 inch newt OTA over there as well! :) Lots of ideas floating around in my head, but when I get there all I can think about doing is rolling the big scope out in order to hunt galaxies! Oh well, I suppose I will get around to it at some point. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Wow! A lot accomplished in 3 hours. Thanks for the great report and congratulations.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Michael131313 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:18 am Wow! A lot accomplished in 3 hours. Thanks for the great report and congratulations.

Thank you Michael. Glad you enjoyed following along on my journey. :)
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Alan. Another great observing report from you. You really scooped out a lot of nice DSO targets in Perseus, and also Taurus and Auriga. Thanks for another great report with lots of descriptive information Alan and congratulations on receiving yet another TSS VROD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 pm Hello Alan. Another great observing report from you. You really scooped out a lot of nice DSO targets in Perseus, and also Taurus and Auriga. Thanks for another great report with lots of descriptive information Alan and congratulations on receiving yet another TSS VROD Award.

Thank you very much Marshall. It was indeed a fun evening - though chilly. :)
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Very nice report. Thanks!
Interesting story about NGC1257. SkySafari gives the right positions of doublestars NGC1257 and galaxy UGC2621. A popular online map like Wikisky gives the wrong ones.
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:01 pm Very nice report. Thanks!
Interesting story about NGC1257. SkySafari gives the right positions of doublestars NGC1257 and galaxy UGC2621. A popular online map like Wikisky gives the wrong ones.
Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John.

Just another example of errors within the NGC/IC. The object was discovered by Guillaume Bigourdan in 1884. But there was nothing at the position he cited. But after correcting the position of his offset star, the position reduced to that of the stars. He likely saw the tight pair as diffuse and that is how it got into the books. So NGC 1257 is non-existent as a DSO. The galaxy UGC 2621 or MCG 7-7-44 or PGC 12157 (whichever designation one wishes to use) lies 38 seconds of RA preceding Bigourdan's position and does not match his visual description. Nonetheless, because it is close, some catalogues (RNGC, PGC and RC 3) misidentify that galaxy as NGC 1257. As you found out, Sky Safari gets it correct. As does my Sky Tools 3 and 4. My Uranometria follows the RNGC in getting it wrong however. In the DSS image below, one can easily see the positional relationship between the pair of stars and UGC 2621 (labeled PGC 12157).

ngc1257wide.jpg
Alan

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Very interesting report!
I'm glad I saved reading it for later. I would have been late from work.
And congrats on the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:39 pm Very interesting report!
I'm glad I saved reading it for later. I would have been late from work.
And congrats on the VROD!

Thank you Juha. I am noting if not verbose! :) But glad you were able to get through it all.
Alan

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I mentioned before, but you are pretty quick. That many targets in that short time, and good descriptions- you have been really observed them.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:26 pm I mentioned before, but you are pretty quick. That many targets in that short time, and good descriptions- you have been really observed them.

Thank you Juha. I always have a goal when I go out of observing at least 20 new objects in a session. I have failed at that on particularly poor nights, but for the most part I meet or exceed that. My typical sessions range from about two hours to four hours max as a rule. I simply cannot go as long as I used to when younger. But though I have slowed down some, and my optical acuity is not quite up to the level it was many years ago, I don't think I do too badly. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

The attached chart of the Perseus Galaxy Cluster (Abell 426) will add some context to my observing notes for most of the galaxies I observed within the cluster. The chart is courtesy of Phil Harrington.
chart.pdf
(269.62 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Alan