First observing session in over a month

Let's see your reports!
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

First observing session in over a month

Post by terrynak »

First time observing in over a month – got out the Bresser 6” F/8 Newt to take a look at the three naked-eye planets:

Air was moderately humid; the folding table surface was completely wet within an hour.

After an hour of acclimation, was able to get good views of Jupiter and Saturn using 190x (6.3mm Orion Sirius Plossl) and 200x (Agena Wide Angle 6mm), despite the first quarter moon being close (especially to Jupiter). The GRS was very prominent on Jupiter (just visible even at 37.5x) and the Cassini Division was sharp on Saturn. Besides Titan, Rhea and possibly Dione was visible.

After taking an hour-long break (and bringing the OTA back inside), went back outside for the highlight of the evening – Mars – now higher up in the sky. Using 133x, the disk was surprisingly large, with the Southern ice cap small but very bright. Took another break for about 20 minutes to let the OTA acclimate some more. Back outside using 190x and 200x, easily able to see a flattened “X” shape (Syrtis Major?) just below the cap, and a dark spot below the “X” and another spot to the right of it. Probably the best view of Mars I ever had through any of my scopes – never seen the planet looking this large and sharp before.

Looking forward to opposition next month, for an even better view of Mars…
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: First observing session in over a month

Post by Juno16 »

Nice report Terry!

I haven't seen a clear sky in a month either, due to other natural weather phenomena!

Sounds like a superb view of Mars that you got! I have only viewed Mars once and the only way that I could reduce the brightness enough to see and surface details was to use a cheap moon filter along with a cheap skyglow filter. Even though it was crude, it worked (somewhat) enough to see the darker areas of the planet surface. Of course, the ice cap was super bright white. I was thrilled!

Thanks for the nice 5 a.m. read Terry!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Good you got some quality time in!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 am Nice report Terry!

I haven't seen a clear sky in a month either, due to other natural weather phenomena!

Sounds like a superb view of Mars that you got! I have only viewed Mars once and the only way that I could reduce the brightness enough to see and surface details was to use a cheap moon filter along with a cheap skyglow filter. Even though it was crude, it worked (somewhat) enough to see the darker areas of the planet surface. Of course, the ice cap was super bright white. I was thrilled!

Thanks for the nice 5 a.m. read Terry!

Thanks Jim, it was good to get back out again. Not necessarily due to the weather, but just to take a break from observing.

It was great to see Mars this big and clear. Will try to up the magnification with a Barlow next time.

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:11 am Good you got some quality time in!

Thanks nFA!
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice that you were able to get out once again Terry. Observing opportunities certainly have been few and far between.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Terry. A very nice report from you here. I have had rain everyday for weeks now, and can't even get the smaller refractor telescopes out. Thanks for your fun read report Terry, and I hope that the skies settle down for all of us soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for the report. A good night out is the medicine for a lot of ailments.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

terrynak wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am (..........) Probably the best view of Mars I ever had through any of my scopes – never seen the planet looking this large and sharp before.

I totally agree. One way or the other Mars showed me last months more details than have seen in many years. Many co-observers in my environment agree on that too. Maybe the dust-level in our atmosphere is not back yet at pre-lockdown levels?
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice Terry, glad to see you getting back out again. It does do a person good to get out under the night sky. Since getting home from my last business trip in mid-March, I've had 22 observing sessions at our dark site house, though I've not filed reports for most of them. Hope you get another chance real soon. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

helicon wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:00 pm Nice that you were able to get out once again Terry. Observing opportunities certainly have been few and far between.

Thanks Michael. Besides the weather, other things have kept me indoors at night lately, including other hobbies (e.g. stamps) and house cleaning activities. Apparently the collectibles market has shown an up trend since more people are spending time at home and rediscovering their hobbies.

Makuser wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:39 pm Hi Terry. A very nice report from you here. I have had rain everyday for weeks now, and can't even get the smaller refractor telescopes out. Thanks for your fun read report Terry, and I hope that the skies settle down for all of us soon.

Thanks Marshall. Sorry to hear about the weather - no rain here for months. Although the humidity got heavy last night.

jrkirkham wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:47 pm Thanks for the report. A good night out is the medicine for a lot of ailments.

You're welcome Rob. Yup, it was great to see the planets and their surface features with clarity last night.

John Baars wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:00 pm
terrynak wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am (..........) Probably the best view of Mars I ever had through any of my scopes – never seen the planet looking this large and sharp before.

I totally agree. One way or the other Mars showed me last months more details than have seen in many years. Many co-observers in my environment agree on that too. Maybe the dust-level in our atmosphere is not back yet at pre-lockdown levels?

Yup, also with with Mars riding high above the horizon (unlike Saturn and Jupiter), we're getting some really crisp views of the planet.

The 6" and 5" F/8 Newtonians are very good planetary scopes...

kt4hx wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:21 pm Very nice Terry, glad to see you getting back out again. It does do a person good to get out under the night sky. Since getting home from my last business trip in mid-March, I've had 22 observing sessions at our dark site house, though I've not filed reports for most of them. Hope you get another chance real soon. :)

Thanks Alan, it was good to get back out again after being indoors at night for over a month!

Eventually I'll get back into the faint open clusters and asterisms that I was heavily focused on before I took a break. In the meantime, I'm very fascinated by the views of the planets, especially through the 6-incher.
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Hi Terry,
Enjoyed the report and like the looks of your scope. Is that a CG4 mount?
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

MistrBadgr wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:58 am Hi Terry,
Enjoyed the report and like the looks of your scope. Is that a CG4 mount?
Thanks Bill!

Yup, its a Celestron Omni CG4 mount. At first I was worried that the OTA would be overmatched for this mount, but I was wrong - it handles this 150/1200mm Newtonian with ease. Practically shake free.
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Nice report Terry.
Have been missing your adventures.
So happy that you can get out again.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Peter802 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:24 am Nice report Terry.
Have been missing your adventures.
So happy that you can get out again.

Thanks for your kind words Peter!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Glad to see you back in action Terry! It has been over 2 months since my last session. Mainly because of the smoke in the air, but other things to. I hope to get back to Anza for the new moon on October.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23 pm Glad to see you back in action Terry! It has been over 2 months since my last session. Mainly because of the smoke in the air, but other things to. I hope to get back to Anza for the new moon on October.

Thanks Andrey! The weather has been pretty clear for the most part (at least in my part of So Cal).

The planets (esp. Mars) have been the main reason for me getting back into observing the past week.