PMC-Eight GoTo or Gemini?

If we see enough activity with a given brand we will create a new subforum.
SonnyE
Interdicted
Articles: 0

Re: PMC-Eight GoTo or Gemini?

Post by SonnyE »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:02 pm SonnyE

It was not my intention to be a smartass. I thought your 26 zeros was a typo since 16 is the correct figure.

It would be good if you were to tone down the argumentative style of your responses as posted in this topic. We don't behave like that on TSS and we don't tolerate it when new members do.

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know I was able to measure the Tramlink East Croydon substation traction current in the DC track return cables last night. There was a variance which indicates a high resistance joint in one of them.

Regards

Graeme
We use IR thermal scans to monitor connections in our stations. Hot or degrading connections were easily found that way.
Perhaps you do too?
We had teams that performed the scans, then generated reports for work orders. Then we'd clean and remake the weak ones as needed.
All a part of preventative maintenance, because we were a Utility supplying customers. The Public can be a finicky lot.

I did not take you as being a Smartass. Merely repeating what a college Professor stated to us.
At the time mid (1970's) electrons were still all theory, and later became observed.
My point to him was we used real life tools to measure current.

Sorry to upset you. I'll just go away. :idea:
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Don if it helps I will be a guinea pig for the EQStars kit. After reading some reviews on CN I ordered it. Apparently, if you get the computer setup right, it should work fine.

It will really help if I have a system ready to go with accurate goto. Just using setting circles is certainly admirable but also not super accurate, and having to look for your target by taking pictures is such a PITA that it will tip the scale soon enough. Not going there.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
BamaDon United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by BamaDon »

:telescopewink:
SkyHiker wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:12 am Don if it helps I will be a guinea pig for the EQStars kit. After reading some reviews on CN I ordered it. Apparently, if you get the computer setup right, it should work fine.

It will really help if I have a system ready to go with accurate goto. Just using setting circles is certainly admirable but also not super accurate, and having to look for your target by taking pictures is such a PITA that it will tip the scale soon enough. Not going there.
Great! Keep us all informed!

I'm sure the Gemini is better - but is it worth the additional $1200? I have a PC I can use, if I can add GOTO for that price it may be worth it. It appears to be a well done product with good fit and finish.

In any case, I'm still using DSCs and having fun not star-hopping. I worked both the Messier and Caldwell lists by star-hopping a dob. Now I can work on Planetary Nebulae program from my backyard. I'm having good luck with it...
Don
Scopes: Criterion RV-6; 8" f/8 homebuilt; 10" Cave OTA; 12.5" Dobsonian; Celestron C11 Mounts: Losmandy G11 Eyepieces: ES 82° 24, 18, 14, 11, 8.8, 6.7, 4.7; Meade RG: Erfle 20; Ortho 16.8, 10.5, 7 Binoculars: Orion Ultraview 10x50; Filters: DGM NPB, O-III; Orion SkyGlow; DSLR: Canon t6i