SkyHiker wrote: ↑Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:28 pm
I have a G11S. The construction is mind-blowing, the tripod is as solid as a pier. I too picked it up in Burbank. But it's not all perfect.
- When doing polar alignment, tightening the 4 screws (in the wrong sequence) can throw off the just-obtained PA.
- The worms need adjustment much more frequently than I like.
- The saddle is not fool proof. I once had my Mak-Newt flying through the air (but I caught it) because the dual-saddle clamps are trickier to use than the single-saddle clamps on my AVX - you have to bridge the gap, the notch is easy to miss.
- The counterweight is too much for one OTA so I am using two (of course I could have bought the 11 lbs one).
I recommend signing up for the Losmandy user board, lots of useful information and helpful people there.
1. What 4 screws do you mean?
I could see where making tightening could change the mounts mechanical orientations, and affect the PA set up of any mount.
2. Sorry, mine is too new to make me question my worms. I mean, what if they answered?
Ask at email@example.com
I bet you'll get great help to qualm your fears. It's NEW and really great!
3. I only have >one< telescope. So I never miss. I don't let go until I know mine is solid. But good catch!
4. My telescope complete weighs 15.7 Pounds. The whole enchilada from the bar up. And the OEM 11 pound counter weight does me excellent. Much better than my old mount, for which I made my own smaller weights because the OEM hit the Elv adjustment.
A really bad design flaw on their part.
( had to go do a weigh-in to check. I put a DUP 14 under mine to give it a better bar. Not that my bar was bad by any means. I just wanted a beefy Losmandy carrying my pea shooter. http://store.losmandy.com/dup
5. Been there (Losmandy Users groups) since I began thinking of a Losmandy and swearing off the Off-Shore mounts. Took me 4 months before I replaced my dead mount. And I asked a lot of questions. Great bunch! Also the Gemini Users Group. But they tend to be a little thick
for my tastes. Always seem to argue about modeling. There are just too many places in the Universe I'd rather be.
Seems like Losmandy Owners are not heard from much. There are tons and tons of posts from other folks, about other
mounts. Oft times about problems.
I did great things with my old mount. But it was because I have a tenacity to stick to it and make things work. My problem was in the Dew-dew electronics, and the business model of change boards, don't fix problems with garbage electronic parts. I've studied the electronic failures of Asian Mounts for ~4-5 years now.
And it is why I chose a Losmandy.
I felt I could not afford to roll the dice on another Asian mount. Bottom line.
But I did not see Losmandy listed in Mounts here, not even in Other Mounts. So thought I ask.