Smallest EQ Mount With Setting Circles That Work

If we see enough activity with a given brand we will create a new subforum.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Smallest EQ Mount With Setting Circles That Work

Post by Refractordude »

ARock wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:01 pm I use the EQ Nano with a 80 mm F/5 and it is stable enough to do basic AP. I have never used the setting circles, but it does have them. The only concern would be the length of your F/13 scope. ES does sell this with a 80mm F/11.5 scope but I think this will be prone to vibrations. Also, the Counter Weight that comes with the mount might not be enough for your scope.

You can fit a cheap Celestron R/A Single Axis Motor Drive on it with some bracket adaptation with a hand drill (see the drive thread below).

Or you could build a RA drive with a Stepper motor and Arduino for it.

Here is a link discussing the mount on CN
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6087 ... eq-thread/

and another one discussing RA drives on it.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5702 ... his-mount/

Here it is in action as we speak for the transit of mercury...
Merci Beaucoup Thank you very much.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:40 pm Want something way smaller than my Orion Skyview Pro for darksite trips. I will be using my Vixen 70mm f/13. Would like to be able track with the mount.
Actually I added the Celestron motor to mine as well. With a bit of DIY tricks it's easy to add. What I found difficult is to get it to track at the right speed. Maybe I have to work a bit harder, once something works I get bored with it quickly.

I have a supermarket Venture scope that had a fitting counterweight, I added it to balance the 80 mm. So yes with pretty much any scope you need more counterweight than what it comes with.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:30 pm Actually I added the Celestron motor to mine as well. With a bit of DIY tricks it's easy to add. What I found difficult is to get it to track at the right speed. Maybe I have to work a bit harder, once something works I get bored with it quickly.
Yeah, I had to tweak the tiny potentiometer on the Celestron Motor drive frequently as well. While this is not a big problem for visual, it is a mess if you want do short exposure AP.
A simple stepper/arduino drive solves that problem with the sidereal rate fixed in code. But mine takes a 12V input making it less portable than the Celestron drive with its included 9V battery.

I bought a set of Dob counterweights from ES which fits the shaft of the Exos Nano EQ
https://explorescientificusa.com/produc ... weight-set
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

So they advertise it as having a 15 pound load capy. Realistically, what do y'all think, 10 pounds maybe? MY ST120 is about 11 when loaded.

For $100 though, it might be a good experiment with my ST80.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

I would not buy it for a ST120. Not only due to the weight, but also the moment arm due to the length of the OTA.
You could get it for the ST80 though and then experiment with the ST120 with unextended legs, stone bag tricks etc to see if you can tolerate the shakiness. On the CN thread people complain about shakiness during focusing for anything larger than a ST80.
If you can live with the shakiness, it is a very portable setup, compared to the next step up, which are the LX70, CG-4 kind of mounts.

It might also be interesting to see if you could put the mount on your TW1 tripod to see if it helps.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.