Binoculars on TW I or Porta II

If we see enough activity with a given brand we will create a new subforum.
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Binoculars on TW I or Porta II

Post by KingNothing13 »

Does anyone here know, or has anyone here attached binoculars to either a Twilight I or Vixen Porta II mount?

I am in the early stages of looking at a good grab-n-go set, and am thinking that one of those two would be the mount. It would be great if it could do double duty with whatever scope I land on and my 15x70's.

Thanks!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Binoculars on TW I or Porta II

Post by Refractordude »

I own the Orion Paragon-Plus mount. I could set it up in about less then two minutes. There is a way of attaching a telescope to the mount. I found an image on the WWW.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-P ... p/5376.uts

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-P ... p/5379.uts

Attachments
telescope.PNG
Last edited by Refractordude on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've used 10x50s on my TW 1 with an L-bracket from FLO. Haven't tried my 15x70s - I use the bracket for my 90mm Mak now.

I found it more cumbersome than using a photo head, which is too bad since I have push-to encoders on the TW1. Maybe I should give it another shot with the 15x70s.
skywatcher_dovetail_L-bracket_20995.jpg
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:49 pm I've used 10x50s on my TW 1 with an L-bracket from FLO. Haven't tried my 15x70s - I use the bracket for my 90mm Mak now.

I found it more cumbersome than using a photo head, which is too bad since I have push-to encoders on the TW1. Maybe I should give it another shot with the 15x70s.

I know a L-Bracket would work with 90 degree binoculars and a telescope with diagonal. Did you have a problem with regular binoculars observing at close to zenith? I am thinking the Twilight and Porta are not high enough with regular 15x70 binoculars.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

From my experience binoculars and scopes have different height requirements. Scopes utilize diagonals, so you need to look from top down. Since binoculars don't have diagonal you need to set them higher, in particular if you trying to look at the targets high above horizon. You also need ability to easily adjust mount height during the session.

If you like to use the same mount/tripod for both scopes and binoculars, I would get a heavy duty photo tripod with fluid head and an adaptor to mount scope. Photo tripods come with central column, so it is easy to adjust the height. Some small scopes are configured straight from the box for photo heads.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Refractordude wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm I know a L-Bracket would work with 90 degree binoculars and a telescope with diagonal. Did you have a problem with regular binoculars observing at close to zenith? I am thinking the Twilight and Porta are not high enough with regular 15x70 binoculars.
My Manfrotto 475B tripod cranks up to 6 feet high, so height isn't a problem. I don't use the stock TW 1 tripod. The problem is the binos are mounted too close to the side of the mount / tripod. The horizontal bar of the L-bracket needs to be longer so I don't have to lean into / over the tripod. And a quick estimate looks like my 15x70s are too wide for the L-bracket.

Like Bigz wrote, my 80mm frac and 90mm Mak screw straight onto the fluid head plate.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:49 pm

This is basically why I was *thinking* about it. I could get encoders, and use my existing Nexus II. Mostly because I am lazy :lol:
-- Brett

List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:22 pm From my experience binoculars and scopes have different height requirements. Scopes utilize diagonals, so you need to look from top down. Since binoculars don't have diagonal you need to set them higher, in particular if you trying to look at the targets high above horizon. You also need ability to easily adjust mount height during the session.

If you like to use the same mount/tripod for both scopes and binoculars, I would get a heavy duty photo tripod with fluid head and an adaptor to mount scope. Photo tripods come with central column, so it is easy to adjust the height. Some small scopes are configured straight from the box for photo heads.
I had the thought too of the bino's being put into awkward positions. I have a couple of "crappy" photo tri-pods right now - one that I bought with the 15x70- not the best in the world, too sticky for motions, and is really difficult to move.

And a cheaper smaller one that came with the Orion Travel scope - it cannot handle the binoculars at all, but the travel scope is great on the OTHER tripod.

Ultimately, it probably isn't going to happen, as I do not want to invest even a small amount of $$ and have it not work.

Just trying to feel out if anyone has done it.
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I prefer my photo tripod over my Porta for binoculars.
The Porta just seems clumsy and lacks hight imo.

I have the Paragon XHD, and can fit one leg of it between my legs and it is very comfortable :)

Edit: I put each leg of the tripod on either side of my thighs.
Last edited by Ylem on Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Learning from my own mistakes, I think the conventional wisdom is pretty accurate re: this stuff.

If you're buying a photo tripod, get one that has a geared / crank center column that elevates to a good height. I have a Benro TAD with a twist-lock column and it's ok if I need ultra light and portable, but it gets to be a hassle after awhile if I'm changing the height of binos or small scope frequently.

Get a fluid head if you're getting a photo head. The fluid head makes panning / moving in az a lot smoother. My cheaper, non-fluid head jerks when I rotate it, which is a major pain at higher powers. My fluid head isn't 100% smooth, but it's a huge improvement over the non-fluid.

For viewing at the zenith with binos, if I don't lie down, I just tilt my tripod back toward me while standing. I do think one of the bino-arm things would work better and be more comfortable, but at this point I don't want to deal with counterweights, etc.

If you're buying a regular scope mount, get the heaviest, most robust one that fits your parameters. Overloaded mounts are nobody's friend.

YMMV.