My New SkyTee II Mount Has Arrived

If we see enough activity with a given brand we will create a new subforum.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

My New SkyTee II Mount Has Arrived

Post by Refractordude »

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-az ... mount.html

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-C ... 118189.uts

Along with the SkyTee I purchased an Orion ST80 refractor for mounting on top as a finder. I upgraded the clamp for the 6" refractor, and purchased two motion control cables.The mount handles my 150mm f/8 refractor with ease. However, I have two problems I need help with. How do I align the third side scope with the other side scope horizontally? There is a small package with a long screw and a small metal stud. What is the screw and stud used for? These are the only two problems I have. I am thinking about returning the ST80 back to Orion. The Meade Infinity 80mm is better built and can be upgraded with a two inch focuser. I have some really nice pictures of my scopes mounted on the SkyTee, but they did not arrive at my gmail acct. Thanks all
Attachments
mount right side uneven.PNG
mount screw and stud.PNG
mount clamp upgrade.PNG
mount motion control cables upgrade.PNG
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: My New SkyTee II Mount Has Arrived

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats RD! This is a good mount. The thumb screw and stud are for the counterweight.

The round white plate to which you attach the clamp for the 3d scope has 3 small holes spaced equally on the side. Each hole has a hex screw inside. To align the clamp for the 3d scope you need to unscrew those screws, rotate the white plate and secure the screws back.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:31 am Congrats RD! This is a good mount. The thumb screw and stud are for the counterweight.

The round white plate to which you attach the clamp for the 3d scope has 3 small holes spaced equally on the side. Each hole has a hex screw inside. To align the clamp for the 3d scope you need to unscrew those screws, rotate the white plate and secure the screws back.
Thanks for your help. How are the long screw and stud used for the weight?
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Refractordude wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:37 am
Bigzmey wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:31 am Congrats RD! This is a good mount. The thumb screw and stud are for the counterweight.

OK I got it with the long screw. There must be a hole in the weight for the screw to firm the weight to the bar. However, I do not recall seeing a hole in the weight. FirstLight may have sent me the wrong weight. What about the little stud? Thanks

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Refractordude wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:47 am
Refractordude wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:37 am

OK I got it with the long screw. There must be a hole in the weight for the screw to firm the weight to the bar. However, I do not recall seeing a hole in the weight. FirstLight may have sent me the wrong weight. What about the little stud? Thanks
The stud goes first in the hole and the long screw goes on top.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Looking forward to reading about your experiences with the ST-2. Considering the ST-2 is half the price of the Vixen APZ that I've been lusting after, I'm curious how it performs. What tripod are you putting it on?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:52 pm Looking forward to reading about your experiences with the ST-2. Considering the ST-2 is half the price of the Vixen APZ that I've been lusting after, I'm curious how it performs. What tripod are you putting it on?
I am using the tripod and extension tube that attaches to the Orion Skyview Pro GEM. You can attach three scopes to the SkyTee II. Forum member Bigzmey has used this mount for a while.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-S ... p/9829.uts

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-S ... view%20pro
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

To be honest I am just not good at these things. The weight does have a hole for the stud and long screw. I rotated the white plate. Both scopes are even now. Thanks for your help. I am good to go and very happy with my new mount.
Attachments
image 1.PNG
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

A great mount. Left click the image. Video of my new mount with three scopes viewtopic.php?f=65&t=16441&start=40
Attachments
image 1.PNG

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Looking good!

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

I lowered the tripod legs. I can now take better advantage of the highest mounted finder scope with attached diagonal. I can no longer go to zenith but close to it. I added a new clamp for the 120mm scope. The mount is super smooth horizontally with just a light tap. So no need for the horizontal motion control cable. The mount is snow white, but just a cloth wipe with rubbing alcohol does a good cleaning job. Left click the images.
Attachments
image 3 mount shorter.PNG
image 1 stock clamp.PNG
image 2 new clamp.PNG

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

If you use it with 3 scopes, you will have better balance with counterweight.

app.php/gallery/image/91/source

Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Now that is quite a set up. But you will need to grow a third eye for it to be effective. 🙃 Thanks for sharing. I have never seen that before.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Refractordude wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:33 pm I can no longer go to zenith but close to it.
I typically don't spend much time observing at or even that near to zenith. And if an object is at zenith, it will move off in relatively short order.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Having three scopes on one mount is a lot of fun. However, the third scope makes getting to and observing with my ST80 a little difficult. I also decided to use the 120mm f/8 as a super quick setup with the Versago II mount. I used a weight from the Skyview Pro and the weight that came with the SkyTee II. Still nice and smooth horizontal motion. Left click the images.
Attachments
change of plans 2.PNG
change of plans 1.PNG

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:36 pm Having three scopes on one mount is a lot of fun. However, the third scope makes getting to and observing with my ST80 a little difficult. I also decided to use the 120mm f/8 as a super quick setup with the Versago II mount. I used a weight from the Skyview Pro and the weight that came with the SkyTee II. Still nice and smooth horizontal motion. Left click the images.
Yes, I see how you may run in to access issues having two long and one short scopes. In this case pairing your 6" F8 with ST80 should work nicely.

Also, I am not sure what 120mm F8 can do which 150mm F8 can't. I had similar situation with 120mm F5 and 150mm F5 and eventually sold 120mm for the lack of use. The money went towards 80mm ED which I use quite often. :D