Who's using manual RA and Dec circles?

If we see enough activity with a given brand we will create a new subforum.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Who's using manual RA and Dec circles?

Post by pakarinen »

Curious how many folks here use manual RA and Dec circles.

I love alt-az push-to with Sky Safari on my phone, but sometimes I think I should chuck it all and go old school which was the way I learned things long ago...
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Who's using manual RA and Dec circles?

Post by Shabadoo »

I often do. When the GOTO gives me fits, I move to setting circles. I found a good list of guide stars, and as long as I plan for the night, and am quick, it works well.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If using my TAL mount I like to use the setting circles as they are large enough to read easily.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
konza
Earth Ambassador

Post by konza »

I recently got a Sky View Pro (non goto) with ra/dec circles for the simplicity of it. Yes, I have a goto but honestly most of the time I grab the Twilight1. No wires, batteries, or handbox. But honestly, my star hopping is atrocious! Although the SVP's circles are but 86mm diameter they are usable after a slight modification~~~ T-pins with the tips painted black and affixed so they actually overlap the circles a bit. They stand out over the scales and have much finer definition than the cast in arrows.
Mickey K.
Scopes: ES102 apo carbonfiber, Orion 127 mac/cas
Binos: B&L Legacy 10x50, Canon 15x50 image stabilized
Mounts: ES Twilight 1 & Exos2 goto, Orion Sky View Pro (non-goto) Targus monopod w/Manfrotto ball head
Eyepieces: Orion plossl 10 & 25, ES 24 & 16 68º, Baader Morpheus 12.5, ES 8.8 & 4.7 82º and SWM 20 70º w/ crosshairs.
Filters Orion 13 & 25% moon filter, and a sky glow
Diagonal: ES dieletric, Baader T2 BBHS mirror
"Keep Looking Up" ~Jack Horkheimer~
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Like you, I am not very good at star hopping so I made alt-az circles for my Z8 Dobson and they work fine but soon afterward I discovered digital inclinometers (http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/) and they are much quicker and easier to use for alt. For azimuth the circle works OK but I often have to bend over to read it down by the base.

Most recently I adapted my Celestron StarSense Explorer plate solving phone app to my Z8 and the circles are obsolete. It's just much quicker and convenient.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Not so much on my GEMs, especially since they are goto. Their setting circles are close to useless.

But my wedged-fork-mounted grab-and-go C-90 has wonderful setting circles. Because the RA motor drives the RA setting circle along with the scope, I only have to set the circle once per session. It has a sidereal time index on the motor housing. I set sidereal time at the beginning of the session, and the RA circle is good for the rest of the night. I can easily read it to the nearest minute. The dec circle is good to the nearest 1/4 degree.

For setting sidereal time, I have an old travel alarm clock that never kept good time. It ran 4 minutes fast per day. Hello? Sidereal time!! I can set the clock to sidereal time at home and then use it to set the mount's setting circle in the field. :D
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Wow - you are taking me back to my early days. I used the setting circles on my manual GEM that I mounted my department store refractor on back in the 60's. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. These days it is all AP all the time with platesolving and goto aiming.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I put manual setting circles on my Dob, both Alt and Az. They work great. Calibration is done on a single star after leveling the base. One gotcha is that it relies on the optical axis coinciding with the OTA axis, otherwise you need a 2 star calibration which you can't do with a Dob. And that depends on whether the secondary has an offset or not. Anyway it works well enough.

I used my non-goto Losmandy G11S with its setting circles ghat are very good BTW. Here too though, if a refractor has a cone error, a one star calibration won't get you exactly to the target. Half the time it worked, the rest of the time I kept searching with my camera. I now added a goto kit and use EQMOD or Ekos for goto alignment. With AP there are so many problems already, not worth spending much time on alignment.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

I used to do that on my old orange fork-mounted C8. It worked!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.