Would you ?

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Would you ?

Post by Altocumulus »

I have a WO 102GT that I, currently, use for Solar WL imaging.

Would you advise on whether it would be sensible/ideal/crazy, to use that as a base 'scope and place a bar between the mounting rings (about 177mm apart), add a suitable clamp and piggy-mount a Lunt LS 60 for use in Summer, replacing that Lunt with a Skymax 180 for Winter?

If so, any ideas on makes of bar etc - I keep looking for a sensibly priced bar/clamp combo.

Alternatively, just leave it at the one 'scope at a time......

Mount is a SW NEQ6-R pro, so should be ok with the weight of two 'scopes in a permanent fixed site.
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Would you ?

Post by OhNo »

I say Why Not!!! However, I'd keep in mind the set up and take down that you'll be incorporating. The "hobby killer" for a lot of people is the never ending monotony of "getting ready" to do AP. The other issue, and you touched on it, is the weight of the new combination. While the mount will handle the extra burden, we as people are always getting older, and may eventually not be able to handle the weight of moving the thing at set-up/take down.

My point may be moot if you don't have to do anything too extraneous to do the AP you want to do. For me to make a logical, helpful analysis I'd need a wee bit more info on what you are using now. Are you using a pier or tripod, you mention a "permanent fixed site", please explain. Do you have to strip part of your rig down every time you use it to prevent the climate for wrecking something? Scotland does have a rep for it's climate....

While I mostly do DSO AP I do when the opportunity arises do a bit of WL Solar imaging. A used C8 I bought came with some goodies that make that possible. My current set-up allows me to put everything I need together in less than 10 minutes, and if I have to hustle to break it down (ie. freak thunderstorm) it can happen in about 4 minutes. However, I have the AP bug bad!!! I have chased opportunities through "sucker holes" in the clouds day or night! :o

In the end if you know your mount will handle the extra burden, and it makes you happy adding another scope to the WO do it. I too have done this, and it was on the cheap, I have built my own brackets for a few different things. But most into Astronomy don't have the pack-rat syndrome I have or the shop to make it all happen.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Yes I agree! Why not give it a try. I don’t do AP but I mounted an ST80A on top of my 10” LX200. I use it as a wide field scope for star hopping and just enjoying a different view.
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

:lol: I think I see where this is going, it may be a justification for another camera!!!! :o The paradox is that when the two scopes are on the mount, while viewing the sunspot both scopes could or will be used. However while catching Proms the WL scope is useless. But what better way to plug a scope than with a camera!!!! :mrgreen:

Wish I had a Lunt or Quark. :oops:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

OhNo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 pm :lol: I think I see where this is going, it may be a justification for another camera!!!! :o The paradox is that when the two scopes are on the mount, while viewing the sunspot both scopes could or will be used. However while catching Proms the WL scope is useless. But what better way to plug a scope than with a camera!!!! :mrgreen:

Camera?? I have never seen anyone spell okular that way before.... :D
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

OhNo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:04 pm I say Why Not!!! However, I'd keep in mind the set up and take down that you'll be incorporating. The "hobby killer" for a lot of people is the never ending monotony of "getting ready" to do AP. The other issue, and you touched on it, is the weight of the new combination. While the mount will handle the extra burden, we as people are always getting older, and may eventually not be able to handle the weight of moving the thing at set-up/take down.

My point may be moot if you don't have to do anything too extraneous to do the AP you want to do. For me to make a logical, helpful analysis I'd need a wee bit more info on what you are using now. Are you using a pier or tripod, you mention a "permanent fixed site", please explain. Do you have to strip part of your rig down every time you use it to prevent the climate for wrecking something? Scotland does have a rep for it's climate....

While I mostly do DSO AP I do when the opportunity arises do a bit of WL Solar imaging. A used C8 I bought came with some goodies that make that possible. My current set-up allows me to put everything I need together in less than 10 minutes, and if I have to hustle to break it down (ie. freak thunderstorm) it can happen in about 4 minutes. However, I have the AP bug bad!!! I have chased opportunities through "sucker holes" in the clouds day or night! :o

In the end if you know your mount will handle the extra burden, and it makes you happy adding another scope to the WO do it. I too have done this, and it was on the cheap, I have built my own brackets for a few different things. But most into Astronomy don't have the pack-rat syndrome I have or the shop to make it all happen.
Sorry I didn't realise anyone had responded! My notifications must have missed this one out!!!!

Why? Comparison of WL and Ha at the same time, even if the set up requires a smidgeon of slew depending on the camera.
In Winter, waiting for the Skymax to 'settle down, the 102 will be ready from the off!

Yes, I'm showing signs of age, but each 'scope will be moved individually; but it's a very valid point.

I've got a tripod as fixed as I can make it, sheltered inside a roll-on roll-off wooden box. 'scopes and cameras normally removed after each use. Cables, both power and USB signal in place to a 'warm' room!

Problem I'm coming up against is sourcing a reasonable bracket upon which to sit something like a WO saddle plate. WO do two very nice saddle handle bars, but one's way too short - the other way too long!

Oi! What you mean, it's always loverly and warm in Scotland ..... . . .... ..... .... . . ..... except when it's raining.
Just call me Geoff....

Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

OhNo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 pm :lol: I think I see where this is going, it may be a justification for another camera!!!! :o The paradox is that when the two scopes are on the mount, while viewing the sunspot both scopes could or will be used. However while catching Proms the WL scope is useless. But what better way to plug a scope than with a camera!!!! :mrgreen:

Now, really!

:joking:

Why not! I have a NexImage5, 120MM and 174MM - at a pinch I could attach my Fuji XE1(Infra-red)/XE2. But there's always a case that can be made for a new toy - I've got lots of cloud, so other people must by buying stuff :D
The NE5 might become part of an allsky setup, nothing worse than concentrating in a warm room on what the telescope is showing and forgetting the rain clouds brewing! Caught me out once and I was outside then!!!! :twitch:
Just call me Geoff....

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A few years ago I had my PST mounted on the side of my 150mm f/8 so I could do white light with the Baader wedge and Ha with the PST.
I was a lot of fun observing that way :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 pm A few years ago I had my PST mounted on the side of my 150mm f/8 so I could do white light with the Baader wedge and Ha with the PST.
I was a lot of fun observing that way :)
That sounds like it was an excellent visual setup, Gabby. Of course, with the quiescent Sun these days (months, years, ...) I don't think that white light observing is going to motivate a whole lot of new observers, and there's a bit of expense to getting into Ha viewing, which probably delays folks from jumping into it.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

True though really good white light viewing can be quite expensive as well.
A high quality Herschel wedge is almost the price of a PST.
Gabrielle
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:38 pm ... A high quality Herschel wedge is almost the price of a PST.
Ha! Since I've only done my white light observing with a front-mounted solar film, I was not aware that a good Herschel Wedge was also pricey. Thanks for filling me in about that. :oops:

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Yes - I have an SKE80 Mounted atop the ES127 I've had an absolute blast with the set up - usually camera in the 80 whilst having the okular in the 127.
It was great for he solar eclipse - an absolute blast for capturing events (transits, NEO's, Lunar eclipses).
IMG_20170528_163540.jpg
This was practice before the solar eclipse
IMG_20170711_095758.jpg
And for the cruddy nights & TOADS everyone has probably seen this arrangement before
TP40pt mount.jpg
Scope Stuff will be a great place to look for the bits & pieces to mount it up. Keep us updated & post pics of the final rig!

Note: I did more work on the 80 than Orion did thus the new upgraded designation :whistle:
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

smp wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:28 pm [quote="Lady Fraktor" post_id=7165 time=<a href="tel:1559230721">1559230721</a> user_id=60]
... A high quality Herschel wedge is almost the price of a PST.
Ha! Since I've only done my white light observing with a front-mounted solar film, I was not aware that a good Herschel Wedge was also pricey. Thanks for filling me in about that. :oops:

smp
[/quote]
The Baader film is excellent but the resolution difference with a wedge is another thing entirely.
SKEtrip wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:02 pm Yes - I have an SKE80 Mounted atop the ES127 I've had an absolute blast with the set up - usually camera in the 80 whilst having the okular in the 127.
Was great for solar during the solar eclipse - an absolute blast for capturing events (transits, NEO's, Lunar eclipses).
IMG_20170528_163540.jpg
Umm, Steve the eyepiece is over to your left a bit....
:D
Gabrielle
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Altocumulus wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 pm I have a WO 102GT that I, currently, use for Solar WL imaging.

Would you advise on whether it would be sensible/ideal/crazy, to use that as a base 'scope and place a bar between the mounting rings (about 177mm apart), add a suitable clamp and piggy-mount a Lunt LS 60 for use in Summer, replacing that Lunt with a Skymax 180 for Winter?

If so, any ideas on makes of bar etc - I keep looking for a sensibly priced bar/clamp combo.

Mount is a SW NEQ6-R pro, so should be ok with the weight of two 'scopes in a permanent fixed site.
Have you ever considered a side by side mounting?
180mm on one side and the WO/ Lunt on the other?
Gabrielle
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:09 pm Umm, Steve the eyepiece is over to your left a bit....
:D
:lol: The ES solar filter was in the mail at the time.....probably with the cheques for your "Agema fund".
How's this?
MSE 2017 08.jpg
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Saving the SV for yourself?
A great picture, I hope he enjoyed the views :)
Gabrielle
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:15 pm
Altocumulus wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 pm I have a WO 102GT that I, currently, use for Solar WL imaging.

Have you ever considered a side by side mounting?
180mm on one side and the WO/ Lunt on the other?
Considered. Yes - though I don't know how :D Swings and wotsits, especially with balancing. BUT it might be easier!!!! :veryconfused:
Just call me Geoff....

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Gabrielle
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Aye - I've just been looking at those!

I'm just trying to work out how to fix them around my current setup.

Because of stuff recommended, that wasn't suitable, but not wanting to waste, I bolted a WO losmandy plate onto a spare dovetail - that slots into my NE6. A WO 4 inch saddle is bolted to the plate, for the scope and happily copes with the 60 and 102. (There's also a powerhub on the plate 8-) )

Some of the side-by-sides I've seen (or even most), fit the mount directly at 90degrees to normal, whereas I'd be looking for a side by side bolted to the losmandy.

Otherwise I turn the losmandy through 90 deg on the dovetail, and bolt two suitable saddles at each end..... :Think: I can foresee balancing issues, but it would mean I wouldn't waste the losmandy. (unless I'm approaching over-weight) :sigh:
Just call me Geoff....