100 Times More Powerful Than A Traditional Telescope

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 100 Times More Powerful Than A Traditional Telescope

Post by AntennaGuy »

UlteriorModem wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:12 am I was thinking about this today and wondered where did they come up with the 100 times more powerful metric?
I suspect that is based simply on gathering (and summing over time) more light, rather than anything to do with resolution.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
man1
Moon Ambassador

Post by man1 »

As I watched the video my dog was sitting next to me, and I noticed his lips were rolled up a bit and it looked like he was laughing.... :-)
Orion XT10i custom, Orion GiantView BT-70, Bushnell Natureview 20-60x65, Barska 25-125x80
SkySafari6 Pro & 7 Pro, SkyFi 3, ASI290MC, T7C
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

For people with too much money and not enough brains. Bet they sell a lot of them.
I always let people know what to expect when they look through my scope. I personally think that the public will conclude that they are looking at a picture of the object and they will not get what I call the "Aha!" moment when they are seeing a planet with their own two eyes. Yes, I know when I show M31 to a crowd in a light polluted environment they are disappointed not to see a stunning Hubble image (or even my own 80 stacked images photo). But they are still looking at photons that have traveled for 2,500,000 years to get to their eyes. Not quite the same as when it's a computer screen.
It seems to me to be taking an awfully long time to get this to market. Hype? You bet. I guess they are not looking to sell stock. I'd buy - this'll make a fortune if they ever get it out. Caveat emptor.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

man1 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:11 pm As I watched the video my dog was sitting next to me, and I noticed his lips were rolled up a bit and it looked like he was laughing.... :-)
Cute dog! And smart, too.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Lokifish
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

I've looked at this from a traditionalist's aspect as well as techie, outreach and AP'er aspects. The traditionalist in me says ANY camera and electronics should be poopooed. The techie, outreach and AP'er in me thinks it a great idea.

Pros
It's cost is less than a comparable kit you could put together using new gear (unless you do a ton of DIY work).
Augmented reality overlay is pretty much nonexistent outside of something like this.
It's size makes it a compact outreach/urban kit that doesn't need laptops, tons of cables, and so on.

Cons
It's capability is limited due to the camera, mount, and OTA (then again, that splitting hairs as most rigs are limited on one capacity or another)
Many traditionalists will hate it.
It requires a phone or tablet to use.

I think the EVF argument lacks bite. Anyone that's done AP or "EAA" is essentially doing the same thing minus the augmented reality aspect.
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
jeetu
Earth Ambassador

Post by jeetu »

Its a beginner scope for the lazy who wants to view DSO. However with Musk's starlink satellite project and growing light pollution. After few decades , these types of scopes might be the only usable telescopes left for most part of the world. I don't think its a good scope for planets and moon.
Cyber3dx
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cyber3dx »

Saw this thread, and being an eVscope enthusiast (it should arrive soon), I just started a FaceBook User Group. If you are interested in checking it out and make a post, here is the URL: https://www.facebook.com/EVscope-Users- ... 591475771/

It is local. But, you can be from anywhere really.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Cyber3dx wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:51 pm Saw this thread, and being an eVscope enthusiast (it should arrive soon), I just started a FaceBook User Group. If you are interested in checking it out and make a post, here is the URL: https://www.facebook.com/EVscope-Users- ... 591475771/

It is local. But, you can be from anywhere really.
cool, and please do a report after your first use.