That Xinese Telescope

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

That Xinese Telescope

Post by Marcelo F. »

Xiaomi BEEBEST XA90 Professional Astronomical Telescope

Now you can buy a telescope and make sure it is 100% Chinese.

Do any of you know if anyone has done a serious review of this device?
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: That Xinese Telescope

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice looking package but looking at it I would pass on it.
1. Plastic 1.25" focuser, Celestron, Meade and Orion use these on some of their starter packages and they are not very good.
2. 6x30 finderscope. Some are very good but the majority are no better than a sight tube.
3. EQ-1 mount will be at its limit for operation and will be quite frustrating to view with as it will likely shake considerably while trying to focus.
4. Tripod spreader does not actually touch the spreader legs so does nothing to help stabilize the tripod.
5. 45° prism is best for daytime viewing and would need to be replaced with a 90° for more viewing comfort.

After watching the set up video I did like the screw on attachments for the slow motion controls, a nice feature there.
One other thing I noticed in the telescope specifications was lens material. It had it listed as PL lens. This could just be poor ad copy or translation issues but hopefully it does not mean plastic.
The eyepieces are also listed as PL20mm so who knows :)

If you are looking for something such as this do you have a budget in mind?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I'd have to agree with Gabby for sure... https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-BEEBEST-XA90-Astronomical-Telescope-White-404914.html
For the price in CDN$, 340, I could and would rather get a 6" Dob. Way more bang for the buck :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador

Post by Marcelo F. »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:31 pm A nice looking package but looking at it I would pass on it.
1. Plastic 1.25" focuser, Celestron, Meade and Orion use these on some of their starter packages and they are not very good.
2. 6x30 finderscope. Some are very good but the majority are no better than a sight tube.
3. EQ-1 mount will be at its limit for operation and will be quite frustrating to view with as it will likely shake considerably while trying to focus.
4. Tripod spreader does not actually touch the spreader legs so does nothing to help stabilize the tripod.
5. 45° prism is best for daytime viewing and would need to be replaced with a 90° for more viewing comfort.

After watching the set up video I did like the screw on attachments for the slow motion controls, a nice feature there.
One other thing I noticed in the telescope specifications was lens material. It had it listed as PL lens. This could just be poor ad copy or translation issues but hopefully it does not mean plastic.

I won't buy any telescopes anytime soon (at least until I collimate mine and see if I correct the optical aberrations). I was just sharing a product I found on a Chinese website while looking for a cat hair remover.
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador

Post by Marcelo F. »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:44 pm I'd have to agree with Gabby for sure... https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-BEEBEST-XA90-Astronomical-Telescope-White-404914.html
For the price in CDN$, 340, I could and would rather get a 6" Dob. Way more bang for the buck :D

All the best,
Yes, for that price my next purchase will be something more like this:
https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/sky ... r_2_select
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Marcelo F. wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:29 am
Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:31 pm A nice looking package but looking at it I would pass on it.

I won't buy any telescopes anytime soon (at least until I collimate mine and see if I correct the optical aberrations). I was just sharing a product I found on a Chinese website while looking for a cat hair remover.
Well, any scope you buy will attract cat hair :)
Sorry couldn't resist 😏
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D