My worst ever scope

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My worst ever scope

Post by KathyNS »

This is my first ever telescope, which my parents got me for Christmas when I was seven. It had a 2", 1 diopter (1000mm focal length) spectacle lens objective, and a fixed eyepiece of unknown focal length in a draw tube. The OTA was a cardboard mailing tube, glammed up with a black paper coating.

The tripod was the absolute worst piece of junk ever foisted upon an unsuspecting nerdy kid. The legs were half-inch springy steel rods, with rivets for the pivot points. Backlash in the az bearing was about 30 degrees.

The one in the picture looks a little more bent than mine was, and I at least knew to point it up, not down like the photo shows. I never did see anything through it, though.

I eventually saved up my allowance and upgraded to a department store Tasco a few years later.
Frank scope set up.jpg
Frank scope set up.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 18792 times
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Re: My worst ever scope

Post by The Happy Parrot »

I love that it was a cardboard mailing tube. Lately, I've been thinking of taking a telescope making class and your Franklin is my inspiration, tripod and all!
THP

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Telescopes: Refractor: Celestron DX 102AZ SSE f6.5; Newtonians: Z8 f5.9; Jason Comet 480t (ret.)
Eye Pieces: Meade 5.5 mm, ES 8.8 mm/82, Agena SG 12 mm, ES16 mm/68 & 24mm/68, Z30mm WF, Celestron 32 mm Pl.
Binoculars: Olympus DPS I 10x50
Backyard Light Pollution: Orange Bortle 4-5
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

My worst scope was also my first. The box was decorated with images of galaxies, nebulae, and planets in all their colorful glory. Unfortunately it was a 30mm x 30x scope, with a narrow field of view, and you had to draw the tube out (two interlocking cardboard tubes) in order to focus. But I did see some details on the moon with it, but man was that thing was hard to hold steady!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

This brings back memories, yea my first scope was not so great. The scope itself was pretty decent a Tasco 2" I think.

But the mount, ugh, it was horrible. Especially the mount head. It was alt az of course no big deal but you would move on to a target and as soon as you released it the target would slip out of the field of view. After a while I got the hang of putting the target out of view on the opposite side of the slop drop and sometimes it would center, sometimes.

The only way to 'deal' with all the slop was to hold the ota with a hand to keep it steady. Well you know how that goes :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

My first scope was the Bushnell Sky Chief. The scope was not really bad, but the EP were enough to discourage any further interest, although my first view of Saturn was with this scope. It sat in a closet for over 30 years.
ab1963
Earth Ambassador

Post by ab1963 »

Mine was a 10'' SW Dob viewed through it once and then couldn't sell it quickly enough
'
Tak FC100DF+FTF3035BA, Vixen SD81S+Baader D-Steeltrack
DM4, Berlebach uni 28
Baader BBHS mirror 2''
Powermate 2x
Nagler 31, Ethos 21, Delos 17.3, Nikon Nav HW 17/14, Docter 12.5,SV Optimus 4.7
Swarovski 8x25CL Binos
Lumicon oiii, uhc 1.25''-Dgm/Omega H-b 2''
p1taylor Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by p1taylor »

My first scope was a 2" by some London maker I was about 12 did ant get proper scope till 2003.

peter
LUNT LS 60THa WITH PRESSURE TUNER, BLOCKING FILTER B1200, Skywatcher Startravel 80T OTA, ZWO ASI 178MM, lot of bit
Rainmaker
Moon Ambassador

Post by Rainmaker »

KathyNS wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:58 pm This is my first ever telescope, which my parents got me for Christmas when I was seven. It had a 2", 1 diopter (1000mm focal length) spectacle lens objective, and a fixed eyepiece of unknown focal length in a draw tube. The OTA was a cardboard mailing tube, glammed up with a black paper coating.

The tripod was the absolute worst piece of junk ever foisted upon an unsuspecting nerdy kid. The legs were half-inch springy steel rods, with rivets for the pivot points. Backlash in the az bearing was about 30 degrees.

The one in the picture looks a little more bent than mine was, and I at least knew to point it up, not down like the photo shows. I never did see anything through it, though.

I eventually saved up my allowance and upgraded to a department store Tasco a few years later.

Frank scope set up.jpg
That looks better than my very first scope which I found at a rubbish dump..... I could only ever see the Moon in it but that got me hooked.......
Matt in Oz
Rainmaker “Excalibur” 18” F3.5 +SIPS @ 1860mm
TMB-LZOS 152mm F7.9 @ 1200mm
Takahashi FOA 60mm F8.8
Takahashi FC76DC F7.5
Skylight AR101.15
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

the old Mk.I eyeballs were used until I was working and picked up an orange tube C8. Then the learning curve hit me. ;). Got rid of it a few years later, as life was getting in the way.:(. Then years of having a pair of 10x50's then I bit the bullet on a 130 refractor and now am awaiting delivery of a Meade 8" which is to be played with on the bench.:). So for me I've been lucky enough not to have had a 'worst'. It doesn't mean that I haven't viewed through some atrocious binoculars and Target type purchases people have bought for their kids or for themselves, thinking to 'get into the hobby' and then dumping them after the first time in the not so cold evenings. :)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador

Post by Kingofthehill »

I don't think I've actually had a bad one. I got into the hobby later in life so I didn't have to suffer through bad scopes. Birding binoculars, however, is another matter.
Paul
Main telescope used is Obsession 18UC
Cut my teeth on Orion 10" Dob
AR152 and Orion ST80 sit mostly unused
Lots of binoculars
Apollo69s Sweden
Earth Ambassador

Post by Apollo69s »

Meade etx 70,,it was very funny when turning the turret ,it was more fun then looking into it..and now its been walking the floor ,,but im not in bad mode for that,,cause off that im going bigger..
EQ-6--- :pray: ---EXOS-2---- :pray: Bresser Messier AR-152/1200--- :pray: ---
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

My brother and I shared a cheap refractor. I believe it was about 700 mm fl. We did manage decent ( my recollection) views of the moon, but really didn’t know much about using a telescope. I eventually made a crude mount for my slr (Asahi Pentax Spotmatic) and used it as a telephoto.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Mine was something that looked like a telescope that my next door passed to me last year.( don't think he likes me !!!.). He'd had it set up in his lounge and said he'd viewed the Moon with it ( I think he lies ). It wasn't branded and I'd guess it was around 40mm, but have no idea of it's fl.The tripod was terrible and shook if you breathed on it. the 2 eyepieces were point 9 something inches with plastic lenses 4mm and 20mm.
I did try to set it up with the intention of giving it to my grand kids but I couldn't get it to focus no matter how I tried so it went into a skip.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

My first two scopes were Sears (Tasco?) refractors, one an alt-az, then an EQ. I think they were 60mm. They didn't seem like bad scopes to me back then, but that was decades ago and I was living in Bortle 3 skies.

My Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 binos are a different story however...
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Defining "worst" as "most disappointing" my first three scopes weren't the worst. In order they were a tiny Tasco spotter on an integrated tripod, a 40mm f/slow refractor from Edmund, and a slow Newtonian I built myself, 6".

No the greatest disappointment came later in the form of a Celestron 9.25 SCT which was soft on the Moon despite having good collimation. I traded it for an upgrade to a Celestron 9.25 Edge HD which was wonderful!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

My worst was a 50 mm cheap thing I bought as a kid. It was great in one thing, though: dispersion.
I could see the image of the moon... actually several... in different colours... mostly on top of each other...

I just bought my second one, OrionOptics VX12, in the beginning of June. I don't know if it's good or not: the sky has been too bright and there has been quite lot of rains. But the night sky is starting to get darker.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:46 pm My worst was a 50 mm cheap thing I bought as a kid. It was great in one thing, though: dispersion.
I could see the image of the moon... actually several... in different colours... mostly on top of each other...

I just bought my second one, OrionOptics VX12, in the beginning of June. I don't know if it's good or not: the sky has been too bright and there has been quite lot of rains. But the night sky is starting to get darker.

My first telescope I bought (as a teenager) was also a 50mm scope - but optically it was excellent - a Tasco 66TE. I dug it out a couple of months ago and it is now back in operation on a heavy camera/video tripod. It wasn't cheap, though. In fact, accounting for inflation, it is still the most expensive telescope I ever bought (about US $400 in today's money). Most expensive was a new Celestron Omni XLT 150 Newtonian I got for a great deal - slightly less than $400.

I bought my second telescope exactly 30 years later - an Orion Funscope (76mm F/3.9 tabletop Newtonian). Optically it was the poorest scope I ever used, with severe spherical aberration away from the center of the FOV. But it got me back into astronomy after over two decades out of it - soon got another scope and haven't since looked back.

Good luck with your new second scope - it sounds massive. Hope you get to test it in darker skies soon...
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

terrynak wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:45 pm
turboscrew wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:46 pm My worst was a 50 mm cheap thing I bought as a kid. It was great in one thing, though: dispersion.

My first telescope I bought (as a teenager) was also a 50mm scope - but optically it was excellent - a Tasco 66TE. I dug it out a couple of months ago and it is now back in operation on a heavy camera/video tripod. It wasn't cheap, though. In fact, accounting for inflation, it is still the most expensive telescope I ever bought (about US $400 in today's money). Most expensive was a new Celestron Omni XLT 150 Newtonian I got for a great deal - slightly less than $400.

I bought my second telescope exactly 30 years later - an Orion Funscope (76mm F/3.9 tabletop Newtonian). Optically it was the poorest scope I ever used, with severe spherical aberration away from the center of the FOV. But it got me back into astronomy after over two decades out of it - soon got another scope and haven't since looked back.

Good luck with your new second scope - it sounds massive. Hope you get to test it in darker skies soon...
The positive thing in that old scope was that if it had other aberrations, you wouldn't notice. :lol:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Well now, this is my worst ever and also my best ever scope; bought for me Christmas 1969 - after me pestering following events earlier in the year. The Prinz was an exlusive for Dixons in the UK and the performance was not at all bad 60mm 710mm fl, the mount was iffy (tripod made from cheap dyed wood) with the Alt control consisting of untightening the screw on each side of the tube, unscrewing the knurled knob on the silver bar - positioning and tighening all back up [without losing alignment].

ImagePrinz 330 by Tony Boutle, on Flickr

But with this scope I first saw Saturn and was blown away by seeing the rings, and then many happy evening and early night were spend laying on the lawn gazing up. My dad never joined me in this, he was a stay in the warm & poke the scope out of an open window kind of guy. But it was he that found Saturn and cemented my love of the sky. Ah, happy days. :sprefac:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

My worst ever scope was not my first scope. In fact I was middle age when I bought it. It also turned out to be my most expensive scope.

I've enjoyed astronomy since I was in grade school. When I graduated from college and started my family I confined my observing to binoculars, which totally satisfied me. One day, after my children were grown and gone I followed my wife to a yard sale where I saw a small off brand reflector on a wobbly tripod for only $20. How could I go wrong? I hadn't had a telescope since college.

The thing was so wobbly I could barely view the moon. My wife eventually sold it at another yard sale for much less that $20. It was so frustrating that I had to replace it with a 6" used dob, which I replaced with an 8" dob, which I replaced with a 10" dob, etc. etc. etc. That's how it also became my most expensive telescope.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution