I'm about to commit Blasphemy.

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: I'm about to commit Blasphemy.

Post by smp »

The UniStellar eVscope at $3000, is almost in the same area as purchasing a Night Vision monocular and setting it up for use along with any of your existing scopes. A NV monocular or binocular can also be used as a hand-held device, or with existing camera lenses, if you purchase the NV device with a C-mount and the proper adapter for your camera lenses.

Just adding in another way to spend your money...

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

See, now I can't stop thinking about getting one of those bad-boys. Very intrigued.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
Jaq1967
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jaq1967 »

If you've got the cash then make the splash. Look forwards to read the 1st light on this.

It looks like a heck of a piece of kit, but is it that good???

Btw... new here!!! :)
Telescopes: Altair Astro Starware 102ED-R, SW P150 reflector, SW SkyMax127 mak, Meade ETX90 mak, SW Startravel 80 Table Top Telescope
Mount: HEQ5-Pro, EQ3-2
Camera: Pentax K-50, Pentax K-70, Altair Hypercam 183C Pro TEC
Accessories: Various

Cyber3dx
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cyber3dx »

Hi, my 2 cents. There is a lot more to the eVscope that piqued my interest. Enough so, that I ordered one a couple of years ago. Mine is number 1,283. Ouch!

But, what I like is the "citizen scientist" aspect of it. It is a brilliant concept. Imagine hundreds or thousands of eVscopes monitoring the same system or patch of sky! The fact that I will be looking at a high res eyepiece "monitor" does not bother me at all. I live in the city so light pollution is always a problem (I am a bit mobility disabled), and this scope is so very promising.

I have a 10" Dob with which I routinely attach a DSLR to it and view the results on a laptop. It that not a telescope? I think it is. The eVscope puts it all together so elegantly and with a built-in motorized computer-controlled equatorial mount! I also like the idea that I won't have to work post sighting stacking images. It is all done there automatically.
Cyber3dx
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cyber3dx »

I want to mention that with my being an eVscope enthusiast (it should arrive soon), I just started a FaceBook User Group. If you are interested in checking it out and making a post, here is the URL: https://www.facebook.com/EVscope-Users- ... 591475771/

It is local. But, you can be from anywhere really.
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

Maybe watch this first?
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Cyber3dx
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cyber3dx »

My God. I never heard such a dismissive boob as this guy. It's probably only because he doesn't sell the eVscope in his store!
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Cyber3dx wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:31 am My God. I never heard such a dismissive boob as this guy. It's probably only because he doesn't sell the eVscope in his store!
Nope. He's debunked the hype in the same way I would. If I was given an eVscope I'd register it or sell it. I'm not interested. To do video astronomy I'd go with Malincam or something similar. MUCH less expensive and more flexible.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:07 am
Cyber3dx wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:31 am My God. I never heard such a dismissive boob as this guy. It's probably only because he doesn't sell the eVscope in his store!
Nope. He's debunked the hype in the same way I would. If I was given an eVscope I'd register it or sell it. I'm not interested. To do video astronomy I'd go with Malincam or something similar. MUCH less expensive and more flexible.
Instead of "register", an auto correct error, "regift" was intended.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

$3000 for a cheap single fork alt/az 4.5" reflector with a built in tiny cmos camera, lol OMG! Buddy your advertising to the wrong crowd, lol. I expect bankruptcy and angry customers when they find out they've been swindled.
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

Ummm, nobody does because it's not available yet, according to their website, summer 2020?? Please pre-order though, lol. That's akin to opening your car window on the highway with $3000 sitting on your passenger seat.
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I understand doing what is necessary to keep the romance with the night sky alive. Most of us will not make a lasting impact on science, but science will make a lasting impact on us. My favorite way of exploring the universe has always been star hopping with a big dob and binoculars. Several years ago I had an eye problem that required suyrgery from which my sight would never fully recover. I thought astronomy was over for me. I began to learn the world of astrophotography, not so much for perfection of photographs, but to replace my eyes for exploring. I also had to change from star hopping to electronics. I felt like I was cheating. More recently I have begun to realize that I am getting a little old to be packing everything up at night and sleeping in the back of my car. I am in the process of building a small observatory. These were necessary changes if I wanted to keep exploring the night sky. My advice is to do whatever it takes. if possible, to keep the romance alive.

That said, I also agree with your decision to bounce your changes off others on this forum. They have saved me from a lot of mistakes over the years.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Smitty
Moon Ambassador

Post by Smitty »

Hi Lisa, your old friend Cherokee here" :happy-sunny:
Good luck on your decision to make the purchase or not.:think:
Great to see you again and Happy Holiday's to you and yours!
TELESCOPES:
SkyWatcher 10"/250mm Collapsible Dobsonian:
Celestron 8SE:
Meade NG-60SM 60mm refractor:

GEAR/ACCESSORIES:
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 binoculars:
ZWO ASI120MC-S Camera:

(Formerly known as "Cherokee" on AF)
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Probably a bit late but I would also look into the Stellina especially if this is for outreach. The difference with the evScope is that the Stellina has no eyepiece and you have to connect with a smartphone or tablet (IOs or Android). Up to 10 users can connect to see the images, while 1 person drives. It has plate solving, stacking and alignment built in and even has a derotator for longer exposures. According to some reviews that I read, it actually works as advertised. In that case you probably can't do any better in terms of portability and ease of use. I haven't read much about the evScope but I have the impression that the Stellina is one step up so long as you don't care about not having an eyepiece (to a digital display).
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

https://www.space.com/stellina-smart-te ... eview.html

Here's a review of Stellina, I don't know about you but these captured images are trash. M13 definitely shows field rotation along with poor resolution. $4000?? no thanks.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

mbenjaminz28 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:10 pm https://www.space.com/stellina-smart-te ... eview.html

Here's a review of Stellina, I don't know about you but these captured images are trash. M13 definitely shows field rotation along with poor resolution. $4000?? no thanks.
Keep in mind the question of this thread is not if it is good for you or me but for Lisa. If you read her threads here or on AF you should have an idea of the challenges that she faces. Personally I would stick with my own setup but that is not the question here.

Second, there are better links than yours. In your link M31 was taken from a roof top in NY, and I doubt if the elongated stars in M13 were caused by field rotation because I don't see a circular pattern, most likely it was wind. The double cluster doesn't look too bad.

Here's a CN discussion, check these posts:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6106 ... ?p=9730604 (all under 2 minutes)
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6106 ... ?p=9789629 (looks like an infomercial but still good info, the reviewers are French too)

Here's a gizmodo review with images taken by the reviewer: https://gizmodo.com/i-made-amazing-imag ... 1837845368

I find this material credible enough to give Lisa a positive recommendation.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Lisa,

the electronically enhanced vision is certainly the way to go, and not just for fun under the night skies -
- and the generation of the old boys looking just through the cold pieces of glass, as you can see me on my avatar, is dying out.

The added advantage of the eVscope might be in the ease of use when finding the objects.
Try it out, and when it works for you, then ...

Don't forget the interstellar comet Borisov https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astrono ... lar-comet/
which may become visible through the electronicall enhanced vision telescopes,

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

I hope this Evscope is decent but with all the self enclosed electronics, internal camera, internaI focuser, internal battery etc. I can just see this becoming a warranty nightmare or a $3000 paperweight. I certainly would not be an early adopter.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

OK, here's a thought: if the quality of the optics and mount of the eVscope were to rival that of a Questar (see https://www.astronomics.com/questar-3-5 ... l?___SID=U), this could be something special. Seems unlikely, though.
:)
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Curious to see how this turns out. :popcorn: There are certainly cheaper alternatives, but if you want this type of bundle, it could be a good thing. Even if it bombs, maybe this will spur people to come up with better, more affordable technology.

It wasn't that long ago that go-to scopes got the stink-eye. (Well, I still give them the stink-eye b/c of all the horror stories on CN, but whatever...)

Now how do I scrape up $5K for a Questar? :think:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s