My 12" F/4 GSO astrograph

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My 12" F/4 GSO astrograph

Post by SkyHiker »

The scope finally arrived today. I just installed it on my G11S and found the sight pretty impressive so I wanted to share it.

The OnStep controller had no problems moving it around! I will need another counterweight however, 33 lbs. can barely keep it balanced.

Let's hope I can actually use it, it's quite hefty. I have some ideas to make it easy to install the scope with gear and all.
IMG_0930_small.jpg
IMG_0929_small.jpg
IMG_0928_small.jpg
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My 12" F/4 GSO astrograph

Post by starfield »

What a nice rig. Looks like it was worth the wait and just in time for galaxy season! Enjoy.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice looking setup Henk, I hope you get a lot of use from it.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

That is a thing of beauty, Henk! Congrats on (finally) taking receipt and getting its initial setup. We eagerly await great thing!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Damn, Hank!
That is a beast (a beautiful one too)!
You are going to be able to pull some photons in with that!
Can’t wait to hear the first light. Congratulations!
Didn’t you also order a dedicated astro camera?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

This is a great boy, congratulations.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Thanks guys yes it's quite a scope. The first opportunity will be Saturday, perhaps Friday according to clearoutside.

First thing I will do is drill two holes in the Losmandy shoe for a backstop. That way I can lift the scope on the mount in one swoop, rest it on the saddle and have two hands free to tighten the screws. Having to keep the 40 lbs. scope from sliding down with one hand while the other adjusts the screws is too hard. Otherwise it's quite doable. With the camera and guider mounted it will be 45 lbs or so.

I may make a caddie using the 8" air wheels of the triangular caddie that I built for my AVX to move the whole scope into a Rubbermaid shed. I rarely use that caddie anymore. Carrying it for 10 m is not hard though. Getting a good handle on it is important, and at F/4 it's just the right size.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:06 pm Damn, Hank!
Yes I did, last ETA I heard is early April. The ASI2600MM was bought on preorder so it's not quite released yet. Though one of our members in SA has received one and reported that it's a fabulous camera. I will keep my eyes open and will not let it become a moving target.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:20 pm
Yes I did, last ETA I heard is early April. The ASI2600MM was bought on preorder so it's not quite released yet. Though one of our members in SA has received one and reported that it's a fabulous camera. I will keep my eyes open and will not let it become a moving target.
That is an awesome camera. And, you went with mono. Cool.

I really like my 533 even though the fov is small with the small sensor ($$). Hoping to get a small 60-70 mm refractor later this year. I just don't get enough good sky to go mono, so I will stick with OSC.

You are going to have an amazing imaging package!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

messier 111 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:40 pm This is a great boy, congratulations.
Thanks Jean-Yves.

Hey, I looked at your website and noticed you used my PA method for your barndoor. Nice job documenting it, thanks! I still use it today every time, it works best for adjusting once the tripod is placed in approximately the same position each time.

I want to build a quality portable barndoor mount for a 300 mm lens and was looking at your cool design, which I remembered. Very nice web page with great images. Especially the epoxied female screw profile is interesting. Like you wrote, it can cause PE. I have a screw against screw propulsion on an EQ platform that caused the same, I had to fix it.

Eventually for the barndoor I concluded that the main bottleneck is the tripod. I will try my current barndoor with my Tiltall tripod. The tripod is too heavy to carry on a hike in the mountains though.

Sorry I am going off topic, just wanted to let you know I visited your web site.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:25 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:20 pm
That is an awesome camera. And, you went with mono. Cool.

I really like my 533 even though the fov is small with the small sensor ($$). Hoping to get a small 60-70 mm refractor later this year. I just don't get enough good sky to go mono, so I will stick with OSC.

You are going to have an amazing imaging package!
Yes I certainly won't have crappy gear to blame! Having a 12" opens up a lot more targets that are too small for my 6" such as galaxies. I also suspect I can make it work for planets. It is still transportable. I look forward to taking my gear to the Kaibab star party by the Grand Canyon in June for a week long astrophotography/hiking vacation. The skies should be superb. At home I can use narrowband but oftentimes LRGB too because the weather is usually quite good. The mountains are nearby, should I need to escape the lights.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 pm
messier 111 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:40 pm This is a great boy, congratulations.
Thanks Jean-Yves.

Hey, I looked at your website and noticed you used my PA method for your barndoor. Nice job documenting it, thanks! I still use it today every time, it works best for adjusting once the tripod is placed in approximately the same position each time.

I want to build a quality portable barndoor mount for a 300 mm lens and was looking at your cool design, which I remembered. Very nice web page with great images. Especially the epoxied female screw profile is interesting. Like you wrote, it can cause PE. I have a screw against screw propulsion on an EQ platform that caused the same, I had to fix it.

Eventually for the barndoor I concluded that the main bottleneck is the tripod. I will try my current barndoor with my Tiltall tripod. The tripod is too heavy to carry on a hike in the mountains though.

Sorry I am going off topic, just wanted to let you know I visited your web site.
Good evening,
I'm sorry but I don't have a web site.
Unless you're talking about Juno16.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Congrats! Sweet setup! My 10" f/4 Schmidt Newtonian ia about all I can handle by myself, at least for now! I'll be interested to see your innovations for handling that baby!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

That's a monster! Congrats.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Oh my, there be monsters here! Love it!
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:36 am The scope finally arrived today. I just installed it on my G11S and found the sight pretty impressive so I wanted to share it.

Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

messier 111 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:14 am
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 pm
Thanks Jean-Yves.
(....)
Good evening,
I'm sorry but I don't have a web site.
Unless you're talking about Juno16.
Sorry my mistake, I mixed you up with another Canadian member AstrogazerQ without double-checking (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13904&p=117054&hil ... ac#p117054)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Well here’s my setup that I will try tonight.

I have added a wooden stop underneath the Losmandy dovetail. There was a screw hole already so all I had to do was cut the wood to the right size so it is balanced, shorten the screw that I found, drill a hole and screw it in. I only have to make a power push to lift the scope on the mount, flip it down so the stop holds it, then tighten the screws. Not too hard really, it’s only 48 lbs. and when I grab it at both sides it’s easy to carry. I can still see the DEC level with the stop on.

I fixed the counterweight problem by making an adapter for my guide scope to fit at the bottom of the counterweight bar. It doubles as a stop for the two other weights. It balances perfectly, there is more space to push the weights out if I have to. Over all it is better for balancing than putting a guide scope on top of the OTA.

I line up the guide scope to the OTA by pushing a glass fiber tent pole segment against the base of the guide scope shoe and eyeball if it lines up with the OTA. Should be pretty accurate. Keep in mind that for now I need to use my guide scope for plate solving so long as I don’t have my ASI2600MM yet, so it needs to be lined up.

I installed Astroberry on my Pi 4B with 8 GB and it looks great. I have not yet hooked it up but maybe I will, tonight. One problem is that it is powered by USB-C and I want it to be powered by a 12 V cigarette lighter socket. I can use the power adapter that came with it for now if I add an extension cord.

I figured out how to an old Boost cell phone as a web cam and view it through a web browser through the LiveDroid app. It will be fun to watch the scope move from my computer. If I want smooth video I need to hook up an ethernet cable. The Pi is powerful enough but the Wifi dongle is slow.
IMG_0932_small.jpg
IMG_0936_small.jpg
IMG_0938_small.jpg
IMG_0941_small.jpg
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Impressive adaptations Henk! I would have to seriously ramp up my daily planks and Kegel exercises to power lift and hoist that ota.

Excited to see how it goes tonight.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

ohh yes ! finaly !
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

diy spring loaded worm, custom motor/driverboard ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .