anyone with Takahashi disease here?

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Re: anyone with Takahashi disease here?

Post by WilliamPaolini »

When I got my first Apo, I ran several threads to get input from others on a "best" 100mm class scope with primary application being planetary observing. I wanted to buy one and done and not to look back on my decision second guessing. So put a lot of effort and consideration into it. In the end, with input from a large number of people, I "settled" on the Takahashi TSA-102 (actually no settling there :lol:). I've had the scope for about 15 years now. Not once, for one millisecond have I looked back on that choice for any reason. And every singe time I am out with it, its performance always (yes always) impresses me to no end! It is a sublimely wonderful optic and OTA in every way. I really do not consider myself a "fan" of Takahashi as I have lots of equipment from various vendors. But my TSA-102 has a level of gestalt about it that makes it a joy to experience with each and every use (and I've used most all major brands in the field).

Eyepieces I use with it are generally:
- General Observing: Pentax XW (full set) or Baader Morpheus (full set)
- General Observing Lite: Takahashi LE (18mm to 5mm)
- Double Stars Edmund RKE (28mm to 8mm)
- Planetary: 6mm ZAO-II, 5mm Pentax XO, 4mm Abbe (cherry picked vintage volcano top that bests the 4mm ZAO-II I had), 4.4mm+5.9mm Ball Singlet Eyepieces (max contrast)
Fig 11.jpg
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

WilliamPaolini wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:30 am When I got my first Apo, I ran several threads to get input from others on a "best" 100mm class scope with primary application being planetary observing. I wanted to buy one and done and not to look back on my decision second guessing. So put a lot of effort and consideration into it. In the end, with input from a large number of people, I "settled" on the Takahashi TSA-102 (actually no settling there :lol:). I've had the scope for about 15 years now. Not once, for one millisecond have I looked back on that choice for any reason. And every singe time I am out with it, its performance always (yes always) impresses me to no end! It is a sublimely wonderful optic and OTA in every way. I really do not consider myself a "fan" of Takahashi as I have lots of equipment from various vendors. But my TSA-102 has a level of gestalt about it that makes it a joy to experience with each and every use (and I've used most all major brands in the field).

- Planetary: 6mm ZAO-II, 5mm Pentax XO, 4mm Abbe (cherry picked vintage volcano top that bests the 4mm ZAO-II I had), 4.4mm+5.9mm Ball Singlet Eyepieces (max contrast)

especially with the binos, it must be very immersive.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

A while back in this thread I posted about a friend buying a TOA150. He finally received it but at the time didn't have an appropriate mount for his rig so he loaned it to a friend for an extended period of time. He eventually sold it to him! I don't think he ever used it.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Dave1
Earth Ambassador

Post by Dave1 »

WilliamPaolini wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:30 am When I got my first Apo, I ran several threads to get input from others on a "best" 100mm class scope with primary application being planetary observing. I wanted to buy one and done and not to look back on my decision second guessing. So put a lot of effort and consideration into it. In the end, with input from a large number of people, I "settled" on the Takahashi TSA-102 (actually no settling there :lol:). I've had the scope for about 15 years now. Not once, for one millisecond have I looked back on that choice for any reason. And every singe time I am out with it, its performance always (yes always) impresses me to no end! It is a sublimely wonderful optic and OTA in every way. I really do not consider myself a "fan" of Takahashi as I have lots of equipment from various vendors. But my TSA-102 has a level of gestalt about it that makes it a joy to experience with each and every use (and I've used most all major brands in the field).

Thanks Bill, I've been following you for years to be honest, your forum contribution on various forums and your articles definitely helps me to decide which direction I should go in with my astronomy gear. One of the reasons I brought a Baader Zeiss 2" diagonal is because of your articles comparing diagonals. I have yet to try a Baader BBHS mirror diagonal, but that is on my hit list. I'd love to try a ZAO-II eyepiece but there prices are a bit high at the moment. So I will settle for 0.965" CZJ I have. I do have the chance to buy a nearly complete set of 0.965" Pentax SMC Ortho's but I had to choose between either the Takahashi FS78 I've just bought or the 0.965" Pentax SMC Ortho's. I chose the Tak.. As it made more sense as an upgrade to my gear. I still have a fairly complete set of 1.25" Volcano Top Ortho's made mostly by Circle T though one is Circle V. My 9mm Circle T Ortho seems to be a gem, so I'd never sell that before doing critical comparison to a new 9mm. One eyepiece I was not impressed by and sold was the 7mm HD-Ortho ( Kokusai Kohki /Fujiyama ).

I did a lot of research before deciding on getting a premium 3" class telescope and particularly the Tak FS78. The reason I went with a 3" class telescope is simple, its my favourite size of telescope and gets the most use, I've owned 2.4", 3", 4", 5", and 6". At one point I owned 2.4", 3", and 4" at the same time. The 3" was the most frequently used. The FS78 is regarded as one of the very best for visual astronomy in the 3" class. Knowing the FS78 don't come up for sale very often, when I saw one advertise at a fair price with in the UK, I jumped at it.
Skylight 60mm F16.7 - Takahashi FS78 F8.

Brandon 8mm, 12mm - Edmund Optics RKE 8mm, 15mm - Takahashi MC Ortho 5mm, 7mm - Pentax Ortho 6mm - Carl Zeiss Jena Ortho 10mm - Carl Zeiss Jena Huygens 16mm, 25mm. 

Baader Zeiss 2" prism diagonal - Parks 1.25" prism diagonal.
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

I have often thought about getting one of the Tak 3" Fluorites. It is definitely a fun aperture, especially for doubles; plus the small form factor make using it a breeze. But I have the Vixen 81S Apo and it is a fantastic performer and do not want to part with that.

The ZOAs are really the pinnacle of the Abbe design IMO. Flawless execution and it shows in the performance. However, the TMB Supermonocentrics will best them in most critical observing. But the downside of the TMBs is the small 30 degree AFOV and often you need a longer focal ratio to have a sharp off-axis without FC. I had a 4mm TMB that was simply superb, whereas the 4mm ZAO-II I had was a lemon. After buying and reselling a slew of 4mm volcano top Abbes (circle- t,v, - mostly) I finally found one that put up a planetary view as sharp and precise as the TMB with just a tad less contrast (hard to beat the contrast from the TMBs unless using a ball singlet - which I have 2). More fun IMO hunting down an outstanding volcano from the used market than shelling out the $500-600 for a ZAO. Only thing is you really need a baseline planetary eyepiece to test against. I used my 6mm ZAO-II (which is singularly spectacular) with a special Barlow to get it to 4mm so went thru my volcano Abbe hunt using that as the baseline to meet or beat.

Another option is to use a longer focal length monocentric and Barlow that to get to 4, 5, or 6mm. The Burgess 10mm Ultramonos are actually quite excellent when Barlowed with a quality unit, plus it cleans up the off-axis of the mono as well. My 10 Ultramono barlowed to 5mm equalled my 5 XO on planets so am quite impressed with those. An incredible eyepiece on-axis for the price. I actually have 2 for the bino (their ER is pretty good) and use a mild OCA with those for planetary.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
Dave1
Earth Ambassador

Post by Dave1 »

@WilliamPaolini The Vixen 81S from what I've read is a very good telescope. The guy I bought the FS78 from actually had a Vixen 81S. He stated that the FS78 bests the 81S optically. Whats interesting is both the Vixen and Takahashi optics are made by Canon Optical. He stated the FS78 is built like a tank when compared to the Vixen 81S, So he decided to keep the Vixen as its lighter and better for backpacking to a dark site, and obviouly easier to mount.

I'd love to try a TMB Supermonocentric, but out of my reach currently or even a Tolles eyepiece. I'd love to try a ball singlet, I have to idea to make my own. With the advent of 3D printers, I was thinking to teach myself how to use the programming software required for programming 3D printers, and then printing the correct sized plastic ball singlet holder, and placing it into a cheap chrome 1.25" barrel.

Thankfully I am making my own GoTo mount so using Supermono's or ball singlets wont be an issue.

Brandon 8mm, 12mm - Edmund Optics RKE 8mm, 15mm - Takahashi MC Ortho 5mm, 7mm - Pentax Ortho 6mm - Carl Zeiss Jena Ortho 10mm - Carl Zeiss Jena Huygens 16mm, 25mm. 

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Dave1 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:10 pm I'd love to try a ball singlet, I have to idea to make my own. With the advent of 3D printers, I was thinking to teach myself how to use the programming software required for programming 3D printers, and then printing the correct sized plastic ball singlet holder, and placing it into a cheap chrome 1.25" barrel.
I just used vintage Celestron or similar Orthos, took out the Abbe optics, then placed the Ball singlet inside. I had to jury-rig a spacer so when I reassembled it put pressure on the ball. I chose a short FL Ortho where the singlet ball was slightly larger than the top housing opening so the Ball would stay inside.
temp.jpg
The Spheres.jpg
-Bill

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Siebert Optics still sells ball lens as far as I know.
I believe you can still buy the majority of the parts from Edmunds as well.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Edmund BK7 Spheres...
https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/n-bk7-ball-lenses/12436/

Siebert Sphere EPs (too pricey IMO)...
https://siebertoptics.com/Planesphere.html

Note - For all those wanting to venture into the world of singlets, realize that the usable FOV is probably only the central 10 degrees (even at f/8) and generally no field stop will be visible. The rest the image is not usable for anything except for knowing when the target is someplace near. Therefore tracking mounts are needed for the faint of heart. The contrast on-axis is phenomenal though and makes even ZAOs and TMB Supermonocentrics look lacking! I generally like them for Mars when trying to tease out the most difficult of features that would otherwise be missed even with ZAOs and TMB Supermonos.
-Bill

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I agree Bill, the results are excellent but for those who do not like using smaller FOV eyepieces they would not enjoy using these.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Dave1
Earth Ambassador

Post by Dave1 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:14 am Siebert Optics still sells ball lens as far as I know.
I believe you can still buy the majority of the parts from Edmunds as well.
I'll probably try and make my own ball eyepiece. According to Sieberts website, they are only taking extended orders at the moment.

First project to complete is making my mount GoTo.

Tom yates Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Tom yates »

Beautiful scopes I had the TOE 150 but let it go and kept my f9 Astro physics 152 another stunning scope