anyone with Takahashi disease here?

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: anyone with Takahashi disease here?

Post by sdbodin »

I'm surprised that no one here has the TAK-106 variant. Thought that this was a common affliction. No known vaccine either.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Starship9
Earth Ambassador

Post by Starship9 »

In 2016 I purchased a Takahashi FC100-DL. One of the last of the 1st run ones available in the UK.

It has been a delightful scope to use. Very light and easy to mount and a fast cool down time. Here on the Giro Ercole mount:
takercole00.JPG
I'm a visual observer based in the South West of England.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I have a friend that just bought a used TOA150. He's eagerly awaiting its arrival now.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

AstroBee wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:07 am I have a friend that just bought a used TOA150. He's eagerly awaiting its arrival now.
a 150 WOW .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

AstroBee wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:07 am I have a friend that just bought a used TOA150. He's eagerly awaiting its arrival now.
It would be nice if he joined the forum and do a first light report.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I am surrounded by Takahashi optics. The people I do most of my observing with all own one or more Takahashi OTA's.

I have two friends with Takahashi TOA150 refractors. One of those also has a Mewlon 300. I have been advising and mentoring another as he entered astronomy. He wanted to buy a 2nd hand FOA60 to which I put a rapid stop. I have finderscopes with better optics. For less than the sellers price of the FOA60, I pointed him to a Mewlon 180C that was about $200 cheaper. He is very happy with that, much happier than he would have been with the FOA60.

The TOA150 refractors are very fine instruments.
Either of my friends TOA 150 refractors would make an excellent finder scope for my 18 inch reflector. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can read a comparison report between one of the TOA150's and my 6" Newtonian reflector here
https://joe-cali.com/astronomy/articles ... ctors.html

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
mtminnesota
Earth Ambassador

Post by mtminnesota »

I'm afflicted and addicted.
Bowlerhat
Earth Ambassador

Post by Bowlerhat »

It's called Takitis.

The TS65mm triplet has been on my list for a long time, but I ended up eventually with a Goto 65mm instead.
I remember first time going to Tokyo, seeing unboxing of a new FS60Q..beautiful scope. Just can't compared to here, lineups of white tubes.

I settled down with an FC60NZ though. Taks just have that solid build quality, and really. If I have chance I would like to get an older TS just to compare since they have not changed things for years!

Cats: Lomo mini mak, Acuter Maksy 60, Celestron C5 XLT
Refractors: Tak FC60NZ, Vixen custom 60/910, Vixen FL102s, Vixen Ozuma, Zeiss Telementor II, , Goto Kogaku 65mm, Nippon Kogaku 65mm, etc
Gallery: https://www.cloudynights.com/gallery/al ... ic-scopes/
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

OzEclipse wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:27 am
You can read a comparison report between one of the TOA150's and my 6" Newtonian reflector here

Joe
Nice comparison Joe!
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

Not sure its disease. I use a TSA-120 & FC100DL. Both excellent, for the best nights only.
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
mtminnesota
Earth Ambassador

Post by mtminnesota »

A FOA-60 has bad optics?

OzEclipse wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:27 am I am surrounded by Takahashi optics. The people I do most of my observing with all own one or more Takahashi OTA's.

I have two friends with Takahashi TOA150 refractors. One of those also has a Mewlon 300. I have been advising and mentoring another as he entered astronomy. He wanted to buy a 2nd hand FOA60 to which I put a rapid stop. I have finderscopes with better optics. For less than the sellers price of the FOA60, I pointed him to a Mewlon 180C that was about $200 cheaper. He is very happy with that, much happier than he would have been with the FOA60.

The TOA150 refractors are very fine instruments.
Either of my friends TOA 150 refractors would make an excellent finder scope for my 18 inch reflector. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Amazing instrument. I don't know anyone who has one (yet). If I ever upgrade from a 6" Achro to an APO I will seriously consider a Tak.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

mtminnesota wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:44 pm A FOA-60 has bad optics?
The FOA-60 example we looked through was not bad. It is the only FOA we've looked through so we don't know if it was a bad example or typical of the FOA-60 but it was no better, probably worse, than a small cheap Chinese ED and not as good as a Takahashi 11x70mm finderscope that was on site.

However another friend of mine in Brisbane has the FS-60 and it has beautiful optics. I would make the point that although a 60mm refractor is very portable, it is very limited in both light grasp and resolution. People often wrongly judge the "quality" of small refractors by the fact that they can see perfect diffraction rings around stars. This is because the diffraction rings from a small aperture are very big and therefore more prominent than in bigger instruments. Spending a bundle on a small refractor does not a larger aperture make. Applications are very limited. You can look at the Moon, a handful of brighter clusters. Visible detail on planets is very limited.

If you can go for a bigger aperture then do. Most importantly, decide what you want to do with your telescope, where your interests lie, and buy a telescope suited to those interests.

Here is a table of light grasp, relative to a 60mm aperture.
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 8.46.15 am.png
Cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
mtminnesota
Earth Ambassador

Post by mtminnesota »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:54 pm
mtminnesota wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:44 pm A FOA-60 has bad optics?
The FOA-60 example we looked through was not bad. It is the only FOA we've looked through so we don't know if it was a bad example or typical of the FOA-60 but it was no better, probably worse, than a small cheap Chinese ED and not as good as a Takahashi 11x70mm finderscope that was on site.

However another friend of mine in Brisbane has the FS-60 and it has beautiful optics. I would make the point that although a 60mm refractor is very portable, it is very limited in both light grasp and resolution. People often wrongly judge the "quality" of small refractors by the fact that they can see perfect diffraction rings around stars. This is because the diffraction rings from a small aperture are very big and therefore more prominent than in bigger instruments. Spending a bundle on a small refractor does not a larger aperture make. Applications are very limited. You can look at the Moon, a handful of brighter clusters. Visible detail on planets is very limited.

If you can go for a bigger aperture then do. Most importantly, decide what you want to do with your telescope, where your interests lie, and buy a telescope suited to those interests.

Here is a table of light grasp, relative to a 60mm aperture.

Cheers

Joe
OK, thanks.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I'm not infected, although that 180 Mewlon is calling me.

I have seen the results of this disease, a club member drives a 26 year old Chevy Malibu.
When he opens the trunk it is filled with Taks and high end AP gear 😆
His wife gave him a choice, new car or Taks...
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

Jones wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:58 am I am in love with Takahashi TOE eyepieces as they are as good as any eyepieces ever made, take that Zeiss.
I'm fine with China made dash 53 triples, got 3 of em.
My Sky-Watchers are great, but I got the fluorite bug a few years back & looked into makes. Tak FCs are Steinheil design, the precious fluoride element is at back, so I bought a FC100DL, wanting long FL so I can use longer FL eyepieces with more eye relief. Later I also bought a TSA-120 triplet.

My Tak accessories, are their excellent extenders; the Q1.6x & ED1.5x for my FC & TSA respectively. They fit straight after the focuser and are invisible in use optically. Also a Tak eyepiece turret, a beautifully made and functional piece of kit.
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
Dave1
Earth Ambassador

Post by Dave1 »

Well this turned up today, could be the first sign of Takitis. My first Apochromatic telescope Takahashi FS78. 8-)
Attachments
IMG_20220107_201356.jpg
Skylight 60mm F16.7 - Takahashi FS78 F8.

Brandon 8mm, 12mm - Edmund Optics RKE 8mm, 15mm - Takahashi MC Ortho 5mm, 7mm - Pentax Ortho 6mm - Carl Zeiss Jena Ortho 10mm - Carl Zeiss Jena Huygens 16mm, 25mm. 

Baader Zeiss 2" prism diagonal - Parks 1.25" prism diagonal.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Happy viewing!
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Dave1 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 pm Well this turned up today, could be the first sign of Takitis. My first Apochromatic telescope Takahashi FS78. 8-)
very nice and portable scope , clear sky's , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Enjoy the views!
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people