Classic? Vintage?

Discuss your oldie but goodie telescopes here.
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Classic? Vintage?

Post by mcolbert »

I'm a little hazy of the whole vintage or classic idea. :). So, to begin with what do we call classic and or vintage?

What might be some of the factors?
Age / Time
Manufacturer
Type of glass or mirror blank
Person who made the instrument or parts of it
Retailer
Purpose

The last is because I have what I consider a crystal clear instrument, the lens must be all of 10mm in diameter but made for sighting the 105 mm gun for a Leopard I. It seriously outperforms other optics I have. So there it is, where do we start? :)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
chicagorandy United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: Classic? Vintage?

Post by chicagorandy »

If it were a car the 'usual definitions are - Classics are vehicles over 20 years old. Antique cars are over 45 years old, and vintage cars are built between 1919 and 1930.

Optics for a battle tank I reckon are :

1. Militaria
2. Mighty SWEET!

I think that makes ME an antique - sure feels like it anyway -lol
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The older I get, the better I was.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

sometimes I get the impression that 'classic' instruments are a product more of nostalgia rather than specific qualities. ;)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Rainmaker
Moon Ambassador

Post by Rainmaker »

I think the term classic needs to refer to more than age. To me a 'Classic' is something that stood out above its contemporaries for its design and quality and is still revered many years later.
Automotive classics are things like the original BMW M1 and M3 or the Mercedes Gull Wing.

In our hobby classics to me are some of the Zeiss refractors (not the school ones but the specials).
Other scopes I consider classics are the early Nikon, Pentax and Takahashi. Quester and TEC Mak offerings also.
Matt in Oz
Rainmaker “Excalibur” 18” F3.5 +SIPS @ 1860mm
TMB-LZOS 152mm F7.9 @ 1200mm
Takahashi FOA 60mm F8.8
Takahashi FC76DC F7.5
Skylight AR101.15
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I would agree with Rainmaker (Matt) about the Classics. I would vote that for "Vintage", any of the scopes made during the "Golden Age", mid 60's to late 70's. This age came about because of the massive increase in interest for all things "outer space" caused by the "Space Race". To me, scopes in this category include Cave Astrola, Old Meade reflectors, and Orange Tube Celestron's. I'm sure you all can think of more for this category.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador

Post by Kingofthehill »

As far as I'm concerned only wine should ever be considered "vintage".
Paul
Main telescope used is Obsession 18UC
Cut my teeth on Orion 10" Dob
AR152 and Orion ST80 sit mostly unused
Lots of binoculars
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

so, can we have a consensus here and perhaps eventually place a sticky outlining what is which, for the people on this forum?
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

Can anything 20th century (1/1/1901 to 31/12/2000 inclusive), be considered as either?
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

A good source is the Stellafane website, at their annual conference they have an antique telescope restoration competition, for instance in 2021 there were two on this page, https://stellafane.org/convention/2021/2021-scopes.html . Check the other years too. Also the RTMC conference archives will have many examples.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

My understanding from some pretty experienced, long time astronomers, from other respected sites, was that the consensus was a scope over 25 years old was recognized as a ' classic '. Department store non performers not included !