The Unitron 9 inch, a visit.

Discuss your oldie but goodie telescopes here.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

The Unitron 9 inch, a visit.

Post by John Baars »

In 2018 I visited the University of Delft, Netherlands, the place where the largest known Unitron in the world was restored. Six miles from where I live. Dave Komar (@Unitron48 ) of TSS already had contact with the professor / owner and brought me in contact with him. The largest Unitron of the world is well described on Dave's website: https://www.unitronhistory.com/ Search for Features---> Unitron model 900.

I made a report of my visit and posted it exclusively on Astronomyforum. Everybody knows what happened to that forum and the report was lost. I deliberately did not post it on the Dutch Forum, the owner did not like too much publicity in Holland. I respected that. Since TSS is more or less an heir in spirit of the intellectual legacy of Astronomyforum, where the quest started, I decided to post it here again.

Hereby the text and some of the pictures I made.

" Last friday 03-23-2018 I had the opportunity to visit the one and only 9 inch Unitron Polarex telescope in the world.

Thanks to Dave Komar, who pointed me out the whereabouts of this giant telescope (several miles from my hometown!) , I was able to contact the owner. The owner tells us through Dave about the amazing rescue from the scrapyard and demolition on Dave's site: https://www.unitronhistory.com/user-sto ... model-900/ See much more pictures there too!

Quite a remarkable and readable story. The owner told me that the rescue was no sinecure, since the telescope parts were separately found in several old buildings, partly covered under blankets or a thick layer of dust. The scope had never seen assembling. Almost unrecognizable, he didn't even know if some parts belonged to it or not. The caretaker of the square half a mile terrain couldn't help him either. And all that under the blazing heat of the Japanese sun. Luckely he was there.... expecting to find a five incher, hoping for maybe even a six inch instrument, and found this...
All old buildings of the old factory have been removed by now.

Restoration and assembling of the 00-1989 marked giant took place at Technical University Delft, and being in the hands of the professor (owner) is all you want if you are a telescope that wants to be restored. Like many private owners of very big Polarex telescopes, the professor likes to keep low profile, so I didn't know if he had time for me as a simple amateur-astronomer/ tourist. Being a visual observer with a preference for refractors and living "around the corner" helped a lot.

So there I was. The professor picked me up at the university's parking lot and after passing some security doors I saw the giant in the large assembly hall.
I was amazed. "What a monster", I mumbled.
DSC02594 - kopie.JPG

The professor told me that the straps of the lifting crane are for his own and my security.The mount is not bolted to the floor... In the base lie 881 lbs of lead in small portions, for low gravity point reasons.
DSC02588 - kopie (640x404).jpg
The lead in the base.

It took the owner quite some time of cleaning, polishing and puzzling to refit all parts. There was no manual and the majority of the parts were not assembled. One very very big puzzle! His search through the old Unitron terrain must have been very thorough, because no noteworthy parts had to be made. The 55 lbs lens is in the UK, where he lives nowadays (good thinking), and he has planned a 20 feet dome. "First thing I am going to do when I have the telescope operational in the UK, is to take a chair, sit in the dome beside it and enjoy the beauty of it", he trusted me. I think I would do the same after many years of restoration.

The more than 160 lbs telescope operates very smoothly, nothing could be heard as I slewed it a few degrees around. The only way I could tell was by looking at the red control light and the rotating crown-axis that drives the worm. What a difference to my own GPDX mount! Worm and worm-wheel are extremely fine and have many more fine teeth than my own. I forgot to ask how many...sorry. The lens is replaced by dummy-weights to keep him balanced. Lens is waiting for its tube in the UK!

DSC02595 - kopie (640x426).jpg

Four brass rods secure locking and fine tuning RA an Dec axles. Driving train of RA axis is seen here.

This is me actually operating the telescope. It is a very simple handheld controller really. "forward", "reverse", "stop" and an old fashioned counter with a small wheel to regulate the speed. That's all. Look at the size of it all. I am 6 feet tall.
DSC02608 - kopie (640x424).jpg
Nice posing. Looks like I am switching there something with my left hand.There is nothing to be switched over there I am afraid:-)...little joke of the professor and me.

Put two enthusiastic amateur-astronomers together and a half an hour photo session becomes a two and half hour visit in which we talked about observing planets, Unitrons Polarex, other equipment. He even showed me several researches he and his students are working on.
DSC02600 - kopie (640x426).jpg

Within months this Unitron will find its new home in the United Kingdom. As a planetary-fan the owner will use this mastodon frequently. I'm glad he will. I wish him many happy observing years in the future. And many thanks for allowing this visit.

Special thanks to Dave Komar who put me on the right track, thanks Dave! "

John Baars,
March 2018
DSC02587 - kopie (402x640).jpg
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Unitron 9 inch, a visit.

Post by messier 111 »

thank you for sharing, it is a superb telescope.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Beautiful scope! Thanks for reposting the report John.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Thank you for posting this again John, I get to enjoy it again :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Excellent report, John. I enjoyed reading it and seeing the photos. I was a member at AF, but somehow missed this report there, so I am glad you decided to present it here. What a beautiful telescope, a true work of art.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That is a great read John. I wasn't an AF member (well only for 5 minutes until the Bladekeeper led me over here!) so it's the first time I have seen it. Nice photo of you "pushing a button"! The telescope is a fine looking instrument.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Thanks for this John! Has it been reunited with its lens? It sounds like it will be well worth a trip to the UK for you (post COVID!) to see it in action.

All the best,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Beautiful scope and great write-up John. I'm glad Dave tipped you off on the existence of this telescope.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

There's a local Unitron collector in my area who has a 6 inch pier mounted Unitron in his back sunroom ( working model but on display only) and that is huge, I reckon the 9 inch must be impressive in person.
Ivan
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

DeanD wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:17 pm (...) Has it been reunited with its lens? It sounds like it will be well worth a trip to the UK for you (post COVID!) to see it in action.

All the best,

Dean
To tell you the truth, I don't really know. The tube and mount were supposed to be sent to the UK in spring/summer of 2018.
Today I emailed the owner with your question. I am not sure to get an answer, for I only have the mailadres of his work at the Technical University. He was close to retiring as far as I know. Since my own retirement only four months ago, I no longer receive emails from work, it's that fast ...
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

A wonderful instrument! Great story - great pictures.

Thanks!
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi John. Dave and I shared a lot of thread posts on the old AF forum years ago about the Unitron refractors, including old Sky & Telescope advertisements. However, I missed your original report of the giant 9" instrument and never knew that it existed. So thanks for re-posting your report and the great photos here on TSS John, and the best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

DeanD wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:17 pm (...)Has it been reunited with its lens?(...)
Dean
I have had contact with the owner. Yes, they are reunited in the UK. Building the observatory is slowed down by environmental problems.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Great post John !
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

John Baars wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:38 am
DeanD wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:17 pm (...)Has it been reunited with its lens?(...)
Dean
I have had contact with the owner. Yes, they are reunited in the UK. Building the observatory is slowed down by environmental problems.
Sounds like a post-COVID trip is definitely in order...
If I ever get to visit my son in the UK again, I'll have to see if I can check it out too! :observer: :observatory:
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Great read John!

A very fine instrument and would make a really nice vacation trip!

Thanks for posting/re-posting!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Alpena67
Earth Ambassador

Post by Alpena67 »

Wow, what an absolute work of art and science. I wish Unitron was making refractors again. My first refractor was a small 50mm Focal my parents got me for Christmas in 1976. A few years later I found a small telescope shop near me(Polaris Telescopes in Dearborn, Mi) that sold Unitrons. He had 75 and 100mm Unitrons on the floor but I didn't have the money to buy one then. I visited there a few times just to see them in person. I love seeing these scopes restored; no matter how often I see them they just possess a majestic stature that is not only beautiful to look at but beckons you to turn it skyward. Thanks for posting the article!
My Optical Obsession:
Jason 313 60mm Equatorial refractor
Sears 4454 80mm Equatorial refractor
Sears 6339 76mm Equatorial refractor
Celestron VX6 152mm Equatorial refractor
Celestron C90 “Orange tube” spotting scope
Celestron C5 "Orange tube" Schmidt-Cassegrain
Celestron C8 “Orange tube” Schmidt-Cassegrain
Celestron C11 “Orange tube” Schmidt-Cassegrain
Criterion/Bausch&Lomb 4000
Criterion Dynamax 8 Schmidt-Cassegrain
Meade 8” 2080 Schmidt-Cassegrain
Meade 10” 2120 Schmidt-Cassegrain
Meade 12” LX90 Schmidt-Cassegrain
Jason 35mm 7-15X Binoculars; Celestron 25x100mm Binoculars; Nikon D7200 digital camera
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Just received this update from Alex Boot on the 9 inch Unitron, Model 900:

"Last week we had a lot of severe storms here in the UK, especially in the south (speeds up to 200km/hr), we have/had a lot of large trees in the garden but now half of them just snapped, causing damage to the roof of the house and the dome for the scope just blown away into bits and pieces of aluminum an polyester, not useable anymore BUT fortunately there was nothing installed inside, I did plan the put the scope next month. It’s all a matter of insurance now but already ordered a new dome in Germany."

Sadly, it Looks like it will be sometime before the scope is up and running.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Luckily the telescope was not in the dome! At least this rare refractor is still safe.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Just received the latest from Alex (Model 900 caretaker):

"Hi Dave,
So another year later, no progress at all here. Damaged dome due of the flood last winter has not been replaced: lack of chips, lack of stepper motors for turning the dome, lack of materials, all due to the problems in the east part of Europe. I think I have to build it myself but rough building materials (like wood) have been tripled this year, apart from the energy bill which is now sky-high. Light pollution in the neighborhood has increased 25% past year, I cannot see the Milkyway anymore. Not even the smallest scope has been in the yard past year! I hope You have a better time over there….."

I'll keep providing updates, but doesn't appear the Model 900 will be up and running anytime soon!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein