Satellite Spotting

Discuss binoculars.
Max Nomad United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Satellite Spotting

Post by Max Nomad »

Greetings, all,

Anyone else here into satellite spotting? On any given night I'll grab the binos (10x50) and sit outside for awhile using the Heaven's Above app to find what is crossing the sky and seeing if I can spot it.

One of the things I was hoping I'd get better at is recognizing constellations (Bortle scale 8) and finding my way around the sky. I'm practicing using my hand to gauge altitude degrees... My results are pretty hit or miss, usually averaging one or two satellites in a session.

Any tips from the seasoned sky vets would be greatly appreciated.
SKYWARE: "BANNEKER" (Orion XT8 Classic w/ 9x50 RACI), "SOJOURNER" (Celestron NexStar 90 GT), "HARRIET" (Celestron Travel Scope 70), "THE NIKES" (Nikon WP 10x50 ATB), "SPOTTER" (8x56 Celestron Skymaster DX), "HAWK" (9x60 Oberwerk LW) and "GOGGLES" (2.3x42 Kasai Wide Field). EPs: (1.25") Plossl 6mm, 8 to 24 Zoom, 25mm, 32mm, 2X Barlow, 3X Barlow. SOFTWARE: Android (Camera FV-5, Daff Moon, Sky Map, SkyPortal, Heavens Above), Linux (Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium, BOINC SETI), Windows (Celestia, Starry Night 7, TheSkyX, TUBA, Adobe CS5)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Satellite Spotting

Post by helicon »

I haven't tried it yet. Usually I see several satellites/space junk transiting the eyepiece each eve. But I imagine a search with binos intentionally trying to spot them would yield greater results.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

There is so much stuff in orbit it's almost inevitable to see something fly by when you look up. The trick is to know what is zooming by. Many objects go by fast before I can open my Sky Guide app to identify. The app, however, has a useful satellite mode that shows you what's flying nearby. I imagine other apps like Sky Safari have similar capability.
THP

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Telescopes: Refractor: Celestron DX 102AZ SSE f6.5; Newtonians: Z8 f5.9; Jason Comet 480t (ret.)
Eye Pieces: Meade 5.5 mm, ES 8.8 mm/82, Agena SG 12 mm, ES16 mm/68 & 24mm/68, Z30mm WF, Celestron 32 mm Pl.
Binoculars: Olympus DPS I 10x50
Backyard Light Pollution: Orange Bortle 4-5
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

If you enjoy it then get an app on your phone most will cost you a few buck to know where they are I only look for the ISP with my Binos
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I have used "heavens above" for years to identify satellites. It's a fun way to view them!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

I have my Amateur radio license and have talked through a few satellites. I use AMSAT Droid and Sky Safari on my phone plus GPredict and Stellarium on my laptop. There are a few other apps out there as well. The AMSAT app and Gpredict will let you know when the nest several passes are, max elevation, direction for AOS and LOS and both will show the path the satellite takes across the sky for your position. Just have to fiddle around with them a bit to get used to the settings.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozman »

It's a rare thing to use the 2.3x40s for more than a few minutes without seeing a satellite. Frequently (very frequently) I will see two or more satellites at the same time in the field of view. I have seen as many as 5 simultaneously in the field.
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
Earth Ambassador

Post by Max Nomad »

Ozman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:02 pm It's a rare thing to use the 2.3x40s for more than a few minutes without seeing a satellite. Frequently (very frequently) I will see two or more satellites at the same time in the field of view. I have seen as many as 5 simultaneously in the field.
Ozman, this seals the deal: my next binos will be a 2.3x40. During a typical month my telescope-to-binoculars usage ratio is about 1:12+. Like stargazing, satellite spotting has become a different kind of meditation for me. Might even get two binos -- one to keep stashed in the Jeep.

I'd already started some preliminary research looking at the Vixen and Kasai brands. Somewhere I also saw some kind of visor-like headgear to provide hands-free use. Any tips or advice on what to buy to get the most out of them would be greatly appreciated; thanks!
SKYWARE: "BANNEKER" (Orion XT8 Classic w/ 9x50 RACI), "SOJOURNER" (Celestron NexStar 90 GT), "HARRIET" (Celestron Travel Scope 70), "THE NIKES" (Nikon WP 10x50 ATB), "SPOTTER" (8x56 Celestron Skymaster DX), "HAWK" (9x60 Oberwerk LW) and "GOGGLES" (2.3x42 Kasai Wide Field). EPs: (1.25") Plossl 6mm, 8 to 24 Zoom, 25mm, 32mm, 2X Barlow, 3X Barlow. SOFTWARE: Android (Camera FV-5, Daff Moon, Sky Map, SkyPortal, Heavens Above), Linux (Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium, BOINC SETI), Windows (Celestia, Starry Night 7, TheSkyX, TUBA, Adobe CS5)
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozman »

When I got my set, I also got the mask for hands free viewing. I sent the mask back. It is good in theory, and if they truly designed it correctly, it would be nice to have. But the binoculars have to set at a particular angle to your eyes to view anything through them, you can't look through them slightly off axis. It is extremely easy to do this while holding them with your hands, but the mask just doesn't work. You can adjust how far up or down, right or left, and inward or outward the binoculars sit before your eyes, but you can not adjust the tilt and that is a deal breaker.

At the time, the adapters for 2" filters before the objective was not available, so I have no experience with that. I have to use mine as is. The addition of the filters is very interesting to me, but I am a little dubious about how well it would work. I have only a few 2" filters and none that I would use for this, so I would have to also invest in a pair of 2" filters along with a new set of binoculars with the adapters, don't see that happening at least any time soon. But if I were going to buy the binoculars, I would get the adapter and plan on getting the filters for it. Filters certainly make a big difference in my big 25x100s, I'm just not sure how well it will work with these binoculars, but I would be willing to spend a little to try it out.

I can understand that wide field viewing like this is not for everyone, but I can say that everyone that has looked through my set have been totally amazed and really got into the view.
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

WOW!
I was just checking out that Heaven's Above website. I should be able to put that to some use and have some fun with it. I just added it to my favorites. :)
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Its hard not to be a little interested in these things that pass through your line of sight. For me it brings back memories of standing in the backyard with my mum, she always looked for them through the large haze of tobacco smoke above us ... Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Actually, viewing and logging satellites was the prerequisite to astronomy for me. I used the SkyGuide app and logged hundreds before I bought my first scope (Nexstar 130SLT). Now, I see them every observing session and scared that Skynet will mess up my new hobby of AP before I get good at it!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Earth Ambassador

Post by Max Nomad »

seer wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:43 pm WOW!
I was just checking out that Heaven's Above website. I should be able to put that to some use and have some fun with it. I just added it to my favorites. :)
If you like that you should also check out the Heavens Above phone app (Android). For satellite spotting on the go the Live Sky Chart alone is worth it!