Celestron 20x80 Binoculars Ordered and Questions

Discuss binoculars.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Celestron 20x80 Binoculars Ordered and Questions

Post by Refractordude »

My Zhumell 20x80 are broken. The left side eyepiece fell out. I can put the eyepiece back in, but focusing is extremely difficult. Some times I can not focus them at all. They have a two year warranty so I contacted Zhumell, and got Celestron on the phone. Looks like Celestron now owns what is left of Zhumell. Was told to ship them to California with a $15 check, and the repair team will send me another pair. Besides paying $15 bucks to Celestron and cost of shipping. I will have to wait until the end of the Coronavirus shutdown order before delivery. Due to my heavy addiction to the night sky, I can not wait that long. So I ordered the Celestron 20x80 binoculars.

I once owned the Celestron 20x80 binoculars for a short time. Day time light seemed to have a kinda yellow tint. However, while observing M78 I noticed the nebula brighter than when observing with my 120mm f/8 telescope. At the time the mount I was using was not sufficient, and I decided on a pair of 25x100 binoculars with a parallelogram mount. I purchased the parallelogram mount, but did not like any of the 25x100 binoculars I tested/could afford. Luckily Amazon and Walmart paid for the return shipping of the 25x100 binoculars. Thus, I ended up with the Zhumells, which were great until recently. When the Zhumells arrive I will sell them. The Celestron Skymasters should arrive before April 30th.

What has been your experience with the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binoculars? Have you compared them to other binoculars, your telescope, mechanical issues, etc? Thanks to you all. Right click the images.
Attachments
image 2.PNG
image 1.PNG
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Celestron 20x80 Binoculars Ordered and Questions

Post by Bigzmey »

I believe the main issue with SkyMasters is lack of collimation upon delivery.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:08 pm I believe the main issue with SkyMasters is lack of collimation upon delivery.
Hopefully I will get a good pair.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:51 pm My Zhumell 20x80 are broken. The left side eyepiece fell out. I can put the eyepiece back in, but focusing is extremely difficult. Some times I can not focus them at all. They have a two year warranty so I contacted Zhumell, and got Celestron on the phone. Looks like Celestron now owns what is left of Zhumell. Was told to ship them to California with a $15 check, and the repair team will send me another pair. Besides paying $15 bucks to Celestron and cost of shipping. I will have to wait until the end of the Coronavirus shutdown order before delivery. Due to my heavy addiction to the night sky, I can not wait that long. So I ordered the Celestron 20x80 binoculars.

I once owned the Celestron 20x80 binoculars for a short time. Day time light seemed to have a kinda yellow tint. However, while observing M78 I noticed the nebula brighter than when observing with my 120mm f/8 telescope. At the time the mount I was using was not sufficient, and I decided on a pair of 25x100 binoculars with a parallelogram mount. I purchased the parallelogram mount, but did not like any of the 25x100 binoculars I tested/could afford. Luckily Amazon and Walmart paid for the return shipping of the 25x100 binoculars. Thus, I ended up with the Zhumells, which were great until recently. When the Zhumells arrive I will sell them. The Celestron Skymasters should arrive before April 30th.

What has been your experience with the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binoculars? Have you compared them to other binoculars, your telescope, mechanical issues, etc? Thanks to you all. Right click the images.
Congrats on the new binos, RD ! :D
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

The 15x70s are notorious for bad collimation out of the box, but I don't know about the 20x80s. If you get a good pair though, the price is certainly appealing.

If the vendor has a good return policy, and if necessary, you could "lather-rinse-repeat" until you did get a good pair (or your patience wears out).

Good luck and keep us posted.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I found the 15x70's good. I saw the comet in Lepus with them about 5 or 6 years ago (can't recall exactly). Last year I got a pair of Oberwerk 25x100's which have been great. If you can afford to make the upgrade they are worth it. However, you can get the SkyMasters for around $70 including shipping, so they are highly economical and still probably worth it given the cost.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

I have decided against buying the Skymaster 20x80. Hopefully the Zhumells will be sent to me before my next dark site trip. I was thinking about the Orion 16x80 ed binoculars. Has anyone looked/peek through these Orion ed binoculars?

https://www.telescope.com/Orion-GiantVi ... 130268.uts
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

I haven't looked through them unfortunately, but if you are going to that spend level, what about the Oberwerk deluxe series? 20x80: https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwerk-2 ... eluxe-iii/
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

DeanD wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:24 am I haven't looked through them unfortunately, but if you are going to that spend level, what about the Oberwerk deluxe series? 20x80: https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwerk-2 ... eluxe-iii/
I was thinking about the Deluxe 20x80. However, decided that my first high end binoculars will have to have individual focus. I like the APM MS 20x100 binoculars maybe. Just have to research the best USA vendor. Should have them or a 6" aperture refractor telescope before the end of June.

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/binocu ... 0x100.html
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

The Skymasters came collimated. They are just as good as the Zhumells with better eye relief. My only beef is the center focus knob is kinda stiff. That could change with continued use. If not these Skymasters will be useless in the winter. I will be sending them back to Sam's Club, which has a great return policy. Hopefully the Zhumells will arrive before the end of May. Since I committed the money for the Skymasters to my astronomy hobby. I will use the refund to purchase a tripod and mount for my 7x50 binoculars.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the new binos RD! You should work the focuser for a few minutes, it should redistribute the lubricant and make the focuser less stiff.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

The cost of sending the Zhumells back is close to $50. Half the price of the binoculars. If they send me another pair that is not functional, it will cost me another $50. I feel Celestron that now owns Zhumell should have sent me a return label. Instead Celestron wants me to mail them back with a $14.95 check/money order payable to Celestron. That is why I like Walmart, Amazon, and now Sam's club. All three pay for return shipping. For half the cost of shipping the Zhumells back to Celestron, I could have gotten a two year warranty. I may buy a Celestron product again, but it will be bought from Walmart, Amazon, or Sam's Club with a warranty. Still deciding what I am going to do.
Attachments
image 1.PNG
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I got my Skymasters from Amazon for $70. It was a good investment as I still use them. And fortunately they arrived collimated.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N