Discuss binoculars.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Mods for my 8x30 Habicht's

Post by DeanD »

Hi all,

Sadly I have had to cancel all my upcoming gigs (I run a portable planetarium which I take to schools all around my home state), so I have a bit more (unpaid) time on my hands than normal. I took the opportunity to have a play with "modifying" my Swarovski Habicht 8x30 binoculars.

These punch well above their weight as they offer fantastic sharp and contrasty views with excellent colour correction. (I provided a review in our previous and sadly defunct forum.) However, their one real failing is that they can show internal reflections when pointed near a bright light source. So I thought I would try to minimise this by adding some winged eye-cups and some home-made dew-shield type extensions. The eyecups I bought on-line from here: http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop ... u-B003.htm This is one of the few US manufacturers that offer reasonably cheap overseas shipping!

The extensions are made from pvc water-pipe joiners (costing about $2 from my local hardware store) lined with sticky-backed felt ($3 for a metre roll). They are a press-fit, so don't damage anything and can be pulled off instantly. I finished them with a coat of spray paint. I only had gloss unfortunately: I think satin finish would be a nicer match, but I didn't see the point of buying another spray can.

These mods actually work, and reduce many of the annoying reflections considerably. And they look OK, so I don't have to put up with my lovely wife laughing at me! I would recommend trying something similar if you are having problems with any binos. The winged eyecups are particularly good in the daytime when the sun is shining on the side of your face: no more squinting or trying to shade your eyes from the sun.

Hahicht mod1.jpg
Hahicht mod2.jpg
All the best, and keep safe in these crazy times!

- Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mods for my 8x30 Habicht's

Post by John Baars »

Well done Dean.
Yes, almost all Wide Angle binoculars suffer more or less from sensitivity to ambient light. As usual with technical solutions, quality must come from length or width. In this case widefield with sensitivity to ambient light versus narrow field with insensitivity to ambient light.

I agree on the excellence of the Habichts. I have a 7X42 myself. It is odd that top-porro-binoculars are outnumbered on the world-market today; Porro's low cost with top quality versus Roof's top quality at high cost. What fashion prescribes seems to win
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.