Older Bushnell 10X50

Discuss binoculars.
SonnyE
Interdicted
Articles: 0

Older Bushnell 10X50

Post by SonnyE »

I would like to find an adapter so I could month these on my mono-pod, or one of my tripods, for astral views with the Grandkids.

Need something that can grab the center bar, because the caps are aluminum and not todays 1/4 x 20tpi standard.

Trying to use these for grab and go to the Grandkids house.

My searches are not coming up with any viable options. Any suggestions welcome!
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Older Bushnell 10X50

Post by JayTee »

How about this, go get a Swiffer sweeper here's a picture.
Drill two holes through which you can pass a zip tie and zip tie the center bar to the Swiffer sweeper which acts as a perfect monopod for binoculars.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SonnyE
Interdicted

Post by SonnyE »

JayTee wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 am How about this, go get a Swiffer sweeper here's a picture.
>snip<
Drill two holes through which you can pass a zip tie and zip tie the center bar to the Swiffer sweeper which acts as a perfect monopod for binoculars.

Cheers,
JT
LOL! OK, good thought, Jay Tee. But not what I was hoping for.
I'm just trying to avoid the inevitable crap from the wife if I buy something else for astronomy.
The binocular's are actually hers. And being older Bushnell's are pretty good binoc's.
But I don't want to modify them of I can avoid it.
I do appreciate your Swifter mono-pod idea though. I was hoping for something that can clamp onto the center bar.

What I'd like is THIS: https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-M ... 130923.uts.
But not the wrath.

Say, can I put it on your card? :o :dance:

I'd be tickled, and you'd catch the wrath. Perfect!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Another option is to use a lawn chair/chaise lounge and prop up your elbows on the armrests, hold the binoculars to your eyes and enjoy steadier views. I use this for both 10x50's and 15x70's, plus you won't take any grief from the wife!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
SonnyE
Interdicted

Post by SonnyE »

helicon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:45 pm Another option is to use a lawn chair/chaise lounge and prop up your elbows on the armrests, hold the binoculars to your eyes and enjoy steadier views. I use this for both 10x50's and 15x70's, plus you won't take any grief from the wife!
True. But what about an 8 year old, a 6 year old, and a 4 year old?
I'm trying to make a grab and go to their house, or their Ta Ta's for family get together's.

What I really want would get me skinned alive, a Monster Mount. https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-M ... 130923.uts
I'm trying to take a giant step backwards and get visual.

( Ya know, that link thing is not working very well for me.... even if I take the "s" off the http:. Any help?)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

That one is $849. If you google the term you'll get a lot of options for under $150, some cheaper than this...
https://www.google.com/search?q=10x50+b ... e&ie=UTF-8
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

The Orion monster mount is not what I would call grab and go. The binos weigh 10 lbs and the mount itself weights 45. It's a cumbersome shape and size. Once set up, the mount works well, but it's awkward to move and transport. I have a smaller version, and it is a big pain to transport. If you leave it set up at your house, of course, it would be great for you, but the mechanics of actually using a heavy parallelogram mount may not be easy for little kids. In short, I don't think the grandchildren card is as strong as you might hope...

I get how these things might go. You want big binoculars on a heavy-duty mount. Your wife doesn't want you to spend almost a thousand dollars more on astro gear. You suggest how great this would be for the grandkids. Quality time and educational, too. She says, "What's wrong with those nice old Bushnells of mine? Those are perfectly good binoculars. You already have tripods galore; why can't you just get a little adapter or something and use those?"

Now what? I am a proponent of buying the equipment that gives you joy in your favorite hobby, but not if it incurs a lot of credit card debt and/or creates real problems in a marriage. There are WAY cheaper solutions as Michael has pointed out. Let us know how it all works out!
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Burris
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Burris »

SonnyE wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:35 am I would like to find an adapter so I could month these on my mono-pod, or one of my tripods, for astral views with the Grandkids.

Need something that can grab the center bar, because the caps are aluminum and not todays 1/4 x 20tpi standard.

Trying to use these for grab and go to the Grandkids house.

My searches are not coming up with any viable options. Any suggestions welcome!
Have you tried to remove (unscrew) the front center pivot cap? there may be a socket under it. Bill
SonnyE
Interdicted

Post by SonnyE »

Voyageur wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:16 pm The Orion monster mount is not what I would call grab and go. The binos weigh 10 lbs and the mount itself weights 45. It's a cumbersome shape and size. Once set up, the mount works well, but it's awkward to move and transport. I have a smaller version, and it is a big pain to transport. If you leave it set up at your house, of course, it would be great for you, but the mechanics of actually using a heavy parallelogram mount may not be easy for little kids. In short, I don't think the grandchildren card is as strong as you might hope...

I get how these things might go. You want big binoculars on a heavy-duty mount. Your wife doesn't want you to spend almost a thousand dollars more on astro gear. You suggest how great this would be for the grandkids. Quality time and educational, too. She says, "What's wrong with those nice old Bushnells of mine? Those are perfectly good binoculars. You already have tripods galore; why can't you just get a little adapter or something and use those?"

Now what? I am a proponent of buying the equipment that gives you joy in your favorite hobby, but not if it incurs a lot of credit card debt and/or creates real problems in a marriage. There are WAY cheaper solutions as Michael has pointed out. Let us know how it all works out!
Oh, I agree. But the girls would be apt to drop most anything. (6 and 4) It looks like it would be a nice visual tool though. Did you watch the VIDEO on it?
I shoot for the upper end, and usually land somewhere below.
As far as transporting, we have a mini van (I call it our Granny Vanny because it is most always set up with the mandatory car seats.) And I have a truck. So lots of room.
I'm actually more apt to make something like a Parallelogram mount. But I've been messing with my different tripod heads and imagineering today.
LOL! I did bungie and Velcro strap the binoculars onto a spotting scope for a try. And it actually worked! The spotting scope being mounted to a head, and acting as a carrier for the Binoculars. Goofy Grandpa.

The basic problem is, the Binoculars we have are not mounting friendly. From what I've found, many have a removable plug at the hinge, and a standard 1/4 x 20 mount can be attached. These old Bushies have a fine, fine, threaded plug there, about 3/8" in diameter. So the best options are to keep shopping.

I almost think a strap on like the Leopold might be the only viable option. Leopould Binocular mount My problem with them is adjusting them for young eyes.

Or back to the Swiffer... LOL!

Oh, you'd be surprised how much Grandpa gets by with when he buys for the Grandkid's. Each has their own first fishing rods on our pontoon boat. In their favorite colors, and sized to them. They aren't spoiled, but they are loved. ;^)
Grandma teaches them to read and write before they start school, but Grandpa teaches them how to run computers. Because that's the life they are born into.
Kids are really amazing people if you pour yourself into them. There is only so long before they would rather hang with their friends, or gone off to college and the big wide world. The formative years are slipping by.

Clear night here for me. Got to get to setting up.
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Nice post! Wish I had some kids to observe with. My niece and I had so much fun with my microscope when she was little. She may have grown up and gotten married, but we are always going to be good friends. I need to plan a trip to her new home in Ireland.

Yes, one can do a surprising amount with cable ties, bungee cords, Velcro, and of course duct tape for the more permanent applications. I agree that making a setup that is adjustable for different-sized kids is your biggest challenge. Hope to see some photos of whatever you invent!
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
SonnyE
Interdicted

Post by SonnyE »

Burris wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:53 pm

Have you tried to remove (unscrew) the front center pivot cap? there may be a socket under it. Bill
Yessir. Just another hole under it that a 1/4 x 20 bolt drops into.
I've got everything I could want, except the missing link.
Fiddle stix!

I'll figure something out. I like solving problems.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

If the center pivot has a 1/4 20 thread socket, have you looked at one of these adapters?
https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Binocular-t ... 365e06aae6

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SonnyE
Interdicted

Post by SonnyE »

JayTee wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:15 am If the center pivot has a 1/4 20 thread socket, have you looked at one of these adapters?
https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Binocular-t ... 365e06aae6

Cheers,
JT
Um, no. The old boogers do not have any provisions for mounting them. So I was wondering if anyone had seen anything that could clamp on the center rod thingy.
Oh, how I wish it were so simple as a 1/4 x 20 threaded hole!
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

JayTee wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 am How about this, go get a Swiffer sweeper here's a picture.

Cheers,
JT
That's such a great idea, that I'm going to try it! I have one of those, and could use a new Swiffer anyway.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Hi Sonny,
What about one of the "universal tripod adapters"? Like this one:

- of course, Swarovski do one too, but it is about 10x the price... https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/ ... r-p5504085
- or Zeiss: https://www.adorama.com/zsbuta.html !!!!

Good luck,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

PS: here is another one that might be even easier to set up:
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
SonnyE
Interdicted

Post by SonnyE »

Thank You, Dean.
I do think that is the direction I'm going to have to go.