DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Rolex Binoculars

Post by DeanD »

Hi Folks,

Happy Christmas to all!

I thought I would show you an item I was given for Christmas by my son and his girlfriend who just arrived to visit from the UK. This is a pair of Rolex "event glasses", which are I believe given to clients who attend the Rolex box at Wimbledon. Completely out of my league, and the binos are not obtainable for purchase unless you can find one on an auction site...

They appear to be 3x22 and Galilean design. The daytime image (I haven't used them at night yet) is around 7-8 degree TFOV, and they are very sharp across the whole field with virtually no field curvature or CA. They don't have internal blackening which is a pity but they do have a very effective baffle.

So, my first (and only) "Rolex", and kind of cool.

All the best,

Dean
Attachments
Rolex binos.jpg
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Rolex Binoculars

Post by NGC 1365 »

Nice score Dean.
Ivan
Ivan
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

DeanD wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:07 am Hi Folks,

Happy Christmas to all!

I thought I would show you an item I was given for Christmas by my son and his girlfriend who just arrived to visit from the UK. This is a pair of Rolex "event glasses", which are I believe given to clients who attend the Rolex box at Wimbledon. Completely out of my league, and the binos are not obtainable for purchase unless you can find one on an auction site...

They appear to be 3x22 and Galilean design. The daytime image (I haven't used them at night yet) is around 7-8 degree TFOV, and they are very sharp across the whole field with virtually no field curvature or CA. They don't have internal blackening which is a pity but they do have a very effective baffle.

All the best,

Dean
Hello Dean,

my most sincere congratulations on your Rolex!
I don't care much about the Rolex watches, but I would love to have the Rolex opera glasses,
https://www.catawiki.com/l/15548337-rol ... -2000-2010

Feeling together happy with you, that these Rolex glasses are in good hands of yours,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds like a nice gift. I don't own a Rolex watch at the moment and probably never will.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Sky United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

You need to get a strap so you can wear them on your wrist!

I'm assuming you didn't notice a "Made in China" stamp anywhere on the bins.

Very cool binoculars and a very thoughtful Christmas gift. Congratulations!
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Sky wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:08 pm You need to get a strap so you can wear them on your wrist!

I'm assuming you didn't notice a "Made in China" stamp anywhere on the bins.

Very cool binoculars and a very thoughtful Christmas gift. Congratulations!
Funny enough there are no "China" stamps: the only marking is the "Rolex" crown. ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

j.gardavsky wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:54 pm
DeanD wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:07 am Hi Folks,

Happy Christmas to all!

All the best,

Dean
Hello Dean,

my most sincere congratulations on your Rolex!
I don't care much about the Rolex watches, but I would love to have the Rolex opera glasses,
https://www.catawiki.com/l/15548337-rol ... -2000-2010

Feeling together happy with you, that these Rolex glasses are in good hands of yours,
JG
Thanks JG: these seem to be identical design to the opera glasses, but brushed stainless steel instead of the green lacquer of the opera glasses. (Maybe to better suit the sweaty hands in the Wimbledon box!).

Not another item for the sock drawer? ;) :whistle: