Difference in Oberwerk 20x80's

Discuss binoculars.
Doug James Canada
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Difference in Oberwerk 20x80's

Post by Doug James »

Just how much of a difference is there between the 20x80mm Oberwerk for 199.00, and the Deluxe 20x80mm for $349.00? If there both 20x80 there shouldn't be much difference in the view I'm thinking.
That's one big jump in cost!
Celestron Omni XLT 120 Refractor, Orion XT8 Classic Dobsonian - Telrad finder - Sirius Plossl 1.25" eyepieces 40mm,25mm,17mm,
Shorty 2x Barlow lens, Orion Stratus 8mm,13mm,21mm, Baader 36mm, Meade 6.5mm,
Binoculars, Nikon 10x50, Oberwerk 20x80 LW binos
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Difference in Oberwerk 20x80's

Post by pakarinen »

I've been told the Deluxe are more robust, better construction, better optics, better coatings => better views.

Can't rightly say though as I'm still debating getting LW 15x70s or saving more dollars for DX's. Or forgetting them and buying a baby Mak. :eek:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Doug James Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Doug James »

I got that as well and hopefully someone will have viewed with both of them. I have the Nikon Action EX 10x50 now and find then a good choice but
would like something with more power.
Celestron Omni XLT 120 Refractor, Orion XT8 Classic Dobsonian - Telrad finder - Sirius Plossl 1.25" eyepieces 40mm,25mm,17mm,
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Doug,

and what about the 20x80ED for less money than the Obies,
https://www.telescope.com/Orion-GiantVi ... 130269.uts

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Doug James Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Doug James »

Well, JG I like the price,and there saying the right things to me in there information,but are they as good. Do you have anymore information on them? Maybe
you have have a chance to view with them.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Doug James wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:43 pm Well, JG I like the price,and there saying the right things to me in there information,but are they as good. Do you have anymore information on them? Maybe
you have have a chance to view with them.
Hello Doug,

I have never had them in my hands.
What I am getting from the internet, is the increasing number of the ED big binoculars, looking like a new wave on the market. APM in Germany is trying to make big money on the "ED", TeleskopService has thrown on the market the 23x110 ED, which may be of a potential interest for myself. At least, they don't call it an APO

Open is the question what they understand under the ED glass, like FPL51, or is it anything better? What about just a short flint KZFS or its generic from China, it's also low dispersion, and a wide spaced Baker doublet works on the 15x85 BA8 binoculars I have, https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... oured.html

This one from APM has a fast ED doublet, but it is certainly not APO,
https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/apm-hi ... bile=false
you can't trick an APO from a doublet faster than F/5, leica needs 4 lenses objective + a field flattener at rear, it takes 6 lenses in total to make an 82mm F/5.5 APO, ha, ha.

Long rant short, I would wait some time and look what will be up on the markets,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Mandrew
Moon Ambassador

Post by Mandrew »

I have the 17x70 Deluxe. The quality is indeed higher on the Deluxe series. Gas purged, better quality cases and lens covers, extra attention to collimation, heavier duty armoring and better moisture protection. The optics are the best I've used in a non-ED setting. They are well worth the extra expense.
Devout bino lover and Lunaholic! Scopes - Celestron RASA 8, Orion 180mm Mak-Cass, 6"f8 dob, ST80. binos - Orion 7x50, Oberwerk 8x56 LW, Oberwerk 10x50 Deluxe, 15x70 Deluxe, Oberwerk 100mm ED Binocular telescope.