KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

RDF on big binos?

Post by KathyNS »

I have a red-dot finder that is more or less surplus to my C-8. I have been thinking of mounting it on my Celestron 20x80 binos. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions of where or how?

I am thinking that the best place would be on the central rail. Perhaps mounting the base of the RDF onto a block of wood or something, and then mounting that to the rail with pipe clamps?

DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
EAGLE 5

Re: RDF on big binos?

Post by EAGLE 5 »

The RDF should fit on a piece of 1/2"x3/4" aluminum strip available at Canadian Tire in 48" lengths. That would get you started if you wanted a all-metal construction. The strip could be attached to the center rails with a couple of stand-offs and screws.

A 3/4" piece of wood as you mentioned, would work well too. A hole the same diameter as the silver pipe could be drilled first, then cut off the bottom part of the hole leaving an arc shape. Drill two more smaller holes up higher and 90 degrees to that, for accommodating zip-ties to attach it to the silver pipe. The RDF can just clamp on to the top of the 3/4" wide piece of wood.

Another option is if you know someone local with a 3D printer and rudimentary drawing skills, it would be an easy part to make. If you can draw the part yourself in software, but lack a printer, then just have it printed online and sent to you.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

I used this Celestron tripod adapter. However, I could never align it with the binoculars. I would aim at an objects location and drop down about two inches. But it works, just attach it to the central rail/balance bar.
Attachments
red dot finder.PNG
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Me, I'm cheap. I would use the central metal bar and duct tape.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Thanks for all the ideas.

There's another mod I want to make to these binos that I realized will simplify mounting an RDF.

That stupid knurled knob that connects the vertical tripod mounting post to the centre rail is a pain in the butt. There is no reason for that connection to be adjustable. The binos are always tilting on the tripod, which is annoying. And there is only one position along the rail that achieves a balance.

So, I think I am going to use some JB Weld metal epoxy to glue the post permanently to the rail in the correct position. Then, I won't need that big knob. I can use the flat top of the tripod post and the tapped hole in it to mount a standoff for the RDF.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Sounds like you have a plan, but I'm a big fan of nylon cable ties - either for semi-permanent mounting or to do a removable mock-up before I start cutting and drilling stuff.

If the weight is low and I want to be able to pull the item off quickly, I use 3M Command Strips or whatever they're called. YMMV.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I may end up going with the cable ties or something similar after all. I realized that it is good to be able to adjust the balance point when aiming the binos upwards. So the knob will remain, and I can't use the back portion of the centre rail. The RDF will have to attach to the front half of the rail.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I have found that duct tape is a better adherent than cable ties on a round surface like that metal bar. Yes, it is ugly and "trashy" looking, but it works!

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Like what RD mentioned, but without the tripod adapter, is the Bino Brac from Astronomy-Shoppe. The downside is that its nearly twice the price of the Celestron offering at $60. As for the cheaper DIY path, that seems to have been covered already. :)

http://astronomy-shoppe.com/?page_id=192
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Somebody over on CN just wrote about a ballhead thingy with a clamp attached. Of course, I can't remember the brand because I bought something similar a few months ago for a Sironek bino mount (which I still haven't attempted to build). Duh.

Anyway, they're on Amazon. Clamp the thingy to the central bar, mount an RDF or monocular on the ballhead and Bob's your uncle. Or, "Boom! Dey it is" if you prefer.

Ok, found it. The brand is Smallrig, but one of these might work better:

https://www.amazon.com/CAMVATE-Super-Cl ... 000&sr=8-2
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

@Kathy - Please do post details once you get something rigged up. Useful info if I ever go big.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

pakarinen wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:03 pm @Kathy - Please do post details once you get something rigged up. Useful info if I ever go big.
Oh, for sure! I wouldn't leave you all hanging. At this moment, I am leaning towards the Celestron solution, rather than a DIY version.
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

There are also some 3D printable designs on Thingiverse like

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3310755
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.