Steiner 10x50 Police

Discuss binoculars.
Rogan
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Steiner 10x50 Police

Post by Rogan »

Steiner is arguably the Rodney Dangerfield of the binocular world: no respect. That said, I am an admitted Steiner junkie. Military & Marine, Safari, Firebird, a whole host of porros. My two pair of roofs, an AZ842 and an XC serve me extremely well. The one that I keep coming back to is the Police 10x50.

Not that it matters, but it is just plain cool. It’s built like a tank and not the “throw away” that became part of the Steiner reputation. At 5.7 degrees the FOV is plenty wide and the optics are really crisp. Despite the naysayers the auto focus does work but not as well as my 6x30 Military & Marine. The only downside, like many Steiners is that light scattering can be an issue as well as veiling. I have found that it can be controlled.

For birding and plane spotting they are wonderful despite the FOV not being larger. When not using auto focus the independent focus is a bit more labor but becomes second nature.

Where the Police really shines is in astro use. Set the focus to infinity and you are good to go. Like my Hendsolt Wetzlars the stars are pinpoint crisp, startlingly so. They do get a bit heavy but worth the effort.

My pair were picked up on eBay for a song. Collimation is spot on (as I have found Steiners to invariably be) and the optics clear and mar free. The finish has wear but I actually like that. This style Steiner always looks used.

Overall, very highly recommended especially if the right specimen is bought used.
Attachments
6C8A7BB4-80F4-456A-85DA-E038347925BE.jpeg
Rogan
Earth Ambassador

Re: Steiner 10x50 Police

Post by Rogan »

Another gem from Steiner, the 6x30 Military built in 1989. They really shine in lower light on a cloudy day like today. The resolution is such that I don’t feel under-gunned at 6x not to mention the 8.2 degree field of view. The sport auto focus gets a bad wrap as being a lot hype but it’s obvious that Steiner builds a huge depth of field into their optics that far, far exceeds the norm. Lower magnifications seems to maximize the focus’ utility and 6x is a real sweet spot. Hensoldt Wetzlar gets really close at 8x.
Attachments
D5FB1C50-5F46-4A78-ABD3-67813FB9DF0B.jpeg
Rogan
Earth Ambassador

Re: Steiner 10x50 Police

Post by Rogan »

These have turned out to be true gems, 2008 10x50 Police. Razor sharp, good edge resolution, and a 6.2 degree FOV that gives a big picture window view. Possibly my favorite bino for astro.
Attachments
B5B57CC7-5EC3-4AD0-A27E-3F21430E9341.jpeg