Birthday Binos

Discuss binoculars.
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Birthday Binos

Post by Ozman »

Yeah, it's my birthday today and the Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED was sitting here waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. You know new equipment always arrives with a fresh new abundance of clouds.

But NO!! Hey, it's my :HB: and once again (it happened this way last year too, not with the acquisition but at least with the clearing skies) the cloud cover had rolled away and I was actually seeing these almost forgotten tiny pinpoints of light up there. OMG I'm really going to be able to go out there and possibly SEE SOMETHING!!

So I'm out the door with the new toy, the 25x100s, 8x56s, and the 2.3x40s to the dark site. With a 3/4 moon and HEAVY humidity (HEAVY!!) the transparency is quite poor, so I know this is not really going to be a head to head between the 82XL-ED and the 25x100s, that will come later. And with the conditions the way they were, I probably could have done just about as well from my driveway in town as I did at the dark site. But it has been too long (way, WAY too d@#! LONG) since I've been, not to mention the open clear horizons and the silent serenity.

First, I have to say the scope and the tripod looks NICE! It's pretty. The alt/az motion of the pan head is SMOOTH. And of course it's such a chore to set up, so time consuming, put the tripod on the ground, slide the quick connector plate attached to the bottom of the scope into the receiver in the pan head and start observing. It doesn't get any simpler or quicker.

First EPs in were the supplied Oberwerk 14mm. Focused the right, focused the left, set the inter-pupil distance (very smooth!) and instantly the dual images merged. I was pointing at a random direction in the Milky Way in the vicinity of Cassiopeia and first beheld a rich star field. Absolutely beautiful!! :thumb:

I panned around the general area for a while enjoying the very sharp pinpoints scattered throughout forming different patterns and sometimes tighter little clusters. Everything was sharp and colorful.

Now over to Jupiter. With the 14mm I've got about 32x, so Jupiter is small, but it's sharp and I can see the two major bands. I can also see a little light scatter and occasionally some hints of CA but overall the view is quite pleasing. It's also time to give a look at the other EP sets I have.

The WO 20mm 66s that came with my binoviewer are next up and these performed really well. The field really opened up and the view was much wider (more than I expected) than the supplied 14mm which are supposed to be 70 degree. These were sharp across almost the entire field with only a small degree of aberration at the very edge. These EPs are small and very light and I can see will be used quite a bit in the future.

The ES 11mm 82s provided a little more magnification (41x) on Jupiter and provided a somewhat better view, still not enough for any detailed view but it was sharp and the hints of CA I saw with the 14mm was absent. Perhaps if I get a match for my ES 6.7mm 82 it will be enough magnification for more details, but I'm not sure just yet if I'm going that way. The ES EPs are a little heavy and when using the 11mms I had to really tighten down the altitude clutch on the pan head. I didn't have to do this with the much lighter WO 20mms or the OB 14mms.

The Meade 25mm HD60s would not come to focus in the scope because of insufficient inward focus travel, so that's a bust with those EPs. That's a shame because I really like these EPs in my binoviewer.

My real surprise, and another reason I'm reconsidering buying duplicates of some ES EPs, were a set of Meade 4000 26mm plossls. These performed exceedingly well in place of the 25mm HD60s. They only have a 50 degree field of view, but it was still pretty wide (I should have measured it against the WO 20mm 66s) and sharp across the whole field. They will for sure be used my next time out and I will not discount them. They have got me thinking about possibly a matched set of Orthos for higher power, and who knows, maybe for some lower power too.

There was also another issue besides the weight of the ES 82s that is giving me pause. You can't really look off axis through the scope and I can't really see the whole field in the 82s without tilting a little and looking around, this was causing a little blackout when I was using the ES 11mm 82s. I had to hold my head just so to get a view and if I tried to see toward the edge away from the center, it would blackout. My first thought was maybe some ES 62s, but now I'm thinking MAYBE some nice Orthos instead.

The supplied 14mms are good and I see that I will get a lot of use from them, just wish they were threaded for filters. The WO 20mm 66s are definite keepers and I may look to try to get other focal lengths of this one because I was REALLY impressed with it's performance. The ES EPs are questionable made even more so by the performance given by the Meade plossl. I know I'll need something in the 6-7mm range and possibly replace the ES 11mms with something lighter and not as wide in the 10-11mm range.

I did do a little comparison against the 25x100s, not like what I intend to do when conditions permit, but just as a measure of light grasp in adverse conditions. I used two targets of comparison and the only galaxies that I looked at during the evening. First of the two was the Whirlpool Galaxy. I found it with the 25x100s quickly, it was only a faint smudge washed out by the moon with no discernible detail, but easily seen with direct vision. I was using the WO 20mm in the 82XL-ED to closest approximate the magnification and exit pupil of the 25x100s. It was much harder to locate as I had to use averted vision to see the galaxy. I put in the 14mm and I could barely make it out with direct vision and it became even more pronounced when using the 11mm, so the added magnification was definitely helping at least in that situation.

Second target of comparison was the Andromeda Galaxy. This one didn't show nearly as much difference in the view as the other one did. I saw no detail with either instrument, just the glowing core fading out quickly to the edges. But when the time comes, a showdown is on the way.

Overall it was a good evening just to be able to get out and enjoy the skies. The new scope is nice and the views it provided were as good as expected. I mean you can't really go wrong with an ED refractor for each eye now can you.
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Birthday Binos

Post by Gordon »

Happy Birthday and congrats on the new Binos!

:HB:
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Congratulations on your birthday!

Nice present and a first light, can't really ask for more!
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Congrats and happy B-day Oz !

This is exciting !
The bit of compare to the 25X100 you mention is interesting.
I will be looking forward to more of your comments on that score.
I have lusted after these BT's for a while and it is fun that you have them, Oz !
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

OK, so you did get them; ignore my message on you Birthday thread...:lol: Forest for the trees. Nice report, though too bad about some of the eyepieces :( I'm no expert by any means, but I really do like my Fujiyama Ortho's, especially the 18 and 12.5mm. Just sayin...;)
And Oz, if I may quote your last sentence:
Ozman wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:23 pmI mean you can't really go wrong with an ED refractor for each eye now can you.
Well said :P and you got me thinking....

All the best and hope you get some clear skies,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Yay for everything. Your birthday, your new binos, and an observable night.

Cheers and many happy returns,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I am completely lost. First you talk about your new binos then a scope, and my attention span is just not long enough. I think the previous respondents express the same. Can you translate in plain language how your new binos worked out? Sorry hut I am lost. You talk about bino viewers, eyepieces but I thought this was about your new binos? Help me please.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Its great that you still get presents on your birthday.. happy birthday ! Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozman »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:03 pm I am completely lost. First you talk about your new binos then a scope, and my attention span is just not long enough. I think the previous respondents express the same. Can you translate in plain language how your new binos worked out? Sorry hut I am lost. You talk about bino viewers, eyepieces but I thought this was about your new binos? Help me please.
When I say scope, I'm saying binocular telescope. I took no telescope other than the binocular telescope along with three pairs of binoculars. It's all about the binocular telescope and nothing else. No binoviewer was used, although I do refer to the WO 20mm EPs that came with a binoviewer that I have.
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Lol, ok. What do you mean with binocular telescope? AFAIK those are 2 Newts tied together with a complicated collimation mechanism. I thought you got a pair of binos not a binocular telescope. Or are we just playing word games. Are you referring to binos with exchangeable eyepieces?
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozman »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:12 am Lol, ok. What do you mean with binocular telescope? AFAIK those are 2 Newts tied together with a complicated collimation mechanism. I thought you got a pair of binos not a binocular telescope. Or are we just playing word games. Are you referring to binos with exchangeable eyepieces?
As per the opening sentence in my post, the Oberwerk BT (binocular telescope) 82XL-ED. Yes a binocular telescope consisting of two ED refractors that use interchangeable eyepieces. No word games and no intention of misleading. I thought it was pretty obvious.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Sounds amazing, Oz! I enjoyed the first light report! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice report Oz!

Can’t ask for a better birthday!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

New toy and clear sky to test it - great birthday present! Congrats Oz!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great that you got to try out the new piece of gear and moreover it was successful Oz!

Yesterday was a very busy day for me so I was too tired to haul out the scopes. I did however manage to grab the Whirlpool in 15x70's from my back deck, which marks the first time I've seen it from home in the binos, so I consider that a minor victory.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N