20 x 80 binoculars

Discuss binoculars.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 20 x 80 binoculars

Post by pakarinen »

I had to peel off part of the rubber grips to collimate mine; that won't be appreciated if you try to return them. Dunno, maybe I just hamfisted it and peeling wasn't necessary.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Many folks are tired of Celestron's poor QC and quite honestly one shouldn't have to go through the process of ordering, trying, returning, rinse and repeat. Celestron does not seem to be inclined to improve that deficiency either.

If you are wanting to work within a certain budget, I would consider the Oberwerks as you mentioned. They are decent quality with good customer support and reasonably priced. I have a pair of Garrett 20x80 LW binoculars which are basically the same as the Oberwerks, who actually bought Garrett out. They are very good and more economical. Do they compare head to head with some of the better (more expensive) brands? Of course they are not going to be as sharp nor as well controlled for aberrations. But many of us get by with slightly less expensive equipment that gives us 90 to 95% of the performance of the higher priced gear and think nothing of it.

As for mounting, I am a big advocate of mounting binoculars, even 10x50s. I will qualify that to state that for taking quick cursory looks at brighter objects one can get by with hand holding even larger binoculars. This provides flexibility to move about the sky quickly. But if you wish to do more substantive observing where you can ferret out more detail or even pick up dimmer objects, then mounting is the way to go.

Good luck with whatever way you go Eric, I am certain you will see a noticeable improvement moving from 10x50 to 20x80 (or even 15x70). :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:16 am Many folks are tired of Celestron's poor QC and quite honestly one shouldn't have to go through the process of ordering, trying, returning, rinse and repeat. Celestron does not seem to be inclined to improve that deficiency either.

If you are wanting to work within a certain budget, I would consider the Oberwerks as you mentioned. They are decent quality with good customer support and reasonably priced. I have a pair of Garrett 20x80 LW binoculars which are basically the same as the Oberwerks, who actually bought Garrett out. They are very good and more economical. Do they compare head to head with some of the better (more expensive) brands? Of course they are not going to be as sharp nor as well controlled for aberrations. But many of us get by with slightly less expensive equipment that gives us 90 to 95% of the performance of the higher priced gear and think nothing of it.

As for mounting, I am a big advocate of mounting binoculars, even 10x50s. I will qualify that to state that for taking quick cursory looks at brighter objects one can get by with hand holding even larger binoculars. This provides flexibility to move about the sky quickly. But if you wish to do more substantive observing where you can ferret out more detail or even pick up dimmer objects, then mounting is the way to go.

Good luck with whatever way you go Eric, I am certain you will see a noticeable improvement moving from 10x50 to 20x80 (or even 15x70). :)
Thanks, Alan. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some great tips.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:16 am I am certain you will see a noticeable improvement moving from 10x50 to 20x80 (or even 15x70). :)
Subjectively, I can say that I found the difference between 15x70s and my 10x50s to be huge. YMMV.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

pakarinen wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:58 pm
kt4hx wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:16 am I am certain you will see a noticeable improvement moving from 10x50 to 20x80 (or even 15x70). :)
Subjectively, I can say that I found the difference between 15x70s and my 10x50s to be huge. YMMV.
Not sure why the YMMV - I think we agree. That said, to get the most out of the improvement, I do recommend mounting them as much as is convenient.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
DozerBolt
Earth Ambassador

Post by DozerBolt »

Greetings,
What I find unusual and non-intuitive is that, almost without exception, really serious (read: huge) astronomy binoculars all hover around a 4mm exit pupil! Conventional wisdom is to shoot for a 7mm exit pupil, like 7x50 - but all/most big bins - 15x70, 20x80, 25x100 - all aim for a much smaller exit pupil.

Even given that, as one ages, the eye aperture shrinks to less than 7mm and the fact that really large astronomy bins are expensive and fall closer to an "elder wallet" profile, a 4mm exit pupil is historically the venue of birding binoculars!

I'm guessing there is something about the ease of eye placement for a 4mm exit pupil - but frankly, in thinking about it, I'm still surprised. I would guess that its would be closer to a 5mm or above exit pupil. Only a 10x50 seems closer to conventional wisdom. Thoughts?
DozerBolt from Northern California
Odyssey 8" Dob, Dynamax 6" Cat, Orion Shortube 90mm, Restored Tasco 9F 60mm, Meade EclipseView 82mm tabletop;
Orion 9x63 Little Giant AK roofs, Orion Ultra 2x54 Galilleans, Vortex Crossfire HD 12x50 roofs, Nikon Owl II 7x50, Atlas Eagle Owl 10x50 Porros;
Swift Audubon 8.5x44 804b(2), 10x42 Orion Otter ED SP Roofs, more;
"My other telescopes are Hubble and Spitzer"
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

DozerBolt wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:20 pm Greetings,
What I find unusual and non-intuitive is that, almost without exception, really serious (read: huge) astronomy binoculars all hover around a 4mm exit pupil! Conventional wisdom is to shoot for a 7mm exit pupil, like 7x50 - but all/most big bins - 15x70, 20x80, 25x100 - all aim for a much smaller exit pupil.

Even given that, as one ages, the eye aperture shrinks to less than 7mm and the fact that really large astronomy bins are expensive and fall closer to an "elder wallet" profile, a 4mm exit pupil is historically the venue of birding binoculars!

I'm guessing there is something about the ease of eye placement for a 4mm exit pupil - but frankly, in thinking about it, I'm still surprised. I would guess that its would be closer to a 5mm or above exit pupil. Only a 10x50 seems closer to conventional wisdom. Thoughts?

Thanks, DozerBolt. I don't know much about exit pupil info, so I will certainly take your word for it. Several people here come to mind that do, are J.Gardavsky, Bigzmey, Lady Fraktor, and many others. I am 58, not far from 59. My eyes are in great shape considering. So I think 20x80 will work fine for me, even if I have to get use to the shorter exit pupil measurement. Sounds like I would have to not use the rubber eye cups, that's all.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

So I have been looking for Oberwerk 20x80 binos, but a lot of links I go to say they are out of stock. Does anyone know where I can go to get the pair that is NOT the Deluxe III, which is waaaayyyy too expensive?

Update: I see that Oberwerk will have the LW model 20x80 available soon, but I would have to preorder. I may have to wait until October anyway. I'm determined though. :)
~Eric
Mandrew
Moon Ambassador

Post by Mandrew »

I prefer my Oberwerk 15x70 to other 20x80s. The FOV is a bit bigger,brighter. And more satisfying.
Devout bino lover and Lunaholic! Scopes - Celestron RASA 8, Orion 180mm Mak-Cass, 6"f8 dob, ST80. binos - Orion 7x50, Oberwerk 8x56 LW, Oberwerk 10x50 Deluxe, 15x70 Deluxe, Oberwerk 100mm ED Binocular telescope.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I have the Obie 25x100''s - you definitely need a sturdy mount, I have a parallelogram.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N