I want new binoculars and I'm not sure what I need

Discuss binoculars.
rocdoc
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

I want new binoculars and I'm not sure what I need

Post by rocdoc »

Bear with me, this post may not be as stupid as the title suggests.
I find myself gravitating more towards bino astronomy lately, due to tight schedules and need for mobility to hide from lights in tight suburbia. I have a Celestron SkyMaster DX 8x56. I enjoy it. But I wonder if the quality is not the best, because I keep seeing some obvious lines in bright objects that shouldn't be there - it's not my eyes, it doesn't happen in other instruments. The other thing I find myself wanting is an instrument I could hold steady more efficiently. I do OK, but I still get a lot of movement. On the other hand, larger magnification would also be nice, IF I can find a way to steady them better (talking about hand held, I know I can mount them of course). I mostly find myself in bad skies, so the 7mm exit pupil on my current bino is likely a waste. I also want center focus, because I want to use them for terrestrial viewing in addition to astro.
So, what is one to search for? I am partial to Oberwerks because of the thorough QC and the idea that Kevin checks each of them. Do I try something with smaller lenses to see if that makes it easier to hold steady? What has everyone's experience been? Some folks say that lenses 50 and lower and lighter instruments are easier, some say the opposite, that the weight helps steady things. If I go in that direction, would trying the roof bino Oberwerk sells (Sport ED, in 8x42 or 10x42) make sense? Or would the roof design and much lower aperture result in a significant step down for astro use? (these appear to be phase corrected and well reviewed)
Sorry if this is a bit rambley. Any advice?
Thanks
Properly collimated cornea-lens-vitreous optical apparatus, projecting on retinal sensor slightly limited by deuteranomaly, feeding through stock optic nerves into functional primary cortex, processed through frequently misfiring and buggy integrative cortex.
Other instruments: Skyline 8" Dobsonian, on a dob pod; Celestron Omni XLT 120 w GSO crayford focuser and Meade 5000 diagonal on Stellarvue M2C mount and Meade LX70 tripod; Oberwerk Binos: 25x100 Deluxe IF on Benro tripod with Oberwerk 5000 head or Farpoint parallelogram; 10x50 Ultra, usually on 3 Legged Thing Punks Trent monopod with Dolica trigger grip head; 8x42 Sport ED hand held. Main EPs: ES 82º 24mm and 11mm, Celestron Luminos 19mm and 10mm, Meade UWA 14mm, Meade HD-60 6.5mm. Filters: UHC, 13%, blue. Finders: RACI, Telrad, RDF, reticle.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I want new binoculars and I'm not sure what I need

Post by pakarinen »

- Sears 7x35s - old, junk, and discarded a year or more ago.
- Opticron 8x25s - small, light, sharp, nice in dark skies but only ok in heavy LP. Rather small image size compared to 10x and 15x. Easy to hold steady.
- US Navy 7x50s - sharp, heavy, probably could survive a direct hit from a Panzerschreck, individual focus - nice since I wear glasses and my prescription changes
- Nikon Aculon 10x50s - probably the best of my lot for astro. Decent quality, reasonably priced. Not too heavy, but a tripod is almost a necessity after holding them awhile. Dark skies knocked my socks off with these.
- Celestron Skymaster 15x70s - I wanted to love these, but I could never collimate them properly. Really pulled in DSOs but many times had to use only one eye which sort of defeats the bino "thing". Oddly, I could handhold these steadier than the 10x50s. Go figure. A tripod made a world of difference for going deep sky.
- Obies have a very good reputation, but the LW line looks identical to Celestrons. One argument against them is that if the C-trons go out of collimation easily or whatever, the LW Obies will also since they're the same product. Perhaps Kevin's attention overcomes that, I don't know.

JMO.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
rocdoc
Moon Ambassador

Post by rocdoc »

Thanks.
After posting this I did some additional soul searching and accepted that there is no magical bino that will accomplish everything. So, starting with what I wanted most - ease of use and portability with reliable quality - I just pulled the trigger on the Sport ED 8x42 from Oberwerk. I'm excited. Next I may want to fill the next gap, a better mounted medium size, which would likely be the 10x50 Ultras from the same source. And round and round we go....
Properly collimated cornea-lens-vitreous optical apparatus, projecting on retinal sensor slightly limited by deuteranomaly, feeding through stock optic nerves into functional primary cortex, processed through frequently misfiring and buggy integrative cortex.
Other instruments: Skyline 8" Dobsonian, on a dob pod; Celestron Omni XLT 120 w GSO crayford focuser and Meade 5000 diagonal on Stellarvue M2C mount and Meade LX70 tripod; Oberwerk Binos: 25x100 Deluxe IF on Benro tripod with Oberwerk 5000 head or Farpoint parallelogram; 10x50 Ultra, usually on 3 Legged Thing Punks Trent monopod with Dolica trigger grip head; 8x42 Sport ED hand held. Main EPs: ES 82º 24mm and 11mm, Celestron Luminos 19mm and 10mm, Meade UWA 14mm, Meade HD-60 6.5mm. Filters: UHC, 13%, blue. Finders: RACI, Telrad, RDF, reticle.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Rocdoc,

I would say that the real fun under the night skies begins with the Porros and with the aperture of 60mm and larger.
On the low costs side, you can't go wrong with some 15x70 Oberwerks.
Another aspect, worth of paying attention to, is the compatibility with the 1.25" nebular filters. This is something you must check first with the vendor, or seller.

Shouldn't you be sure to hold the 15x70 comfortably in your hands, than go straight for the 20x80 on a tripod, or for larger.

Otherwise, don't take the risk to go shopping binoculars to bricks and mortar, you would eventually leave the shop with 2 pairs,
as it once happened to me.

Wishing you the best choice,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)