Making Astronomical Lemonaid From Medical Lemons

Discuss binoculars.
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Making Astronomical Lemonaid From Medical Lemons

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

Back in Feb I suffered a mild stroke. I'm on the mend now and back to work with some limitations. The left periphery of my visual field of both eyes took a pretty firm hit and the most severe limitation is till i pass my next visual field scan I'm not allowed to drive. Currently my wife drives me to work and picks me up. We agreed that one of my other hobbies would have to end - Woodworking. this left me with a garage strewn with powertools that I could no longer use. My wife just doesn't need or deserve another frantic trip to the ER.
I've managed to sell most everything, most of lt to folks at work. So far I managed the purchase of a Far point Universal Binocular Mount (UBM)With FarSight and swing hinge.But I have one more in mind. Once I complete two more small transactions I'll be able to swing an Oberwerk 25x100IF deluxe.

Hows that for squeezing a stroke for something refreshing?

Stay tuned.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
Burris
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: Making Astronomical Lemonaid From Medical Lemons

Post by Burris »

SO sorry about the stroke! Hope you have a good recovery! Bill
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Good to see something good come out of a bad medical episode. Looking forward to full recovery for you - and enjoy the new gear!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

Thanks for the Kind remarks and encouragement. I was emailed yesterdat that the UBM should ship next week I'll do an unboxing/review post when it comes in.

GCG
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very sorry to hear about the stroke. I hope you are making steady progress in your recovery. Getting a pair of 25x100's I'm sure will make you very happy. The best of luck to you!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

I am glad you are on the mend, GCG.
It sounds to me like you are indeed in a good frame of mind to make a fine lemonade!
The Obies will go a long way in that direction.
I am looking forward to reading your first light report on the new glass when you get them. :-)
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

The Universal Binoculr mount is scheduled to ship Tues. 6/25. Te Swing hinge has shipped and is scheduled for delivery Tuesday .

The order is in for the Obie 25x100 IF. Once delivered I'll be saving the Unboxing till after my birthday in Sept. My wife really enjoys birthdays and it'd be a cool present to open.

I have a Picatinny adapter for the hinge shaft just like the one Oberwerk sells. it's coming from China and won't be here till early July. It should be perfect for my finder cluster which consists of a 4-reticle 1X sighthttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BT ... UTF8&psc=1and a Green Laser. https://www.amazon.com/Pinty-Hunting-Ri ... 140&sr=8-2
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

FedEx says the 25x100 IF will be here tomorrow.No word on the mount but the swing hinge came today. And My wife (Wonderful beautiful wife had ordered a zero-G lounger as a surprise.

Once the Binos and the Full mount and the finder adapter arrive I'll be ready to open "The Spanish Moss Leisure Observatory".
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

The 25x100 IF Arrived today. It was packed very well In a double boxthe inner box was rigid foam cusioned from the outer box. The box showed no sign of damage or even wear. The QC certificate that accompanied the instrument had the initials KAB that I only assume belongs to Kevin Busarow which says to me that the instrument received the best quality assurance attention that Oberwerk has to offer.

Cursory inspection revealed no problems either functional or or cosmetic. With one possible exception . I will go into in greater detail in a future topic covering the full unboxing and a more comprehensive review . For now I'll simply say I am very pleased and fully expect to hold that opinion throughout a more detailed checkout.
What I will say is the hinge is tight. some would call it stiff. I may still but I'm going to spend some time working with it in hopes it will free up with use. I intend to contact Kevin tomorrow to briefly discuss it.

With an instrument of this weight I would prefer the error be made in favor of stability that would resist changes to desired setup from otherwise casual handling. This will not happen here. The hinge can be adjusted for a desired IPD and once adjusted I am confident it will stay where it is placed until a deliberate act is made to change it. Since I am confident I may very well be the sole user this shouldn't present a problem, however, it would be difficult to make an adjustment for other users in the field.
The case is sturdy and appears will hold up to real world use .It would have been nice if the Oberwerk Logo was on the case. Obies are quickly becoming more and more desirable. The name is something to be proud of and worthy of being touted. the interior foam is cut to fit. the foam is rigid. The case handle should last as long as the rest of the case and is spring loaded to hold it against the case but extends fully under the weight of the case and the instrument. This has been a complaint I've read against the case for the Orion 25x100.

On a similar note the UBM shipped today and UPS has delivery scheduled for Monday. As stated Earlier the swing hinge had shipped earlier. It arrived yesterday.

More to follow in another topic.

GCG