Which binoculars do you use most for astronomy?

Discuss binoculars.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Which binoculars do you use most for astronomy?

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Thanks for that pakarinen.

I'll wait until I've got as much information as possible first, then I can seriously start looking at particular models of binoculars to go for.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

I have posted this elsewhere and I do not want to stray too far off the main topic, but I use the "observatory" below with binoculars. Got it on sale for $10.
binocular observatory.jpg
binocular observatory.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Well, I've still not yet made a final decision as to which size binoculars to go for :sigh:

I keep changing my mind with every new comment that gets posted here :think:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Many bino users have more than one pair. Some binoholics have a dozen or more. If you buy a good quality pair, you can always sell them later if you want.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

pakarinen wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 pm Many bino users have more than one pair. Some binoholics have a dozen or more. If you buy a good quality pair, you can always sell them later if you want.
That's one solution I suppose Olen :lol:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

[mention]Butterfly Maiden[/mention]
Since you already own a very good 8X32 Leica for daytime use, the most important goal for the second one is astronomy. The 10X50's are very well suited for common astronomical use.
I'd say a good pair of 10X50 lasts a lifetime. ( like my good old Jena). It sure comes outdoor more frequently at night then my bigger ones. No tripod necessary if you don't want it.

A 15X70 is a surplus, a little extra, not a necessity. Sure, a good one shows a bit more deepsky. But If I read well that is not you primary goal. Moreover a 15X70 has more issues, like the necessity of a tripod and a smaller field of view, which makes searching for targets more difficult. You already experienced a economical 15X70 for a short while, and you didn't like it. So, I would'nt start with it.

A good 10X50 is almost a lifetime investment. In future a second pair of astro- binoculars is always possible.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

John Baars wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm @Butterfly Maiden
Since you already own a very good 8X32 Leica for daytime use, the most important goal for the second one is astronomy. The 10X50's are very well suited for common astronomical use.
I'd say a good pair of 10X50 lasts a lifetime. ( like my good old Jena). It sure comes outdoor more frequently at night then my bigger ones. No tripod necessary if you don't want it.

A 15X70 is a surplus, a little extra, not a necessity. Sure, a good one shows a bit more deepsky. But If I read well that is not you primary goal. Moreover a 15X70 has more issues, like the necessity of a tripod and a smaller field of view, which makes searching for targets more difficult. You already experienced a economical 15X70 for a short while, and you didn't like it. So, I would'nt start with it.

A good 10X50 is almost a lifetime investment. In future a second pair of binoculars is always possible.
Thank you John.

I think I am now going to stick with my first inclination which was towards the 10x50s, as your explanation has pretty much tipped the balance towards them :D

Now that I've decided on the size, I can start doing some research on model and price. That will probably be a lot tougher though, but I think the guideline for me will be to get the best I can afford.

I'll probably post a few from my short-list when I get one, just to get some opinions before committing to a purchase.

Of course, in the meantime I would appreciate any suggestions to get me going ;)
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Butterfly maiden:

My 7x50 binoculars are good for a while hand held, but great on a tripod.
Mandrew
Moon Ambassador

Post by Mandrew »

I Just got my Oberwerk 10x50 deluxe. Outstanding!
Devout bino lover and Lunaholic! Scopes - Celestron RASA 8, Orion 180mm Mak-Cass, 6"f8 dob, ST80. binos - Orion 7x50, Oberwerk 8x56 LW, Oberwerk 10x50 Deluxe, 15x70 Deluxe, Oberwerk 100mm ED Binocular telescope.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

After a bit of research, I ended up at our trusted Amazon.co.uk website and reviewed a pair of Olympus binoculars, 10x50 DPS-1.

This is the item - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Binocu ... id=1083928

I wasn't looking to pay an awful lot for them, and these seemed like a good price. All of the reviews were good too.

I ordered them yesterday and they arrived this afternoon.

I've done a basic setup of them from our garden and I'm very impressed with the clarity of the optics.

They're not really heavy either, so should be good for holding by hand to view the sky.

Once I've had chance to do some stargazing with them I'll come back to this thread with a short report.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

[mention]Butterfly Maiden[/mention] Well done!
We look forward to your report of first light!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

I finally got chance to go outside and test my binoculars at the night sky.

The wind had died down quite a bit, but it was still quite tricky to hold them still.

The report won’t be very technical I’m afraid, but I’ll try my best.

I’d set out a plan of where I wanted to start, and to then go from there.

I started at 9.15pm from my back garden, with a perfectly clear dark sky, scanning North, Northeast and Northwest. The easiest starting point was Ursa Minor, and using my Planisphere I tried to identify the stars and constellations around it.

I did struggle a bit trying to form the patterns of the constellations, but that wasn’t due to the performance of the binoculars, but more from my lack of experience in identification.

The square of Pegasus was another recognisable point of reference to extend from. Between Ursa Minor and Pegasus, I think I also worked out Cassiopeia and Andromeda.

There were many others visible but they will take longer to identify.

I didn’t go planet searching on this occasion.

Overall, I am very impressed with the binoculars. Not too heavy to handhold for quite a while, and I can’t fault the quality of the optics. I would definitely recommend them.

In conclusion, not a very thorough report but my main purpose was to test the optics. Learning more about the sky will come in time.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great!
That was a nice and useful first light!
Good you like your binoculars.
You don't have to apologize..we all started like this, even the most experienced ones. We all know how that was.. so welcome to the observers' club!
Thanks for your report!!
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

John Baars wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:34 pm Great!
That was a nice and useful first light!
Good you like your binoculars.
You don't have to apologize..we all started like this, even the most experienced ones. We all know how that was.. so welcome to the observers' club!
Thanks for your report!!
Thank you John :D

I know that most of you here are light-years ahead of me in experience (pun intended), but a lot of the fun is in the learning :)

I may not get the identifications right every time, but I have my starting point now and branch out from there to ID other objects on my viewing sessions.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:07 pm I finally got chance to go outside and test my binoculars at the night sky.

Excellent first time out report!

I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing the constellations so far. Your mind map of them will grow. You already have Ursa Minor to Cassiopeia to the square of Pegasus!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

IIRC, the winter constellations were easier for me to learn than spring and fall. You're doing well.

A little trick is to look for patterns and shapes to help find your way around. For example, if you follow the "arc" of the Big Dipper's (Plough) handle, you'll come to ARCturus in Bootes. Follow it farther and you'll come to Spica in Virgo. (Assuming everything's above the horizon of course.) Enjoy!
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

What a fun evening Vanessa. Being able to figure out some of the constellations is always very enjoyable. As time passes, your familiarity only continues to grow, and your observing experiences will only get better. Keep up the good work.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

helicon wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:54 pm What a fun evening Vanessa. Being able to figure out some of the constellations is always very enjoyable. As time passes, your familiarity only continues to grow, and your observing experiences will only get better. Keep up the good work.
Thank you Michael.

It's a hobby you can do at your own pace, with no rush to achieve results.

My method is to go out when I feel like it and just look around. I haven't set any goals to view a certain number of objects and tick them off as I find them.

A casual observer is what you could call me :D
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
aae0130
Earth Ambassador

Post by aae0130 »

I need to obtain a second pair so I can contemplate this question. :Think: I have a BT-100 but I’m thinking I may want a compact portable pair like the Oberwerk 8x40 Mariner or the 8x42 Sport HD..........that would be for those 20 degree winter nights when I just want to run out in the yard for 5 minutes. (or less :animals-dogrun: )
Binocular Telescope: Oberwerk BT-100XL-SD
Mount: Manfrotto Nitrotech 608 on an Oberwerk TR3
EP pairs: Oberwerk 70 degree flat field 22, 14, 7, and 28mm RKE
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

I recently replaced my old Orion 10x50 binos with a pair of Nikon Action EX 10x50. These have fantastic, clear, high contrast optics. Excellent stellar images with great clarity until you get near the edges, as expected.

I use these for hunting, as well as astronomy, and I highly recommend them.
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse