Which binoculars do you use most for astronomy?

Discuss binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Which binoculars do you use most for astronomy?

Post by John Baars »

A common wisdom is the saying that the best telescope is the one you use most.
I think that goes for binoculars as well.
Over the years I collected several bino's, my wife asked when I would start a museum. Some of them were new and maddening expensive. Others were saved from the garbage-can and made nearly new again. Many of them didn't make it to a permanent place in my cupboard and were sold again or given away. Never made any profit though.

Still, there is one pair I always use. Bought them more than 30 years ago. Manufactured 36 years ago.
An ausJena 10X50W Jenoptem. Not the most expensive. Not the best. Not the clearest, certainly not the most CA free, rather unsharp stars at the edges. Reasonable FOV 7,3 degrees and it still has that typical smell of Zeiss-grease. I love it.
IMAG0596.jpg
Which is your favorite??
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Which binoculars do you use most for astronomy?

Post by Refractordude »

All three of my 7x50, 11x70, and 20x80 binoculars. I like starting an observation with my 7x50 binoculars, and then getting closer with the other two. Sometimes going back to the 7x50 binoculars for a wider view. It depends on what I am looking at. If need be I get very close with my telescope. I am using my binoculars about 65 percent of the time. I really like the 20x80 binoculars on my parallelogram mount. With this mount I can sit down and really relax as I observe an object. Have the other two on a Orion Tritech II tripod, which needed to be reordered.
Attachments
image 1.PNG
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

My most used are Orion Little Giant II 15x70. They were made in early 2000 in Japan. I got them used from Goodwill. They were dirty but the collimation was spot on and optics cleaned out nicely.

They are sharpest out of all binos I have tried and lighter and more compact than modern versions of 15x70.
Orion Little Giant II.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Nikon Aculon 10x50s. I could never get the collimation corrected completely on my 15x70 Skymasters and my Navy-issue WW2 binos are pretty heavy. I bought my wife a pair of 8x25 Opticrons which might become most used since they're small, light, and surprisingly sharp.

Some Oberwerks look very tempting, but I'm not sure I want to spend more $$$ on binos - I have trouble merging images at seemingly random times, so a monocular might be best.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

I have a pair of birders. I'm a happy camper.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Max Nomad United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Max Nomad »

By day I use "THE NIKES", a Nikon WP 10x50 ATB. I'm not much of a bird watcher but there's enough of a variety of birds in the area that I like to admire them from afar. There's a park nearby where some hawks and turkey vultures live. While taking a breaking from the computer screens I'll sit outside and if I'm lucky I'll see these grand birds gliding along as they ride the thermals and search for food.

By night I use "HAWK", a 9x60 Oberwerk LW with Oberwerk's super rugged monopod. Satellite spotting is my typical night time sport, a sort of meditation I engage in to clear my head and make sense of the day. Although the Nikes were also great for this, the Hawk provides a brighter view, allowing me to catch a glimpse of some of the faintest satellites as they pass by on their orbital joy ride.
SKYWARE: "BANNEKER" (Orion XT8 Classic w/ 9x50 RACI), "SOJOURNER" (Celestron NexStar 90 GT), "HARRIET" (Celestron Travel Scope 70), "THE NIKES" (Nikon WP 10x50 ATB), "SPOTTER" (8x56 Celestron Skymaster DX), "HAWK" (9x60 Oberwerk LW) and "GOGGLES" (2.3x42 Kasai Wide Field). EPs: (1.25") Plossl 6mm, 8 to 24 Zoom, 25mm, 32mm, 2X Barlow, 3X Barlow. SOFTWARE: Android (Camera FV-5, Daff Moon, Sky Map, SkyPortal, Heavens Above), Linux (Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium, BOINC SETI), Windows (Celestia, Starry Night 7, TheSkyX, TUBA, Adobe CS5)
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

I like the Omegon 2.1x myself. They let me get wide-field, and correct for my [now slight] distance vision focus, so no glasses required.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I use my 9x63 Orion Mini Giants the most. They are so easy to hold steady, sometimes I will mount them.
I bought them recently and are still made in Japan.
I highly recommend them 😁
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

I have an old pair of 10 by 50 ’Ranger’ not sure of the history of them. I think my dad bought them back in the ’60s or ’70s. I also have a pair of 20 x 50, Russian I think, bought from a junk shop and not my best impulse decision - so the Rangers, take the top spot.
Last edited by Greenman on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Doug James Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Doug James »

I like starting with my Nikon Action EX 10x50 then once close to what I'm looking for then go close with my telescope. I'm finding that the Oberwerk LW don't get out as much as I was expecting they would.
Celestron Omni XLT 120 Refractor, Orion XT8 Classic Dobsonian - Telrad finder - Sirius Plossl 1.25" eyepieces 40mm,25mm,17mm,
Shorty 2x Barlow lens, Orion Stratus 8mm,13mm,21mm, Baader 36mm, Meade 6.5mm,
Binoculars, Nikon 10x50, Oberwerk 20x80 LW binos
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Doug James wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 pm I like starting with my Nikon Action EX 10x50 then once close to what I'm looking for then go close with my telescope. I'm finding that the Oberwerk LW don't get out as much as I was expecting they would.
I also like Nikon Action EX line and prefer them over Oberwerk LW 15x70 I had at one point.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

My Bushnell Falcon 10x50. It is the only pair I have at the moment.

But I will eventually get something like a 20x80, or similar for more ummph. And in addition, a solar binocular, or Baader filter to put over the lenses.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

My most used pair are the 15x70 Skymasters by Celestron. My second most used pair are my 25x100 Oberwerks. Third are my 10x50 Bushnells.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

The only binoculars I currently own are a pair of Leica 8 x 32 (used for bird-watching). By no means adequate for serious sky viewing.

I have tried a pair of Celestron Skymaster 25 x 70 which came with a tripod mount.

Two issues with those:
(1) I couldn't get them to focus sharply. Tried during daylight hours on distant objects, but image was quite fuzzy.
(2) Even if I'd got sharp focus, I think my tripod must not have been very stable because the image would shake quite a bit.

Anyway, I sent them back for a refund.

I'm currently using my Nikon Fieldscope ED82 for observing the sky, which works quite well.

I'm in a state of transition at the moment. I may venture into larger binoculars but with a better quality tripod. I'm not quite sure yet.

I'm interested to see what others are using and recommend.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Eric, I know you've had great success with your 10 x 50 binoculars (well done you), but you mention about possibly upgrading.

Have you got anything in mind or, like me, are you waiting to see what others recommend :think:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:38 pm Eric, I know you've had great success with your 10 x 50 binoculars (well done you), but you mention about possibly upgrading.

Have you got anything in mind or, like me, are you waiting to see what others recommend :think:
The solar binocular idea, I most likely will do as I mentioned. notFritzArgelander gave me a link for a solar binocular. I may instead try Baader solar film, as several others like it, and I believe nFA does as well. Regarding a more powerful pair of binoculars, no single one is on my radar, but Oberwerk makes high quality binoculars. But if I get 20x80, I will certainly need a mount. A good sturdy one. Those suckers will be heavy!

And usually when I want suggestions, I come right out and ask, like when I asked for viewable targets for my current binos. Don't shy away from asking, ok? People will love to help you, but they need to know what you would like to ask. They are very friendly here! Me? It depends if I have eaten recently or had enough sleep. :lol:
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Sky United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

My most used binocular for astronomy ... and I own over a dozen ... is the Vixen Ascot Super Wide 10x (8.5º FOV).

I've been an amateur astronomer for the past 45 years and those "Oh WOW!!!" moments have become few and far between. The first time I used then and picked up the large open cluster Mell 111(Coma Star Cluster) ... I had a wonderful "Oh WOW !!!" moment. These binoculars have supplied me with many more of those unforgettable moments and will continue to do so into the future.
Mel 111.jpg
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

In the first post I mentioned which one I use most. There is , however a very well used second one. Again, not the most expensive one, on the contrary.

I saw this 15X70 while it was used during an outreach by a man, who had as result of a condition light spastic movements. I saw him struggle with it. I offered my 8X56 Horizon with tumble-focusser ( as you already have guessed, a crosseyed secondhand one, but cleaned and well restored) . He was grateful, relieved and fell instantly in love with it. With my binoculars he could actually see things! I saw that his 15X70, although very common, had fairly good optics. The end of the story was that we both went home with another pair of binoculars than we came with. :D Both happy. He still observes with it. It had to be like that.

It is a 15X70 Celestron Skymaster, 1500 grams, 4,4 degrees field of view.
IMG_0526 (449x640).jpg
What I like about it:
- Still a rather nice field of view. 4,4 degrees. ( Smaller of course than the 7,3 degrees of my Jena, but you can't have it all)
- Its weight allows me to sit in a garden-chair, lean back, elbows on the armrests and observe without getting instant arm-muscle-pain. Handheld is
possible while sitting down. Couldn't be more convenient. OK,ok I endure longer with my 1000 gram Jena.
- It reaches to stars of magnitude 9,2 versus 8,8 in my 10X50 in the backyard. Not that one can see it instantly, it takes a tripod.
- Many Messier objects pop up under my light polluted city sky. More than with my 10X50 Jena.
- Although one sometimes hears horror stories about the optics, this one does rather well. ( no false spikes around Vega).

Dislike:
- Not the firmest of all binoculars I had.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

At the moment, I am mostly using the 15x85 and 10.5x70 binoculars, both of them BA8 series from Kunming Optical in China.
For the wide field, I take the discontinued Docter Nobilem Porro 8x56.

My other binoculars, Leica, Swarovski, etc., are for the daylight viewing,

JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

For hand-holding, and from dark skies, for the past 20 years I have been continually pleased with this 10x50 model:
IMGP4947 - Copy (2).JPG

From my suburban backyard, these 10x50s have been doing nicely for a similar timeframe:
IMGP5521 - Copy.JPG
IMGP5522 - Copy.JPG
"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin