Venus Over the Moon

Discuss binoculars.
aae0130
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Venus Over the Moon

Post by aae0130 »

Last evening it was clear-ish for a little while so I took that opportunity to break out the Oberwerk 100 SD.

From my back yard I got to play around a little. M42, M48, M45, the Hyades, Venus, and a little sliver of moonwere the available targets. There was a slight thin cloud cover but bright objects were peering through. Venus was sitting just over the moon and just under M45. That realm of the sky was relatively clear.

Neighbors decided to cook out on the deck so lights became an issue. I moved upfront to the driveway. It’s lit up with streetlights but I still had a good vantage point to view the moon and Venus.
3070EFDF-B60E-4091-AA45-2D1C77ED6CED.jpeg
Binocular Telescope: Oberwerk BT-100XL-SD
Mount: Manfrotto Nitrotech 608 on an Oberwerk TR3
EP pairs: Oberwerk 70 degree flat field 22, 14, 7, and 28mm RKE
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Venus Over the Moon

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice pic; looks like my view last night... Those are some really nice bino's, I bet the views were great!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Sonny. Upon mouse click up magnification your image becomes vertical, and reveals the excellent image that you captured. Thanks for sharing this on here Sonny, and that Oberwerk 100 SD that you have pictured is a fine instrument.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great set of binos, definitely a cut above! Thanks for showing us the pic Sonny.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
aae0130
Earth Ambassador

Post by aae0130 »

Last night I had clear sky for the early part of the night. I got Venus and most of M45 squeezed into a 2.8 degree field. Very pretty...... Scanned the Orion complex a bit and then blinded myself with the half moon.
My area weather report has mostly cloudy with a period of about 2 hours of partly cloudy. I am going to use that time to try to glimpse Venus passing through the Pleiades. Crossing my fingers.
aae0130
Earth Ambassador

Post by aae0130 »

No luck.....just a gray heavy sheet of clouds with no breaks.....and it looks worse for tonight. :cry:
aae0130
Earth Ambassador

Post by aae0130 »

Tonight the weather gave me a small break. The prediction was mostly cloudy but the early evening was patchy with big enough breaks to squeeze in some views. It was not fully dark when I set up but the moon was in the clear. I popped in a pair of 7mm ep’s into the BT100 and peered at it for a little while until clouds obscured it. The western sky cleared a bit so I locked onto Venus. At 80x you can make out the shape as halfmoon like. I swapped out the ep’s with a 14mm pair and the sky was still a bit blue. I slewed over to M45 and could only see the dipper shape. I stayed focused on it as the sky darkened and I could see the fainter stars turning on one by one. I switched out the ep’s again, this time going with 22’s. I pointed at the moon again which had little translucent clouds passing in front of it. Was kind of eerie looking. I managed a pic through the eyepiece with my phone. The sky was on its way to becoming a full sheet of white so I packed up and went in the house. Not a long session but I won’t complain.
1B099F7A-1F97-4EAC-8B95-2C161DC7A2C7.jpeg
aae0130
Earth Ambassador

Post by aae0130 »

Last night was another non-predicted Clear-ish Sky. Just some translucent patches of clouds. The moon was lighting up my yard enough to be able to read. I scanned the Orion complex then swept through the Hyades. I have never considered the Hyades to be anything special often ignoring it. I guess that is because it didn’t look like much in the limited small fields of my previous instruments. My opinion has changed.....Scanning that region at 2.8 degrees is stunning including NGC 1647 which was a new one for me.
M36, M37, and M38 in Auriga were visible however they lacked contrast due to the bright moonlit sky.
After getting my fill of clusters I turned to the bright objects. Venus and then the moon. At 8x and 0.9 degrees I noticed an odd looking star at the fields edge at about the 9 o’clock position. It was 4th magnitude variable star c Virginis. Very cool!
EF5C903B-C595-41AA-83AB-F746002E4010.jpeg