Skywatcher standalone tripod

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
munkster
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Skywatcher standalone tripod

Post by munkster »

Am just organising myself for a proper assault on the night sky, and have now got my mount (Star Adventurer Pro) and scope (72ED) but think my tripod may not be the best for the application (it was moving a bit when I was trying some early attempts).

I haven't seen much talk of the SkyWatcher tripods, eg. (https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/sk ... hread.html) - I can only assume that this is a perfectly fine and capable tripod to carry my mount and scope, and am considering buying it.

I'm not intending to be a SkyWatcher fan boy, but it just seemed to make sense. Anyone care to talk me out of it or suggest a better alternative? Thanks! :-)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Skywatcher standalone tripod

Post by Bigzmey »

This SW tripod is of good quality. I use the same tripod for several mounts. You will likely need to come out with some sort of adapter to attach it to the Star Adventure Pro. I believe Star Adventure Pro has M10 threads and needs flat surface, while SW tripod has 3/8 bolt and spike on top.

See my post here how I adapted this tripod to SW AZGti mount

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2550
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
munkster
Earth Ambassador

Post by munkster »

Great thanks. In the end I bought the cheaper "Star Adventurer" tripod which seems to be well regarded and half the price. Presume the SA will simply attach to that given it's called after it...
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Interested how you get on with the setup, enjoy. Pictures most welcome. What camera are you using?
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

munkster
Earth Ambassador

Post by munkster »

I've got a stock EOS 550D...