Az GTi - very tempted.

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Az GTi - very tempted.

Post by pakarinen »

GCoyote wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:36 am Between the rain and the smoke there's just no rush.
:Boo: Ain't that the truth...
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Just came back from another session with AZ GTI and should say I really like this little mount. The session went smoothly from alignment to the end. No cables (except a very short one between the external battery and the mount). Amazing how little juice it uses. I use a small portable battery typically used as a phone power bank. I have charged it last time in January, had 3 sessions with it and it still shows 4 out of 4 bars. Love point and go operation from SkySafari. As long as SS has it in the database I can goto to it even if the target is from most obscure catalog.

The only minor unresolved imperfection is that the GoTo still places targets of center but always within 1 degree or less, so not an issue for me. It could be because I am running it close to max capacity. My 102mm frac OTA weights 9.2 lb. Rings, diagonal and EP must be getting it really close if not over 11 lb.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
PhilPhree United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by PhilPhree »

So, I have one of these. I like the ease of set-up and use via SynScan Pro I have the hand controller too.
The hand controller by the way doesn't come with instructions and it is not intuitive I got frustrated with it and have never used it!
Another complaint is that the battery pack wire developed and/or came with a short in it that I noticed on the third use. I just wiggle it now and wait for red light put lid on check red light to make sure it's on and then get WiFi connected and run the app.
The obvious third problem is it doesn't hold a lot of weight 5kg/11lbs but I have a counter weight to help with balance and that works for me.
Can't wait for Strain Wave Gears (Harmonic Drive) mounts to come down in price. I have to reming myself that I can buy a 12"SCT and mount for the same price as the entry level Rainbow Astro or HOBYM.
Meanwhile I might get a second one of these for travel and running two solar scopes or my small Make without having to get out and set up the big GEM which is reserved for the big scopes on good long nights.
If I can help trouble shoot issues for you I will try. Plus I have some documentation I have compiled from the web.
Smoke has cleared, in Denver anyway Clear skies abound!
Recently I have been doing almost exclusively Solar viewing. I have two Lunts a 40mm & a 50mm which I can triple stack. One to use for imaging and the other for visual. Two Lacerta Herschel Wedges Big & Sm with 120mm & 95x1300 refractors using go to alt/az mounts and my big goto EQ.
:Astronomer1:
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:01 pm
Gfamily wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:03 am Well, I succumbed
Curious to hear about your long(er) term experiences after you've had it for awhile.
Still delighted with it in combination with the small refractor.

I've not tried using it in equatorial mode, or for anything other than lunar/planetary imaging in Az mode.

Since last year, I have also used it with Sky Safari 6 Plus in addition to Stellarium Plus - and I think that SS6+ gives a much better interface.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company