Az GTi - very tempted.

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Az GTi - very tempted.

Post by Gfamily »

Definitely tempted by the SW Az GTi mount.

I have a decent tripod and a Star Adventurer Wedge, so it works be nice to have a compact mount.
And the encoders allowing you to loosen the clutches ans manually move it around the sky without losing alignment, which would be neat.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Az GTi - very tempted.

Post by Lady Fraktor »

They do have some nice features and the dual encoders are a nice option.
It would be nice if more EQ mounts had this.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

It's a nice idea, when it works. I had Az GTi for ~month and had 3 sessions with it. Two went OK and one was a nightmare.
Mechanically/electrically it is well made. However, firmware and/or app have a few glitches in it.

Depending on which firmware version you get, you can run the scope either on left or right side of the mount. There is no version which supports both. There is a firmware/app combo which let's you run it in EQ mode. You will need to get a wedge and counterbalance for it. It is still a beta version and it is not compatible with some of AltAz modes.

Some of the star alignment routines crash your mount. I figured out for my mount version that I can run it only with scope on right side and only if you align using 2-stars mode, but not 3 stars or North pole.

Supposedly, it should run as left side only, out of the box, but mine was right side only. :lol:

Forums say if you want reliable tracking in GoTo mode you should turn off encoders after alignment.

It is very nice when it works. No wire clatter, runs nicely from SkySafary. Hopefully, I will figure out all little things to get reliable and consistent operation. After all, some users do AP with it. It is just disappointing that tow years after initial release it is still glitchy.

Here is report on my session from hell when I tried to run it in the left side mode with 127mm Mak. Funny thing, they sell it as a package with 127mm SW Mak mounted on the left side. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=501

Here are a couple of CN threads which are must read for anyone thinking about buying it.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6584 ... tructions/
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6615 ... l=%2Bazgti
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

:facepalm3:
I thought this was the new modified EQ-3/2 mount, Skywatcher is naming their mounts too similar...
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:26 am :facepalm3:
I thought this was the new modified EQ-3/2 mount, Skywatcher is naming their mounts too similar...
Also not to be mistaken for the AZ GTE which is similar to the GTi, but doesn't have the encoders, so you can't manually move it whilst keeping the alignment.
I found a bundled scope and mount and thought it sounded a good deal until I noticed the difference.
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
astrodroid
Earth Ambassador

Post by astrodroid »

Thinking of upgrading my SW EQ2 to one of these. I have a Starquest 130p which at <3kg will easily be ok for the capacity limit, even on eq mode with counterweights.

But in future I may go for a 6 inch SCT such as the C6.

So first question is will I just need the mount head and can I mount it direct onto my eq2 wedge?
See here for pic of mount.
https://www.altairastro.com/skywatcher- ... 2222-p.asp

Second question is will the az-gti work ok with a C6 in eq mode, so with counterweights? Anyone tried this? Thanks
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

What EQ-2 wedge are you referring to?
A EQ mount does not require a wedge.
astrodroid
Earth Ambassador

Post by astrodroid »

Ah sorry, so I can it screw direct to the mount in some way? Or I need to buy something else?
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've considered an Az-GTI (along with bunch of other mounts :roll:), but have been hesitant after reading things like the links Bigz posted. Too much potential hassle for me; I'll stick with my occasionally glitchy push-to for now. OTOH, some people love 'em, so you might have a great experience.
Last edited by pakarinen on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
astrodroid
Earth Ambassador

Post by astrodroid »

astrodroid wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:29 pm Ah sorry, so I can it screw direct to the mount in some way? Or I need to buy something else?
Sorry still a newbie so don't know the correct name, but can it bolt on to the tilt part of the EQ2 where I set the altitude setting? There is a round base with 3 screws, under the RA setting circle.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The equatorial mount tracks the sky properly once it is polar aligned, a az/ alt mount like the Az GTi has to do it in a step pattern, this is why they are not used for long exposures.
Mounting a az/ alt mount on top of a equatorial mount would not give you any benefit.
You could design a adapter plate to mount the Az GTi onto the EQ-2 tripod but I imagine the EQ-2 tripod would not be stable enough for the load anyways.
astrodroid
Earth Ambassador

Post by astrodroid »

Ok thanks!
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

Well, I succumbed

In addition, I've been very fortunate in that I've been given the loan of an Altair Astro Lightwave 72, and I've found it works really well with my AZ GTi

With such a wide field of view, alignment is straightforward even without a finderscope, and the scope is so easily within the payload of the mount that targets are reliably within the eyepiece, so if I can't see something I'll know it's because the sky is rubbish rather than it being the GOTO being rubbish.

At one point early in my astronomy purchases, I bought a second hand 6.7mm eyepiece, but I've never had a scope that was useable with it, but with the Lightwave it was giving really good views of Saturn and Mars this evening (albeit with a narrow field of view).

I've been really impressed too by the AZ GTi - setup and alignment are so straightforward, and the app's 'best tonight' function suggests targets that might not have come to mind.

I particularly like that there's been an interface to it built into the Stellarium Plus app - so select a target in the planisphere app, and the scope will go to it.

So I can really recommend the use of the AZ GTi with a smallish ED refractor.
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 pm The equatorial mount tracks the sky properly once it is polar aligned, a az/ alt mount like the Az GTi has to do it in a step pattern, this is why they are not used for long exposures.
Mounting a az/ alt mount on top of a equatorial mount would not give you any benefit.
You could design a adapter plate to mount the Az GTi onto the EQ-2 tripod but I imagine the EQ-2 tripod would not be stable enough for the load anyways.
You can mount the AZ GTi mount on a wedge and use it with the (more advanced) Synscan Pro app.

But the 5kg payload would still be a limitation
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Gfamily wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:03 am Well, I succumbed
Curious to hear about your long(er) term experiences after you've had it for awhile.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Any recent experiences with this mount?
I have thought about one for my C90 Mak :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ylem wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:22 am Any recent experiences with this mount?
I have thought about one for my C90 Mak :)
I still like it. Should be a good match for C90.

Pros: compact and lightweight, no wires, controlled from your phone or pad, compatible with SkySafari, long battery life, stable if you put it on a better tripod.

Cons: GoTo and tracking not very accurate in AltAz mode.

GoTo places targets within 0.5 deg, sufficient for visual observing, but better would obviously be better. :)

GoTo and tracking accuracy seems to depend on the scope weight and dimensions. In my hands it was most accurate with 80mm frac, and good enough with 102mm frac and 127mm Mak. Interestingly, it failed to complete alignment with 6" SCT even though it weights about the same as 102mm ED frac or 127mm Mak. I guess AzGti is not good with short and chubby scopes.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

pakarinen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:39 pm I've considered an Az-GTI (along with bunch of other mounts :roll:), but have been hesitant after reading things like the links Bigz posted. Too much potential hassle for me; I'll stick with my occasionally glitchy push-to for now. OTOH, some people love 'em, so you might have a great experience.

From your signature, it looks like you pulled the trigger and put the small Mak on this mount.
How is it working for you?
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

No, I have a manual SW AZ5. Although at this point, I'd reconsider the AZ-GTi if I decide to try EAA at home.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Okay thanks. I'm watching a few items but haven't settled on one yet.
Between the rain and the smoke there's just no rush.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)