SW AZ5 versus Twilight 1

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

SW AZ5 versus Twilight 1

Post by pakarinen »

Curious if anybody has experience with the SW AZ5 (not the AZ5 that's a TW 1 clone) compared to a TW 1.

The AZ5 looks like it has a shorter arm on it than the TW so I'm thinking it's more stable than the TW?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Re: SW AZ5 versus Twilight 1

Post by Refractordude »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:32 pm Curious if anybody has experience with the SW AZ5 (not the AZ5 that's a TW 1 clone) compared to a TW 1.

The AZ5 looks like it has a shorter arm on it than the TW so I'm thinking it's more stable than the TW?
First mistake I made in the hobby was buying a Twilight I for my 120mm f8 refractor. It just did not work. Wobble time was about 12 seconds. Highpoint Scientific would not take it back. Luckily I was able to sell it close in price of what I paid. What size scope will you be using?

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'd use it for my ST120 - 120mm f5, about 10-11 pounds fully loaded. I could swap the 8x50 finder for an RDF to save some weight but I really prefer an RA finder to hunching down behind the scope. And maybe a 102mm Mak that's yet to be acquired.

I've been looking at an M2C also, but I'm not sure I want to give up slo-mo controls. Thought i might get an M1V for my ST80 to see how I like the lack of slo-mo, but that's $150 I could put toward an M2C. Guess I could always sell it if I didn't like it.

The other issue is encoders. I have Astro Dev's on the TW 1 and love 'em; I could buy a kit for an M2C for sure.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:39 am I'd use it for my ST120 - 120mm f5, about 10-11 pounds fully loaded. I could swap the 8x50 finder for an RDF to save some weight but I really prefer an RA finder to hunching down behind the scope. And maybe a 102mm Mak that's yet to be acquired.

I've been looking at an M2C also, but I'm not sure I want to give up slo-mo controls. Thought i might get an M1V for my ST80 to see how I like the lack of slo-mo, but that's $150 I could put toward an M2C. Guess I could always sell it if I didn't like it.

The other issue is encoders. I have Astro Dev's on the TW 1 and love 'em; I could buy a kit for an M2C for sure.
I like to use google images to see what scopes are being used with a particular mount. Click the image.
Attachments
image 4.PNG
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Parkerinen - I'd be wary of putting a scope that size on that mount. Not the same mount for sure, but my experiences mirror Refractordudes's with
the Twilight I. Used with the SV102T & it took 6-10 seconds to settle & any wind made it unusable. I went with a M2C mount & it handles the load
well, but - I very much miss the slow motion controls to the point I rarely use it. Should note here the MC2 with extension is on the Twilight I tripod
with no problems. At higher magnifications it is difficult to track. Keeping up with a crater on the moon is a challenge & though it is not my favorite way to observe visually I set it on the SW AZ-EQ6 GT and let it do the tracking.

Please keep us updated on your search.
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I haven't experienced bad shakes with the 120mm on the TW1. Damping time is on the order of 1-2 seconds. It's tolerable, but I'd prefer something a little more stable if there's something better that doesn't weigh a ton.

I have yet to try the plywood plate arm "fix" for the TW1. I do want to try that before buying anything new. Some claim it works wonders. Just have to get the impetus to set up my table saw.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:25 pm I haven't experienced bad shakes with the 120mm on the TW1. Damping time is on the order of 1-2 seconds. It's tolerable, but I'd prefer something a little more stable if there's something better that doesn't weigh a ton.

I have yet to try the plywood plate arm "fix" for the TW1. I do want to try that before buying anything new. Some claim it works wonders. Just have to get the impetus to set up my table saw.
120mm f/5 makes a difference. My 120mm f/8 is 40 inches long. The Vixen Porta II Tall might work. There is also a motor for it.

https://agenaastro.com/vixen-porta-ii-m ... -plus.html