Advice on Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro GOTO Mount & Tripod

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
Joe...UK
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Advice on Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro GOTO Mount & Tripod

Post by Joe...UK »

Hello everyone....my first post on your site please be kind..

I would like your help or reviews if you have had the luxury of using the "Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro GOTO Mount & Tripod"...…

I think my main issue is my current scope......I am using Dobsonian Sky-Watcher classic 250p f1200mm 10" telescope, I want to take it off the current wooden mount & my worries are can the NEQ6 mount and tripod cope with the size and weight of my current telescope tube (I am not sure of my current telescopes tube weight..... without limiting the NEQ6's facilities in any way?

I would appreciate any of your experiences with this mount

Thank you in advance, hope anyone can help as I am fed up with the frustration & manual labour of finding our night sky delights and then trying to track them manually, its there, its gone, its there, its gone arrgggh

Regards Joe
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Advice on Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro GOTO Mount & Tripod

Post by JayTee »

This is a quality EQ mount so all you have to worry about is the payload weight. The payload capacity for this mount is 40lbs (18.1 Kg) so, as long as your OTA is not heavier than this, which I doubt, you should be good to go. Now if you're thinking this will be an AP setup, keep in mind that it is best to keep you payload weight to no more than 50 - 60% of max capacity. If the OTA weight takes you past this number, consider getting a smaller scope to start your AP journey.

As for determining the weight of your OTA, it is a simple procedure. Step on your bathroom scale, note your weight (don't judge!), next pick up the OTA and weigh yourself again this time holding the OTA. Do a little math and viola you now know your OTA weight.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lokifish
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

The 250P OTA weighs about 28 lbs with accessories. This is within limit for the NEQ6 for visual.

If AP is in your future, the EQ6-R Pro would be the minimum to go for. Your 250P is the same size (and weighs slightly less) than my SN8 with hood, and I can pull 8 minutes subs on calm nights. The mount can do better (see link below), but the 250P (and my SN8) are more sail than OTA on breezy nights. If dead set on the NEQ6, then JayTee's smaller scope suggestion would be the way to go.

http://www.astronomyforum.net/astronomy ... -gear.html
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If this is strictly for AP then the mount will carry it but as Lokifish has mentioned the large cross section of the telescope tube will make it a sail if the breeze starts to blow.
The setup would be a bit awkward for visual with the focuser high off of the ground so a step would be needed to view.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people