SW AzGti upgrades

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

SW AzGti upgrades

Post by Bigzmey »

ISkyWatcher AzGti GoTo AltAz mount has some nice features. I like compact size, light weight, 11 lb load capacity, side saddle design and ability to control from SkySafari. However, performance out of box were hit and miss, with shakiness and GoTo accuracy been main issues.

When I got the mount in the first place I felt that the stock legs were the main weak point. I switched right away to the Slick tripod which improved stability considerably.
AzGTi-Slik.jpg
In this configuration it handled 80ED frac nicely but with 127mm Mak it still had lots of shakes. I suspected that not just the legs but also the weak saddle contributing, so for my next upgrade I have focused on both issues.

I got M10 to 3/8" Berlebach adapter from Vixen
Berlebach.jpg
which with a bit of filing
T1-legs.jpg
fits nicely Twilight I tripod
T1legs-adapter.jpg
AzGti pier extension then fits the 3/8" side of the adapter.

Next step was to replace the saddle. ADM sales this nice conversion kit.
ADM-saddle.jpg
Plying the thing aluminum cover exposes 4 bolts holding AzGti saddle.
AzGTi-plate.jpg
The saddle is replaced with ADM plate
AzGti-ADMplate.jpg

And ADM saddle is attached in turn to the plate. Here is the final product
AzGti-final.jpg
Happy to report that my new Stellarvue 102ED, which loaded weights 10lb+ is rock solid on the updated AzGti. Not a single shake even when focusing on planets at high power.
SV-081619.jpg
I am starting to feel good about AzGti, now just need to sort out some GoTo inconsistency.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: SW AzGti upgrades

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice mods, Andrey! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Exparrot United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Exparrot »

Nice upgrades!

I got mine recently, but haven't had any chance to take it out for a run. I've got it on a Berlebach Report 212 and it seems to be very sturdy. I like the looks of that ADM saddle upgrade - I may do that as well. It's impressive that your SV102 handles well on it. That gives me hope for my ES102!
Jerry

REFRACTORS: Svbony S503-80ED | Meade 390 | AR102 | AR152
NEWTONIANS: Apertura AD-10
CASSEGRAINS: Celestron 5, 6, 8 SCT | Celestron 4se Mak | Orion 127mm Mak | SkyWatcher SkyMax 102 Mak
MOUNTS: ZWO AM3 | Celestron AVX | Nexstar | UA DoubleStar | DSV-1 | Celestron CG-4 | SkyWatcher AZ-GTi
EYEPIECES: 2-1-2 Plossls | Orthos | ES Wide Angles | A lone Siebert Optics Planesphere

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Exparrot wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 pm Nice upgrades!

I got mine recently, but haven't had any chance to take it out for a run. I've got it on a Berlebach Report 212 and it seems to be very sturdy. I like the looks of that ADM saddle upgrade - I may do that as well. It's impressive that your SV102 handles well on it. That gives me hope for my ES102!
I bet it is rock solid on Berlebach Report 212. I highly recommend ADM saddle upgrade. I feel it helped considerably to kill the vibrations from focusing at high powers.

Now I am sorting out inconsistency in GoTo. I suspect it might be balancing issue, so I will play with counterbalance next time.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Earth Ambassador

Post by Exparrot »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:58 pm

I bet it is rock solid on Berlebach Report 212. I highly recommend ADM saddle upgrade. I feel it helped considerably to kill the vibrations from focusing at high powers.

Now I am sorting out inconsistency in GoTo. I suspect it might be balancing issue, so I will play with counterbalance next time.
I hope you can sort out the GoTo issues. Please update us as you make progress. Since I haven't tested mine outside yet, I may have GoTo problems, too, and just not know it.

In the meantime, I've been checking out the WiFi connectivity. I've had success with a laptop, an iPhone and iPad, but no luck with an Android phone.

Don't know if you're interested, but have you seen this USB cable from FirstLightOptics?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-wa ... ounts.html

It allows you to connect the mount directly to a computer/laptop without having to have a Synscan hand controller. I picked one up and have been testing it with SkyTools. It works very well.
Jerry

CASSEGRAINS: Celestron 5, 6, 8 SCT | Celestron 4se Mak | Orion 127mm Mak | SkyWatcher SkyMax 102 Mak
MOUNTS: ZWO AM3 | Celestron AVX | Nexstar | UA DoubleStar | DSV-1 | Celestron CG-4 | SkyWatcher AZ-GTi
EYEPIECES: 2-1-2 Plossls | Orthos | ES Wide Angles | A lone Siebert Optics Planesphere

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Exparrot wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 am

I hope you can sort out the GoTo issues. Please update us as you make progress. Since I haven't tested mine outside yet, I may have GoTo problems, too, and just not know it.

In the meantime, I've been checking out the WiFi connectivity. I've had success with a laptop, an iPhone and iPad, but no luck with an Android phone.

Don't know if you're interested, but have you seen this USB cable from FirstLightOptics?

It allows you to connect the mount directly to a computer/laptop without having to have a Synscan hand controller. I picked one up and have been testing it with SkyTools. It works very well.
Good to know about the cable Jerry! I have not tried to connect it to anything else but Android phone, and it worked out from the box with Android. It may have to do with particular model of Android phone or firmware version on Az Gti.

According to reports on forums AzGti should come with firmware set for left side AltAz only operation, but one can upgrade the firmware to right hand AltAz/EQ mode. Mine came out of box configured for right hand AltAz/EQ mode. I had a "fun" session trying to run it in left hand mode, before I figure it out. :lol:

Earth Ambassador

Post by Exparrot »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 am
Exparrot wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 am

Good to know about the cable Jerry! I have not tried to connect it to anything else but Android phone, and it worked out from the box with Android. It may have to do with particular model of Android phone or firmware version on Az Gti.

According to reports on forums AzGti should come with firmware set for left side AltAz only operation, but one can upgrade the firmware to right hand AltAz/EQ mode. Mine came out of box configured for right hand AltAz/EQ mode. I had a "fun" session trying to run it in left hand mode, before I figure it out. :lol:
Actually, I should correct my earlier statement about Android - I can connect the Android phone to the mount's WiFi network, but the Synscan app itself won't connect. Fortunately, my old iPhone 7 is working okay with it. I just think it's cool that you can grab this thing with a scope on it and take it outside, pull your phone out and start doing GoTos in a matter of a few minutes.

In the pictures, I noticed your scope was on the right-hand side. Can't believe it came out of the box, already upgraded. That must have been some fun trying to figure out why the mount was doing everything in reverse!!! Wow! :o
Jerry

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I got it in the first place for no wires and ability to run the scope from SkySafari on my phone. When it works it is totally cool! :)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I had a chance to play more with AzGti last weekend. I added counterbalance and experimented with encoders and backlash settings.

The mount has very little if any backlash, so turning on backlash control did not help the goto accuracy. Adding the counterbalance and turning on the encoders (after alignment) did seem to improve goto and tracking accuracy. Now both of them are consistent.

The only issue left is that GoTo while always getting the target within 1 degree FOV, places it consistently of center to the lower right. This is not backlash related, and re-aligning on target does not help.

At least this time the mount managed to locate many and different kinds of targets (including Moon and planets) with similar precision. So, good progress.

Next time I like to check if the lower right offset is reproducible between the sessions, and if so I will look for the ways to correct it manually.
AzGti-CB.jpg

Rainmaker
Moon Ambassador

Post by Rainmaker »

Just wondered if you found the source of the pointing error that placed the target off centre?
I recently bought another AZ-GTi after foolishly selling my first one to a mate. I also made some changes to mine,

Changed to RRS TVC-23 tripod, made an adapter and added a better saddle clamp, installed Talent Cell 3000mA pack into the mount and installed a holder for the Synscan handset.
Matt in Oz
Rainmaker “Excalibur” 18” F3.5 +SIPS @ 1860mm
TMB-LZOS 152mm F7.9 @ 1200mm
Takahashi FOA 60mm F8.8
Takahashi FC76DC F7.5
Skylight AR101.15

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Rainmaker wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:59 pm Just wondered if you found the source of the pointing error that placed the target off centre?
I recently bought another AZ-GTi after foolishly selling my first one to a mate. I also made some changes to mine,

Changed to RRS TVC-23 tripod, made an adapter and added a better saddle clamp, installed Talent Cell 3000mA pack into the mount and installed a holder for the Synscan handset.
Hi Matt. No, still remains an issue. I have tried all that I could.

It seems that the accuracy of GoTo and tracking depends on the load. With lighter scopes like 80mm frac and 127mm Mak I am getting the target within 1 deg or less.

With 102mm frac the accuracy goes down but it still gets the target within 1.5 deg. So still usable.

I tried my 6" SCT once and it did not go well. It has similar weight as my SV102ED but narrower max FOV (~1 deg), so after alignment the GoTo would always place the target out of FOV. :lol:

Rainmaker
Moon Ambassador

Post by Rainmaker »

I hope to be testing mine in the next few days, when the clouds go away !!!
I will only use the FOA60Q or FC76DC Tak on the AZ-GTi so should be well within the weight/size range of the mount.....
Attachments
MIS_7856.jpg
MIS_7855.jpg
Matt in Oz
Takahashi FOA 60mm F8.8
Takahashi FC76DC F7.5
Skylight AR101.15
Rainmaker
Moon Ambassador

Post by Rainmaker »

Here's my power pack installed:

TalentCell 3000mA @12V, comes with its own charger and cables, although I made my (shorter) cable from bits I already had...
Attachments
MIS_7803.jpg
Matt in Oz
Takahashi FOA 60mm F8.8
Takahashi FC76DC F7.5
Skylight AR101.15

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

That's classy! I was concerned that 3000mA will not provide enough juice so I got 6000mA.
Mak-AzGTi-C.jpg