Polar Scope Question

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
bigfish
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Polar Scope Question

Post by bigfish »

I'm sure this has been asked a million time before but nothings coming up in Google search.
When my reticle is turned to resemble a clock face the weight bar is roughly 45 degrees sticking up to the right.
Doe this matter?
I know how to calibrate the reticle and have done so already. I'm just wondering about the position of the reticle relative to the weight bar.
It seems like the weight bar level to the ground and the reticle straight up-down would be better. But maybe I'm over thinking this. :think:
Thank you!
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Polar Scope Question

Post by yobbo89 »

I have no idea lol maybe this could help :think:

i thought only the southern hemisphere had to adjust "rotate the little star map" as the southern pole star is off center..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

No, the position of the counterweight bar is totally irrelevant to the operation of the polar scope. Just ignore it. What matters is that the reticle is oriented correctly.

Better quality mounts have the polar scope reticle mounted so that it is in the correct orientation with the counterweight bar down. This is only a matter of convenience. Cheaper mounts just slap the thing in without care, since it really doesn't matter either way.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

yobbo89 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:13 am i thought only the southern hemisphere had to adjust "rotate the little star map" as the southern pole star is off center..
No. The north polar star is off centre, so the reticle has to be rotated to match the position of the night sky. If you don't rotate the reticle, your polar alignment will be off by anywhere up to 1.5 degrees. That is adequate for visual observing, but hopelessly inadequate for AP.

The southern hemisphere doesn't have a polar star. It does have a dim constellation of faint stars that have to be placed in the correct position (both X-Y and rotation) to align the mount.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

KathyNS wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:31 pm No, the position of the counterweight bar is totally irrelevant to the operation of the polar scope. Just ignore it. What matters is that the reticle is oriented correctly.

Better quality mounts have the polar scope reticle mounted so that it is in the correct orientation with the counterweight bar down. This is only a matter of convenience. Cheaper mounts just slap the thing in without care, since it really doesn't matter either way.
Thank you for clarifying that!
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.